Moving to Ayrshire

Options

Comments

• Lupus_Lou
    Lupus_Lou Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    This is an old thread but just wanted to say thank you very much to everyone who has posted and glad to see a few others were informed along the way.
    We are considering Scotland because of Brexit. We would be Brexiles/Brefugees.
    One of my colleagues is from the area and her view is the Scotland has a much fairer society and fewer of the "hangups" of England.
    I would have to leave my job but as a Registered Nurse I can get a job just about anywhere even if on a lower grade/wage.
    The next steps for us are to visit the area next spring and see what we think and like.
    In the meantime, thank you to everyone who took the time to reply

Lou x
    I used to be broke now I'm just skint
  • Lupus_Lou
    Lupus_Lou Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, just realised I wasn't the OP!����
    I used to be broke now I'm just skint
  • kimplus8
    kimplus8 Posts: 968 Forumite
    Options
    Ayrshire native.

Avoid Kilmarnock, Irvine, Saltcoats, Stevenston, Kilwinning, Kilbirnie and Ardrossan.
    Avoid Maybole.

I was about to post a thread like the OP but I see they have beaten me to it. I currently live in Galloway but I want to move closer Glasgow,Ayr or Paisley as there a far better job opportunities there for me. I am just about to finish up my degree and look for a job so Im thinking Ayrshire will give me the country feel but is a quick and easy commute to get the benefits of being close to Glasgow.

what is it specifically about the areas above that you would avoid?
    I have heard that the 3 town can be very rough but have little experience of them to make this judgement myself. I was considering maypole, Troon, prestwick, Kilwinning and kilmarnock or Paisley/Renfrew.
    they all seem very competitively priced with the Renfrewshire area being higher priced as expected. being closer to the airport etc.
    If I move to the north Ayrshire area I will have a choice of 3 hospitals that are a reasonable commute for work (nurse).
    any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    I would vote for Kilmarnock and East Ayrshire, I live here and things are fine
    baldly going on...
  • SPOWER
    SPOWER Posts: 283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This really is a silly question. Not sure what responses you want.
  • Supatramp
    Supatramp Posts: 693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ayrshire native.

Avoid the inland ex-mining areas (eg Dalmellington, Patna, Cumnock, New Cumnock, Darvel, Auchenleck). The inhabitants are fiercely loyal to these places but it would be quite difficult to integrate as a newcomer.

While I would agree with most of this, but Darvel?? It isn't an ex mining area for a start, it's an old lace making area, and as an incomer to Newmilns, next door to Darvel, of 30 years, I would totally disagree with the integration matter.

Quite frankly, as the reply ranged over all Ayrshire, I suspect that the person has little experience of actually living here!!!
    David.
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Supatramp wrote: »
    While I would agree with most of this, but Darvel?? It isn't an ex mining area for a start, it's an old lace making area, and as an incomer to Newmilns, next door to Darvel, of 30 years, I would totally disagree with the integration matter.

Quite frankly, as the reply ranged over all Ayrshire, I suspect that the person has little experience of actually living here!!!

I moved to Darvel about 35 years ago. Back then it was incredibly insular which meant I got bullied at school. But back then it was still a lace town where half the population lived, worked and shopped in the town and you would always be an "incomer".

Now all the factories are demolished and are housing estates. The population has doubled, there are only a handful of shops left, and the demographics have changed hugely, not least because pretty much the entire population commutes to Glasgow or EKB.
  • Colmarnock
    Options
    Hasbeen wrote: »
    Would not relocate to Scotland, Most of the professional people I know are thinking about moving to England to get away from an oppressive government and high taxes etc.:o

Such a below the belt political dig with no factual basis. Only hearsay.

I’m professional, pay the extra 1% tax on my salary and I’m very happy to remain in my country thank you very much.

And that is a fact 😉
  • Supatramp
    Options
    I see that as often happens here, the original OP has never uttered another word on this thread. What happened to their grandiose plans?

Neither has the person who did a 'hatchet job' on the whole of Ayrshire, how ridiculous and totally unhelpful. I can only hope that the OP ignored their post and instead listened to the more considered replies!
    David.
  • Kit1
    Kit1 Posts: 422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Supatramp wrote: »

Neither has the person who did a 'hatchet job' on the whole of Ayrshire, how ridiculous and totally unhelpful. I can only hope that the OP ignored their post and instead listened to the more considered replies!

I did just that. We haven't found the right place yet and sadly we may have to put it on hold for a while due to elderly parents and their health issues. But one day we will get there.
    Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport