Advice please possible trip to Florida

Maybe getting a windfall later this year.
My dream is to spend some on a family trip to Florida.
My wife, myself and our 2 children, who will be 14 and 12 next year.

I really want to go to Disney, particularly now for Star Wars area.

I am thinking 10 days, maybe 7 outside parks, budget style, with possibility of visiting other areas, Miami? Everglades? Maybe 3 days in a resort hotel.

Anyone have any tips, or advice from experiences in Florida?

Many thanks,

Comments

• Milky_Mocha
    Milky_Mocha Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    agray2812 wrote: »
    Maybe getting a windfall later this year.
    My dream is to spend some on a family trip to Florida.
    My wife, myself and our 2 children, who will be 14 and 12 next year.

I really want to go to Disney, particularly now for Star Wars area.

I am thinking 10 days, maybe 7 outside parks, budget style, with possibility of visiting other areas, Miami? Everglades? Maybe 3 days in a resort hotel.

Anyone have any tips, or advice from experiences in Florida?

Many thanks,

You will have an amazing time if you plan well. There is a myriad of advice but a good starting point is deciding the limit of your spend and then working within that. My family and I made this trip earlier in the year as first timers and it went really well. We opted for Disney only, though.

Another thing you would decide is where to stay. There are numerous options, each with their different perks. Disney offer free dining at certain times of the year on some of their resorts The next opportunity for that would be a 2020 stay. This was one of the reasons we opted to stay at an on site Disney villa.

If you're unsure about your budget or how much of a windfall you're likely to get, then start on disney's official website and the website of the other attractions you hope to visit and start building an itinerary of things you'd really like to do. You can price them up to give you an idea but I wouldn't buy direct from them before checking alternative approved resellers. This site has an article that lists some of such resellers. We used one of them and made a huge saving.

Once you're a bit more clued up on an itinerary and budget, you can visit disboards.com. It's a forum of highly experienced Disney holidaymakers. You'll get tips from them as well as on here, I'm sure.

All the very best.
    The reason people don't move right down inside the carriage is that there's nothing to hold onto when you're in the middle.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The Disney parks are excellent. You really need to plan on spending a full day in each park. The water parks are good ways to have a break from the pressure of trying to get around the main parks in one day, but if you are going to limit the number of 'Disney days', not going to one of the water parks would be the sensible choice.

Universal Studios is also excellent if you like roller-coasters and other thrill rides. One or two days at Universal Studios would give you another take on the American theme-park idea. SeaWorld is also worth the entrance fee and will take a full day.

10 Days is good time to go for, but I think the Disney Parks, Universal Studios and SeaWorld need 8 or 9 days to do them properly and I personally don't think there are any other attractions in Florida that are better than these parks. Busch Gardens should be next on your list if you want more thrill-rides, and if your visit coincides with a launch from the Kennedy Space Centre, then being there would be great if you are in anyway interested in space exploration.

The Florida weather can be a bit extreme - heavy rain is common in the afternoons of the Summer months, but after an hour or so it usually stops, and after another hour the pavements can be bone dry. Getting under cover is usually easy, so we managed without rain capes.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Start reading: https://www.thedibb.co.uk
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Time of year. where you are flying from, will all effect the price.

I don't think , what you have on your wish list can be done in ten days

Six Disney parks, 3 at Universal alone

If you have Tesco CC points they can really help towards hotel. 3x face value at hotels.com
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • sandsy wrote: »
    Start reading: www.thedibb.co.uk

I second this
    also consider more than 10 days, when we went adding another week only cost us £300 for the hotel, flights same price, obviously would spend whilst out there on these extra days, but will allow some rest days and not come home thinking you need another holiday!
    You will have a fab time whatever but planning is the key

HTH
  • Just be aware that Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge is opening first in California, and not until the end of August in Florida - so don't plan on going during the school holidays and hoping to get in.
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Some great advice above.

Just one comment, don't underestimate driving distances in the USA:
    https://goo.gl/maps/51m9emUtMcNsSgFv5
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    How well do you and your family cope with heat and humidity? Some will find the weather insufferable in the summer.
  • agray2812
    agray2812 Posts: 36 Forumite
    edited 4 June 2019 at 6:34PM
    Some great tips guys thankyou.

I am a teacher so unfortunately tied to school holidays, was thinking end of July next year, so Star Wars should be up and running by then.
    They seem to have good offers on n Disney website for next year, 14 days for price of 7. Not convinced I want 14 days at Disney, but might consider extending to 2 weeks.
    Was hoping to do universal as well, not sure about Busch gardens although I do love the rides!

Also, do ticket discounters only offer park entry or can they do deals on packages as well (including meals and accommodation)?
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you're set on Disney, you can do the 14 days for 7, but remember you don't have to go every day! If you want 8, 9, 10 days it's worth it. Universal you can do in a day or two.

Hotels - you could do a resort hotel as you get early entry to the parks, or you could do a self catering apartment, there's the Grove resort in Orlando that has 2 bed apartments with all the facilities. It's a short drive from Disney, but be aware you will waste more time commuting and parking. I stayed here for 1 night and I would stay again, it also has its own water park. There's many ways to do Disney. Disney hotels have character breakfasts (expensive though - $30 for breakfast if I remember correctly!), some hotels you can see the fireworks from at night and have good pools. (I stayed at Disney beach club and was really nice, it's just a shame I was working!)

Miami is a bit of a drive from Orlando! Also Miami driving is horrible, trust me I've done it! The highway has turn offs on the left and the right, so you have to be on the ball! There are other places to visit in Florida other than Disney
    I would suggest:
    St Augustine - 2 hours 20 from Disney
    Daytona if you like motor racing - 1.5 hours from Disney
    Kennedy Space Centre - about an hour
    Crystal River (swim with manatees!) - 1 hour 45 drive
    St Pete Beach - 2 hours
    Tampa - 1 hour 10
    Miami Beach - 4 hour drive from Disney!
    Everglades - 4 hour drive from Disney

If you want the drive Miami Beach is good, but more for the adults than the kids! St Augustine has more kid friendly activities to do - it's the oldest town in the USA apparently. I worked on a travel show about Florida, so know it very well know haha! (and I went on holiday there last year)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure