Bank account fee 6 year limit?

Hi, I submitted an application to reclaim bank charges from Barclays after I spent years paying for an Additions account that I didn't want. I have received a reply saying that I am unable to claim because it was over 6 years ago. Is this correct? I still have all my bank statements. Thanks

Comments

• societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    . . . reclaim bank charges from Barclays after I spent years paying for an Additions account that I didn't want
    The first obvious question is, if you didn't want it, why didn't you cancel the account at the time?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Derbychick wrote: »
    I spent years paying for an Additions account that I didn't want. I have received a reply saying that I am unable to claim because it was over 6 years ago.
    You are time barred from complaint I'm afraid, you've left it too long...
  • Why are you in a position to judge me and my situation? Why waste time responding if you have nothing useful or interesting to say?
  • Thank you for confirming the time restraint. Can I also add the it was over 20 years so it isn't a case of leaving it too long. There was not the opportunity at the time ...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you for confirming the time restraint. Can I also add the it was over 20 years so it isn't a case of leaving it too long. There was not the opportunity at the time ...
    You always had the "opportunity" to cancel your fee paying account and open a free one.

You've simply left it too long to complain about it, not too long to cancel.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you for confirming the time restraint. Can I also add the it was over 20 years so it isn't a case of leaving it too long. There was not the opportunity at the time ...

The finance world has 2 relevant time bar rules - 3 and 6 year

3 year is from when you knew (or could reasonably have known) that you had a reason to complain

6 year is from the point you opened the account

The banks sending you an annual statement letter advising you of what you were paying for and advising of free alternatives is sufficient to trigger the 3 year rule and your account obviously meets the 6 year rule too, hence they have blocked it.

What societys child is pointing out is that if you were unhappy with the account, in order to consider waiving these rules, it would be queried by the bank why you didn't complain 20 years ago
  • P0123
    P0123 Posts: 75
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Derbychick, I completely agree, and empathise, with you!
    I once posted about a situation connected with my being out of work at the time - I got replies telling me to get a job, and the equivalent!! (They didn't know my personal circumstances, either.)
  • brown1950
    brown1950 Posts: 264 Forumite
    Hi, I submitted an application to reclaim bank charges from Barclays after I spent years paying for an Additions account that I didn't want. I have received a reply saying that I am unable to claim because it was over 6 years ago. Is this correct? I still have all my bank statements. Thanks
    im.

You have 3 years to claim FROM knowing when you could claim !
    So if your Additions account started 10 years ago and you only became aware you could claim for a refund 2 years ago then yes you can claim.
    When did you become aware you could claim ?
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You have 3 years to claim FROM knowing when you could claim !

You have three years from being reasonably aware of an issue which could lead to a complaint. Its a slight variation of what you are saying as you dont need to be told by anyone that you have a complaint.

In the case of packaged bank accounts, you have three years from the first annual benefit statement for example. Nothing in there says you can complain.
  • brown1950
    brown1950 Posts: 264 Forumite
    SonOf wrote: »
    You have three years from being reasonably aware of an issue which could lead to a complaint. Its a slight variation of what you are saying as you dont need to be told by anyone that you have a complaint.

In the case of packaged bank accounts, you have three years from the first annual benefit statement for example. Nothing in there says you can complain.

Contractual claims based on fraud or concealment by the defendant, or based on a mistake The period of limitation will not begin to run until the claimant has discovered the fraud, concealment or mistake or from the time at which the claimant could have discovered it with reasonable diligence s 32 of the LA 1980
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure