Newbie Pension Advice

Options
OK, I'm a newbie and very unknowledgeable about this stuff so please go easy on me!

I'm 60, have been self-employed for the last 20 years. I will have 2 workplace pensions from previous employments, one of which is offering me (through Aviva), a few options:

1. £1500 yearly pension
  2. £13k cash = £20k to buy an income from another insurance company
  3. £33k to buy an income from another insurance company

It's small beer, admittedly. I don't need the income yet, so I had thought doing nothing would mean these values would increase, the longer I did nothing. But according to Aviva that's not necessarily the case as the value of their investments, as well as my remaining lifetime came into play. So maybe I should take the income now anyway in order to have more remaining years to enjoy it?

I realise I'm probably asking for a simple answer to a complex question, where much more information about my financial state would help, but is there a 'no-brainer' advice for this particular pension? If so, I'd welcome it!

Many thanks!

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I presume that should be "13k cash + £20k to buy an income from another insurance company" ?

£33k / 1.5k = 22 years. Odds are you'll live longer than 22 years.

Does the £1.5k have any inflation proofing ? Annual bumps of CPI or RPI or whatever? Need to know that first.

Buying an income will not get you anywhere near £1500 from £33k unless its based on your life only with no inflation lifts, no nothing. £1500 in 20 years might only be worth £750 then.
  • PeterB99
    Options
    Thanks, AnotherJoe. The quote from Aviva says "no increase" so I guess that means no CPI/RPI.

Nevertheless, from your calculations I should probably stay with Aviva because I won't get a better return.

So the question is, should I just start taking it now?

Thanks again!

Pete
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There isn't a no-brainer answer - but you do need to ask yourself some questions.

Why do you want to take the money now? How would it impact on your tax position? Leaving the cash invested should mean that it grows - not sure why you believe it won't - anything in the paperwork to help answer that?). As you get older, the starting level of pension should be higher because the pension will be payable for fewer years.
  • AnotherJoe
    Options
    PeterB99 wrote: »
    Thanks, AnotherJoe. The quote from Aviva says "no increase" so I guess that means no CPI/RPI.

Nevertheless, from your calculations I should probably stay with Aviva because I won't get a better return.

So the question is, should I just start taking it now?

Thanks again!

Pete

I think you could get a somewhat better return by taking a reasonable risk (especially if this money isn't crucial to you)

Contrast the two possibilities.

1. take £1500 year for (say) 25 years - I'm going to assume thats a reasonable life expectancy at age 60. Total amount £37,500. However, factor in inflation, and in todays terms, with inflation at 2.5%, thats £28,000 you'd actually receive. The final year 25 payment for example, even though it would be £1,500 would be worth just £817 in today's money.

2. Take the £33k. Invest it in an income fund with a record of providing 3.5% income (there are a fair few around). That would be £1,115 a year. However that money should keep track with inflation so over 25 years that is £28875, by year 12 it woudl be returning more in real terms than the £1500 and you'd still have the £33,000 (which by then would be worth £18k in todays money. Total return over 25 years nearly £47k. But, here's the risk, it could provide more and it could provide less.

OTOH you could argue that having more money aged 85 is neither here nor there (espcially if you are covered by your other pensions) and theres something you'd rather spend the £33k on right now. Perhaps something to set the house up for retirement such as renovations/decorating, a new kitchen you'd benefit from, funding a house move, a decent car or even a few good holidays and a lifetime of memories?
  • zolablue25
    zolablue25 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    I think you could get a somewhat better return by taking a reasonable risk (especially if this money isn't crucial to you)

Contrast the two possibilities.

1. take £1500 year for (say) 25 years - I'm going to assume thats a reasonable life expectancy at age 60. Total amount £37,500. However, factor in inflation, and in todays terms, with inflation at 2.5%, thats £28,000 you'd actually receive. The final year 25 payment for example, even though it would be £1,500 would be worth just £817 in today's money.

2. Take the £33k. Invest it in an income fund with a record of providing 3.5% income (there are a fair few around). That would be £1,115 a year. However that money should keep track with inflation so over 25 years that is £28875, by year 12 it woudl be returning more in real terms than the £1500 and you'd still have the £33,000 (which by then would be worth £18k in todays money. Total return over 25 years nearly £47k. But, here's the risk, it could provide more and it could provide less.

OTOH you could argue that having more money aged 85 is neither here nor there (espcially if you are covered by your other pensions) and theres something you'd rather spend the £33k on right now. Perhaps something to set the house up for retirement such as renovations/decorating, a new kitchen you'd benefit from, funding a house move, a decent car or even a few good holidays and a lifetime of memories?
    If he takes the full £33K would it be taxable?
  • AnotherJoe
    Options
    zolablue25 wrote: »
    If he takes the full £33K would it be taxable?

Good point. No, great point!

OP, will it?

If it is it depends how much other taxable income OP will have if he could take it out in a few chunks and avoid tax, or not.
  • PeterB99
    Options
    I currently pay tax on my income. My expectation is that I will probably be paying tax on income even after I retire. The exact text is "£33,413.62 to buy an income from another insurance company". The other figures in my original post are described as "tax free cash".

That doesn't clarify it for me, but I seem to be embarrassingly ignorant! :rotfl: Does it help?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure