PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Muffins muffins muffins

Comments

• mumoftwo
    mumoftwo Posts: 1,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    CCStar wrote: »
    I do mine in the breadmaker, then cut into squares once cooked

Is that on the cake setting? That sounds like a great idea... Please let us know how you do it!!
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    nic82 wrote: »
    Sorry, I think this is probably a stupid question, but is a muffin tin different to a normal bun tin?

I guess perhaps a muffin tins "sections" are deeper? If so, maybe I could just make smaller versions, as all I have is one bun tin :confused:

You do really need a muffin tin, which as you say are much deeper than bun tins. Muffins need a lot of room ;) If you have paper muffin cases you might get away with using a bun tin as the case will help support the muffin.

I sometimes make a muffin cake in a tray bake tin and cut into squares, but you need to give it a bit longer in the oven.

I know people love their bread makers:) but really, what is the advantage of mixing muffins in a breadmaker ? One of the keys to successful muffins is not overmixing the ingredients or they won't rise properly. Surely a BM beats the hell out of them :confused: I'd find a mixing bowl quicker to wash up than the pan from a BM too.
  • vfairbrass
    vfairbrass Posts: 153 Forumite
    thriftlady wrote: »
    You do really need a muffin tin, which as you say are much deeper than bun tins. Muffins need a lot of room ;) If you have paper muffin cases you might get away with using a bun tin as the case will help support the muffin.

QUOTE]

I've probably posted this before but I avoided buying a muffin tin by making my own moulds from strips of card (cereal boxes) and tin foil. Strip of card 1.5 inch by 9 inch, bend into a circle and staple, cover with tin foil. I made 18 of these to start with and they have lasted for ages. Just put however many I want onto a baking tray, pop the muffin case (I used Supercook muffin cases from Sainsburys) inside and fill with mixture. Works a treat.
    Valerie
  • janeawej
    janeawej Posts: 808 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mel123 glad you liked them i am going to try your idea!

Thanks vfairbrass that sounds a good idea i might try it as i only have one 6 muffin tin and with 6 of us that dosent go far!!
    Member 1145 Sealed Pot Challenge No4 ;)
    NSD challenge not to spend anything till 2011!:rotfl:
  • Tartan_Mum
    Tartan_Mum Posts: 217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm sure this is a v silly question but here goes....

I really want to try making these muffins. I have the muffin tin to go in the oven but don't have paper muffin cases. I assume I need both or do you put the mixture straight into the tin?

I told you it was a silly question...
    #26 MFW 2023 challenge Small OPs are better than no OPs! Feb 2018 £231,000 / Apr 2042 Current £133,700 / March 2036
  • debtworrier
    debtworrier Posts: 250 Forumite
    thriftlady wrote: »

I sometimes make a muffin cake in a tray bake tin and cut into squares, but you need to give it a bit longer in the oven.

I know people love their bread makers:) but really, what is the advantage of mixing muffins in a breadmaker ? One of the keys to successful muffins is not overmixing the ingredients or they won't rise properly. Surely a BM beats the hell out of them :confused: I'd find a mixing bowl quicker to wash up than the pan from a BM too.

In my case the advantage would be not having to use my lousy electric oven, which takes forever to heat up and costs a fortune to run!

I've actually been wondering if these muffins could be made in the microwave?
  • bigpaws23
    bigpaws23 Posts: 455 Forumite
    Tartan_Mum wrote: »
    I'm sure this is a v silly question but here goes....

I really want to try making these muffins. I have the muffin tin to go in the oven but don't have paper muffin cases. I assume I need both or do you put the mixture straight into the tin?

I told you it was a silly question...

not a silly question at all. you don't need the cases if you grease the tins or have non stick ones :)
    Better for the environment and saves you money ;)

Enjoy!
    Bigpaws x
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    bigpaws23 wrote: »
    not a silly question at all. you don't need the cases if you grease the tins or have non stick ones :)
    Better for the environment and saves you money ;)

Enjoy!
    Bigpaws x
    Also, if you don't use cases (I brush the cups with oil) you don't lose half your muffin when it sticks to the paper case ;)
  • JAMIEDODGER
    JAMIEDODGER Posts: 4,339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hi all,

I really like the idea of making muffins to have for brekkie:)

I have looked on the recipe index but am a bit confused, some have baking powder and plain flour, didnt know if i could use SR flour instead? And it seems that lots have different ingredients depending on the overall 'flavour' or the muffin.

Has anyone a tried and tested failproof basic recipe that i can just change the main ingredient ie: banana, blueberry, raspberry etc?

November NSD's - 7
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The one I use all the time and never fail with is.....

300gm s/r flour
    150gms sugar (preferably soft brown or caster)
    1 medium egg
    175mls milk (supposed to be buttermilk - I use semi skimmed)
    125 mls veg oil

That's the basic mix - to which I normall add around 200 gms of fruit.

Sieve the flour, add the sugar and fruit. Mix egg, milk and oil and add to flour/fruit/sugar, stir but don't get rid of too many lumps.

Bake 190/gas 5 for about 20-25 mins - cool on rack or they'll go soggy.

These freeze really well too.

HTH
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure