Water meters - pros and cons?

scootermacc
scootermacc Posts: 65 Forumite
edited 19 October 2021 at 4:28PM in Water bills
Does anyone have any experience or advice on whether gettnig a water meter might save money or not?

I have a natural reluctance against the idea in case my billis astronomical, but this is emotion not fact.

Anyone help?
Named after my cat, picture coming shortly

Comments

• pak2
    pak2 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Normaly the water company them selves are very good at working out what u would use, thus enabling to give a basis on whether u will save.

In general single old people will save, families won't save, single young people will save for while until 1 becomes 2, becomes 3.

Some companies apparently will offer to remove meter if it doesn't work out cheaper for you, but I'm not sure how this would be cost effective?

Pak
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
  • thanks for link woby_tide.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • barmonkey
    barmonkey Posts: 7,159 Forumite
    its got to be worth a go. our bill has just gone up 17% this year (thank you south west water) so im just waiting for them to do the site survey.
    WWSD
    (what would Scooby Doo)
  • my mum is considering a water meter - think her best bet is to ring her water company and ask them for advice :) She is with SSWW
    :rotfl:five children? I must be mad........ :rotfl:
    aug grocery spend - £166.45
  • rizla01
    rizla01 Posts: 7,254
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My pennies-worth.

Well ther are me and the other half (And she baths EVERY night- faR TOO EXCESSIVE) AND WE SAVED ALMOST HALF OF OUR BILL BY GOING ON A WATER METER.

We drink 8-10m, cuppas a day, have a w/machine and D/washer and water the garden when required. We even occasionally wash the cars (4 times a year)..

All depends on your usage but if only one or two in houshold then don't think about it- do it! (IMHO)

Riz
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    rizla01 wrote:
    My pennies-worth.

Well ther are me and the other half (And she baths EVERY night- faR TOO EXCESSIVE) AND WE SAVED ALMOST HALF OF OUR BILL BY GOING ON A WATER METER.
    Riz
    If you can wean the missus onto a shower - you typically use only a quarter of the water needed for a bath.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Having changed to a water meter in January 2005, my bills are now considerably lower than last year. It remains to be seen whether or not they will stay as low as that, but the monthly payment is based on the answers given to a questionnaire by Severn Trent that is supposed to work out your average water consumption. They ask everything from how many times do you use the toilet per week to how much you use a hose pipe.

I use a dishwasher 3 times week, use washing machine 4 times a week, I have an 11 year old son, and between us we have 2 baths and approximately 10 showers per week. My bill has dropped from £34 (last years bill, so would probably be higher than that now) to £16.60 per month. Obviously when you pay by direct debit you only actually pay 8 month whereas now I am paying over 12. This is still a saving of £80+ though. I found all the information on the website for Severn Trent including the questionnaire to work out water consumption and cost so it will be worth you having a look at the site for your own supplier.
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    rizla01 wrote:
    We drink 8-10m cuppas a day

f$£@ me! I'd imagine your main use of water is flushing the toilet after that much tea :eek:
  • rizla01
    rizla01 Posts: 7,254
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Woby_Tide wrote:
    f$£@ me! I'd imagine your main use of water is flushing the toilet after that much tea :eek:

Ha Ha. Just noticed the Typo. Well spotted woby. :rotfl:

Actually Squeeky, She'll have to wean me into connecting it up.

Just got to put the tiles up and it'll get done. (To quote mens usual phrase ---- One Day!) ;)
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback