Merging Credit Card Limits Question

Sad_Dad
Sad_Dad Posts: 878 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
In the past I have applied for new interest free offer cards whilst having an existing card with the following companies:-

MBNA
Tesco
Halifax
Barclaycard

I have then been able to transfer the limit from the existing card to the new card.

I currently have the following 3 cards with decent limits:-

Santander Zero
Nationwide
Lloyds Balance Transfer

It looks like Santander and Lloyds do allow merging of limits but I don't know about Nationwide.

Has anyone ever done this with the above three or any others cards (for future reference)?

Thanks.

Comments

• You can only merge limits for cards within the same group/provider/lender.

Are you saying you’re looking to apply for more cards from the 3 listed with the idea of merging them?
  • Sad_Dad
    Cheers Gary. Exactly that. The larger my balance the more I have to stooze.
  • How exactly are you planning on stoozing with these cards?

Do they offer money transfer deals?
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,639 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Sad_Dad wrote: »
    Has anyone ever done this with the above three or any others cards (for future reference)?
    I have "redistributed" (as opposed to "merged") credit limits between two Halifax credit cards quite recently (a couple of months ago). It can only be done over the phone. I reduced the credit limit on my existing Clarity credit card and assigned it to my newly-opened Balance Transfer card. Turns out the maximum credit limit on the new card was 15k, so I couldn't redistribute as much as I had hoped.
  • Sad_Dad
    Thanks Fingerbobs. Redistributed is the better term. I did the same with my clarity card but I went into the branch.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    !!! wrote: »
    How exactly are you planning on stoozing with these cards?
    The objective here is to continue to stooze, not to start stoozing.

Poster has a stoozed balance held elsewhere.
    They have a nice new 0% fee free BT card, but the stoozed balance exceeds the credit limit.
    So they are simply creating additional, sufficient, credit limit to maximise the deal.
    Done it many times with several lenders.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    I currently have the following 3 cards with decent limits:-

Santander Zero
    Nationwide
    Lloyds Balance Transfer

It looks like Santander and Lloyds do allow merging of limits but I don't know about Nationwide.

Thanks.
    Santander don't allow merging had Zero card for long time with a large limit, got an Everyday card with 0%. Wanted to redistribute limits to allow more stoozing on the everyday card but they don't allow it - they did offer to increase my Zero card though :rotfl:
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    nic_c wrote: »
    Santander don't allow merging had Zero card for long time with a large limit, got an Everyday card with 0%. Wanted to redistribute limits to allow more stoozing on the everyday card but they don't allow it - they did offer to increase my Zero card though :rotfl:
    Is this very recently? 3 months ago I successfully did exactly what you tried to do. And it's not the first time I've done it either.
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,639 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks Fingerbobs. Redistributed is the better term. I did the same with my clarity card but I went into the branch.
    No probs. I thought we were probably on the same page, but I wasn't quite sure whether "merge" might mean something different, so I just wanted to be clear :-)
  • I have "redistributed" (as opposed to "merged") credit limits between two Halifax credit cards quite recently (a couple of months ago). It can only be done over the phone. I reduced the credit limit on my existing Clarity credit card and assigned it to my newly-opened Balance Transfer card. Turns out the maximum credit limit on the new card was 15k, so I couldn't redistribute as much as I had hoped.
    I can also confirm that Halifax allows merging of credit card limits, up to 15k. I wonder if this is the maximum limit on Halifax credit cards in general.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure