Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,912Posts
    • 24,217Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Tales from The Shire
    • 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    Tales from The Shire 19th Jul 17 at 10:11 AM
    Tales from the Shire

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
    J R R Tolkein

After many happy years in the Garden of England we have started a new adventure in The Shire. Although still reeling from the stress and upheaval of the house move, we can see the potential for a wonderful home and life here. It's going to be amazing!

There is much to do and, as with any great journey, company is much appreciated. So I hope my forum friends will join me on the road.

A new chapter (and diary) has begun.

Fortune x

For those who are interested in how we got to be here, my previous diaries can be found at:

Two Pennies Left - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
    The New Adventures of Fortune - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5605109
    Last edited by Fortune Smiles; 04-05-2018 at 8:46 PM.
    Mortgage: 8% paid Overpayments: 3368.59 Emergency Fund: 75%

Read my work here and here (scroll down for text). Free to read but ratings and reviews very much appreciated.
Page 47
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 13th Nov 18, 1:34 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 24,217 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    All sounding good here, Fortune (except the flaring hip!).
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Thanks Karma. The hip is settling down slowly.

Great to catch up and see how well you’re doing. Love it..well done FS Sorry about the hip, am sure Pilates and yoga will help.

X
    Originally posted by brizzlegirl
    Thank you too Brizzle. I have high hopes for yoga. I used to go regularly and it really helped put everything straight... or bendy... if you see what I mean

An image of you ironing wearing a diamond tiara, iron in one hand champagne in the other
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Isn't that how everybody irons DIA? If not, it should be

Fortune x

Read my work here and here (scroll down for text). Free to read but ratings and reviews very much appreciated.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 13th Nov 18, 2:00 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 24,217 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Drama
    Lodger friend split up with the boyfriend this morning I helped her stage a dawn raid to get some of her possessions out of his house He was there He did not behave well
    We are both now back at home safe and sound although I'm not sure she's heard the last of him. She is a lovely person and deserves so much better. Hope Santa is listening and brings her a much better new year.

Less dramatic achievements include:
    • I have finished the commission and the client is happy Just need to rearrange pick up/drop off and collection of the cash
    • reconciled the bank accounts. I discovered one error In our favour
    • reduced Mr F's pension contribution. It will help to make up the shortfall when lodger friend moves out and we can always put it back up later
    • booked into yoga for tomorrow morning. The instructor said to go along and see if I like it before signing up
    • bought 6 Christmas presents I often buy a family present that can be shared rather than individual presents. This year I found some fabulous artisan chocolate advent calenders which had 15% off and a further 1.5% cashback from TCB. This bought the cost within budget. I'll just have to make sure I send them off in time
    • went to WI. Friend drove and paid for parking so I bought the G&T's. One raffle ticket purchased. One raffle prize won A box of Cherry Bakewell biscuits. Costs to be met from personal spends.

I'm going to do the meal planning and shopping this afternoon but probably not much else. Very tired after this morning's adventures. Feel a nap coming on

Fortune x

• bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 13th Nov 18, 3:20 PM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 6,237 Thanks
    bexster1975
    Sorry to hear about lodgers situation. It's often the nicest people who get stuck with idiots!

Hope yoga goes well tomorrow. Sounds like other things are going well. Still think you should turn this into a book

Bexster
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 13th Nov 18, 7:15 PM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 8,885 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Does that mean lodger friend is becoming the lodger again?
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £1600ish/£2,500
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 15th Nov 18, 3:05 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 24,217 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Sorry to hear about lodgers situation. It's often the nicest people who get stuck with idiots!

Hope yoga goes well tomorrow. Sounds like other things are going well. Still think you should turn this into a book

Bexster
    Originally posted by bexster1975
    She is too nice for her own good Bexster. And we agree that she doesn't know how to pick a good 'un.

Yoga was lovely thank you. I am hoping to be able to publish a collection of my short stories sometime. My latest is inspired by all our money saving efforts

Does that mean lodger friend is becoming the lodger again?
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    Sadly not Wish. Lodger friend had decided to buy her own place and not move in with boyfriend - thank goodness. So we will be losing her at some stage. Probably at end of January now though as all the stress has distracted her from progressing the purchase.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 15th Nov 18, 3:19 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 24,217 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Let Go
    Lodger friend's boyfriend has involved other parties and it's all getting very messy. She's a bag of nerves I'm supporting her as best I can - making sure she has a least one good meal a day inside her and a shoulder to cry on. Things came to head today so I've advised her to talk to the Police, at least informally. What is wrong with people!

We both went to yoga yesterday which was lovely - very relaxing. The instructor kept encouraging us to "let go" and I think I might have let go of my get up and go as I was exhausted for the rest of the day and even went to bed for a nap Managed to sneak in coffee and a bun with lodger friend beforehand though Friend paid as a thank you for my support

We're off to walk FDawg together soon and I'm going to get some homework done for my writing course this evening. Mr F is away for work so I need to take advantage of the peace and quiet

Happy Thursday all

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Nov 18, 3:41 PM
    • 58,105 Posts
    • 239,389 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your writing course
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 15th Nov 18, 4:06 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 1,281 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    sending you both virtual hugs fortune and hope the situation sorts its self out soon.
    CRx
    Mortgage £82,000, due to end July 2036. 4/11/18 Mortgage £79,872.13
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

228Posts Today

1,489Users online

Martin's Twitter