TV Licence article Discussion

Comments

• halogen wrote: »
    I think its worth it purely for Radio 4 and BBC4

That's because you enjoy Radio 4 and BBC4.
    Although I do think the new iPlayer set up is rubbish.

You're happy to pay for something you think is rubbish :huh:
  • It means that, theoretically at least, those that can afford to pay more than others.
    It does away with TVL and all the problems they cause. Which will have the added benefit of saving money.

Let's likewise put VED on Council Tax.

That should save me a good few quid, what with everyone contributing to it, and the need for enforcement being eliminated.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Let's likewise put VED on Council Tax.

That should save me a good few quid, what with everyone contributing to it, and the need for enforcement being eliminated.
    I never mentioned Council Tax - I said general taxation. Personally I'd like to see Corporation Tax increased, tax loopholes for multinationals closed and income tax on the very highest earners increased. But I think that's outside the scope of this discussion.

Interesting argument about the VED. To some extent it does currently tax those who use it more more (e.g. a household with 5 cars will pay more than a household with 1 car) and it taxes the polluting of cars which is a good thing. But it does have the problem of it not taxing the _use_ of the cars which is really what should be taxed. I think the ideal solution would be to scrap the VED and increase petrol duty but with a rebate for miles driven - so gas-guzzling cars would pay significantly more than greener cars.
    But, overall, I don't think scrapping VED and adding the cost to general taxation would be a bad idea.
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    EachPenny wrote: »
    I never listen to Radio 4 or watch BBC4.... can I have a tax rebate please?
    Does not compute.....!
    Not appreciating BBC4 I just about get but radio4? are you alive?
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    That's because you enjoy Radio 4 and BBC4.

You're happy to pay for something you think is rubbish :huh:

Even in its current rubbish form it's better than what I've used of netflix.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Interesting argument about the VED. To some extent it does currently tax those who use it more more (e.g. a household with 5 cars will pay more than a household with 1 car) and it taxes the polluting of cars which is a good thing. But it does have the problem of it not taxing the _use_ of the cars which is really what should be taxed. I think the ideal solution would be to scrap the VED and increase petrol duty but with a rebate for miles driven - so gas-guzzling cars would pay significantly more than greener cars.

Without taking the thread way off topic, the current combination of VED/Fuel duty actually achieves both your objectives. VED is a tax on ownership which discourages the purchase of larger and more polluting vehicles (and also penalises older vehicle owners :mad:) and fuel duty disincentivises use of the vehicle, with owners of larger (and less efficient) vehicles being further penalised indirectly through paying more tax per mile.

In some areas there are problems with the number of cars owned, and removing the ownership taxation (VED) might unlock latent demand for car ownership in these areas.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    halogen wrote: »
    Does not compute.....!
    Not appreciating BBC4 I just about get but radio4? are you alive?

The only radio I have is in the car, and I only listen to CD's when I'm driving (the nonsense spouted on most 'talk' radio programmes is not conducive to safe driving ;))
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • I never mentioned Council Tax - I said general taxation.

OK, so substitute General Taxation for Council Tax. The principle is the same.
    To some extent it does currently tax those who use it more more (e.g. a household with 5 cars will pay more than a household with 1 car)

But it doesn't tax those who don't drive at all, whereas your suggestion for the alternative to the TV Licence, does tax those who don't watch TV at all.
  • halogen wrote: »
    Even in its current rubbish form it's better than what I've used of netflix.

But Netflix is entirely voluntary, whereas the suggestion is to make paying for the BBC compulsory, irrespective of using TV.
  • Out of interest, I was LLF for a while.

So what you benefited from, you now want to deny to others?

Shades of I'm alright Jack.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure