Flight delay compensation, all other EU airlines

Options

Comments

• Andy_Coates
    Options
    Thanks Caz for the quick reply, that seems a bit unfair but will have to take the lower amount by the sounds of it!

Cheers
  • RosieS27
    Options
    Hi, I booked flights for six passengers with American Holidays in the UK to fly to Vegas last month. Return flights were supposed to be Vegas to Chicago then onto Dublin with American Airlines.

However flight was delayed leaving Vegas (due to maintenance of the aircraft) meaning that we would not be able to catch our connecting flight to Dublin. As there was no other way of getting back to Dublin from Chicago, American Airlines advised that we would have to stay in Vegas another night.

The following day we were then transferred to flights from Vegas to Philadelphia then onto Dublin arriving home 21 hours later. Although American Airlines covered hotel for 1 night and gave us $12 each food vouchers, do we have any chance of claiming compensation for extra expenses incurred in Vegas, at Dublin Airport car parking and by having to take an extra day off work ?

Also, need to know, do I complain to American Airlines or to the travel agent American Holidays ?

Thanks
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    RosieS27 wrote: »
    , do we have any chance of claiming compensation for extra expenses incurred in Vegas, at Dublin Airport car parking and by having to take an extra day off work ?

Also, need to know, do I complain to American Airlines or to the travel agent American Holidays ?

as your delay was on a non-EU carrier on a flight departing from outside the EU, EU261 does not apply
    have you tried your travel insurance? I suspect anything to AA may end up with some goodwill miles rather than cash.
  • NROLLINSON
    NROLLINSON Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 3 August 2019 at 1:33PM
    Options
    Hello, new to forum please exuse ingnorance and lengthiness!

I would like advice on whether we are entitled to twice the comp from Aer Lingus for a recent trip and how best to approach.

Due to fly Lyon to Dublin 23.07.19 flight was cancelled that evening (6.5 hrs after departure time) after a technical fault discovered whilst on tarmac.
    Plane cancelled the following morning and we were put onto an alternative AER Lingus flight from Geneva - Dublin on 24.07.19.
    I would assume we qualify for 250 euro each member plus reimbursement of the travel to Geneva?

The new flight (different plane) was also cancelled later that evening due to a technical fault also discovered whilst on tarmac. Due to depart 17.20.
    The following morning that plane was still awaiting the parts and we were put onto another booking with BA (partner airline) to Heathrow followed by AER Lingus Heathrow- Belfast on the 25.07.19, departed 22 hours after second flight departure time.

Overall journey time was 23.07.19. To 25.07.19 - 53 hours. We are both self employed and this had a big impact on our working week.

We have one case number and the bookings were all changed under our original booking reference, would we be able to claim directly as two claims?

Thanks in advance.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NROLLINSON wrote: »
    Hello, new to forum please exuse ingnorance and lengthiness!

I would like advice on whether we are entitled to twice the comp from Aer Lingus for a recent trip and how best to approach.

Due to fly Lyon to Dublin 23.07.19 flight was cancelled that evening (6.5 hrs after departure time) after a technical fault discovered whilst on tarmac.
    Plane cancelled the following morning and we were put onto an alternative AER Lingus flight from Geneva - Dublin on 24.07.19.
    I would assume we qualify for 250 euro each member plus reimbursement of the travel to Geneva?

The new flight (different plane) was also cancelled later that evening due to a technical fault also discovered whilst on tarmac. Due to depart 17.20.
    The following morning that plane was still awaiting the parts and we were put onto another booking with BA (partner airline) to Heathrow followed by AER Lingus Heathrow- Belfast on the 25.07.19, departed 22 hours after second flight departure time.

Overall journey time was 23.07.19. To 25.07.19 - 53 hours. We are both self employed and this had a big impact on our working week.

We have one case number and the bookings were all changed under our original booking reference, would we be able to claim directly as two claims?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Please see my previous post just a few days ago about the same scenario here...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=76106307#post76106307

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • welshgirlmel
    welshgirlmel Posts: 557 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 August 2019 at 8:23PM
    Options
    Complained to Norwegian Air for flight delay in June from Gatwick to Chicago. Also about the premium cabin which we paid for but did not get due to a change of plane. Used template on MSE to complain. 8 weeks later they agreed to pay us 75% of the flight cost back plus 600 Euros per person. Didn't need to use Resolver but they were incredibly slow. I think it's because they have had so many complaints. Their website is advertising 787s and they have few of these at the moment. We were on Wamos Air! Such an old plane, no entertainment.

At first, they queried the delay saying it was on 3 hours 20 but I had evidence it was longer - only the text message from my mobile company saying we had landed in the US but it was enough for them to double-check. I didn't think they would accept it, but they did admit it was longer in the end, over 4 hours late getting to the destination so managed to get the full 600 Euros entitlement per person.

Don't give up if you have to complain and thank you MSE for giving me the knowledge and tools to do so!
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done, a good result.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • johncas1
    johncas1 Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As BA are on strike and my return flight malta to Gatwick is cancelled decided to fly out and fly back different airline ryanair just booked one way now malta to east midlands live on leicester so convenient but have already booked travel from Gatwick to Leicester for return which is non refundable so will BA offer compensation BA say you can book on next available flight but when's that if next one is full could be waiting days
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    60 word sentance with no punctuation makes you post almost impossible to deciper...
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Knysna
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    Hi,

Use the airlines (Edelweiss) website to claim directly from them, it's usually quicker.

Good luck.

Hi there,

Apologies for the late follow up. I've received the following from Edelweiss:

"[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Thank you for your message which we received from SWISS dated 19.06.2019.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We are pleased that your family had considered Edelweiss when planning this trip. All the more we regret that you were affected by the delay of the flight from Zurich to Mauritius on the 07.04.2019.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]It is true that flight WK70 on 07.04.2019 could not take place according to schedule. According to our information, the flight WK70, from Zurich to Mauritius, was delayed for 3 hours and 25 minutes.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]In accordance with Regulation (EC) 261/2004, a flight is deemed to be delayed if it meets the following criteria: Departure delayed by 4 hours for flights with a distance of more than 3,500 kilometres[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Furthermore, we would like to point out that the law applicable in the EU Member States according to ECJ ruling of 19 November 2009, according to which compensatory payments are due in case of a delay of more than 3 hours, does not apply in Switzerland. Judgments given by the ECJ after the signing of the aviation agreement will not be accepted. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused to you and your family by this incident and look forward to welcoming you all again on board Edelweiss despite this unpleasant incident.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Kind regards"[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I'm hoping this isn't the end of the road? :mad:
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport