Contactless cards

Options

Comments

• 20SmthngSver
    20SmthngSver Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    I have requested and received none contactless versions of my NatWest and Barclays debit cards

I have also scratched the CVV numbers off the back of them, partially because they then cannot be used online if lost but also because they then cannot be used to reset Internet banking logon details

Hi. I know Barclaycard and NatWest credit cards are not enabled for opt-out, but Barclays and NatWest debit cards are. Just go in branch and ask and they will do it in front of you. You might be met with resistance, but they can't refuse.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This is not actually true. Read this link about how at the point of a Contactless card or mobile device touching a reader, it can be intercepted by someone nearby

From the article you refer to:

"Someone would probably have to be uncomfortably close to you to lift your card details without you knowing - in our tests, the card had to be touched against the mobile card reading device."

So no, they can't be "intercepted by someone nearby", the maximum "range" of a contactless card is about 4 cm. Scaremongering.

A bit like how you don't know if a skimmer is in an ATM, you don't know if card readers are fitted or tampered with remote stealing devices.
    If the card reader has been tampered with to steal details, it wouldn't matter what method you used to pay - it could still steal your details. In fact, it would be worse if you used chip and pin because it's a lot harder to claim back fraudulent payments if the fraudster uses your PIN.

It's a simple fact that Conactless cards directly opens you up to multiple traudulent transactions if stolen or lost.
    Except, in the real world, this doesn't happen. Your fears are not reflected by reality.

Card clash is another issue. You'd still have to remove the card from a wallet to ensure other cards aren't charged.
    What? How on earth is that an *issue*? Name one other payment method you can use without taking it out of your wallet.
    The other issue is Contactless taking the payment more than once.
    Nonsense, contactless payment systems can't just accidentally take payment twice. A payment can be processed twice (e.g. if the first attempt appears to be rejected by isn't), but this can happen with any payment method.
    If people have genuine concerns, then it's legimate for them to air them on this forum.
    Just because people have concerns, doesn't mean they are legitimate or well founded. Baseless scaremongering is baseless scaremongering.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What Ergates said. Lots of b*llocks is spread about contactless and that was a good takedown of it.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • 20SmthngSver
    20SmthngSver Posts: 512 Forumite
    edited 23 May 2019 at 11:09AM
    Options
    Ergates wrote: »
    From the article you refer to:

"Someone would probably have to be uncomfortably close to you to lift your card details without you knowing - in our tests, the card had to be touched against the mobile card reading device."

So no, they can't be "intercepted by someone nearby", the maximum "range" of a contactless card is about 4 cm. Scaremongering.

If the card reader has been tampered with to steal details, it wouldn't matter what method you used to pay - it could still steal your details. In fact, it would be worse if you used chip and pin because it's a lot harder to claim back fraudulent payments if the fraudster uses your PIN.

Except, in the real world, this doesn't happen. Your fears are not reflected by reality.

What? How on earth is that an *issue*? Name one other payment method you can use without taking it out of your wallet.

Nonsense, contactless payment systems can't just accidentally take payment twice. A payment can be processed twice (e.g. if the first attempt appears to be rejected by isn't), but this can happen with any payment method.

Just because people have concerns, doesn't mean they are legitimate or well founded. Baseless scaremongering is baseless scaremongering.

If people have concerns, they are completely legitimate! You have no right to say otherwise, especially without finding out why they have concerns. You can say "nonsense," but I do know of payment being taken twice. You don't have any authority or basis to say otherwise unless you're outright calling me and the other person liars.

I don't have Contactless cards, so I don't take my Oyster card out of my wallet to tap it. If you do, you'd have to remove the specific card you want to use to avoid clashing. Before Contactless bank cards people just used to tap their wallet or purse. Not an issue, I'm just saying. Technology is advancing all the time, people will always find ways to intercept a payment. It's the digital world we live in.

Anyway, you can dismiss everything as much as you like. You can have your opinion, but you're not really accepting of others opinions or concerns here and it's coming across aggressive instead of informative or corrective or reassuring. You're kind of twisting what I'm saying to suit you as well, so I don't see the point in continuing here.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    I have some sympathy with the above post. It is a matter of personal preference if to have contactless, and is no less a valid choice than having it.

All my cards are non-contactless except for those that don't allow the option (eg Barclaycard). 90% of my spending is done on Barclaycard and I use contactless extensively. My other cards I use infrequently and am quite happy to put the PIN in when I need to use them.

In any case, according to Actionfraud contactless card fraud is surging and reacued 1.8 million in 2018. That is a lot of £30 spends...

https://www.paymentscardsandmobile.com/contactless-card-fraud-surges-in-2018/
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    according to Actionfraud contactless card fraud is surging and reacued 1.8 million in 2018. That is a lot of £30 spends...
    'Surging' is an unnecessarily emotive term but could obviously be applied to the use of contactless as well as the abuse.

As ever, statistics can be cited and interpreted in different ways to support contrasting positions - £1.8m is actually only 60,000 £30 spends, i.e. about one for every 1,000 of the UK population, although the article refers to "Average losses investigated by detectives were between £90 and £652 but the largest single contactless card fraud case reached £400,000, stemming from multiple purchases", so the number of fraud cases will obviously be much lower than 60,000 and will presumably be closer to 10-20,000.

Likewise, the last line states "However, it should be made clear that, according to the latest UK fraud figures the actual proportion of all card fraud losses by value that were through contactless fraud was 3% in the first half of 2018".
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    I have now linked my card onto my phone. If I lose my phone, needs my thumb print to activate the card
    With all due respect, your phone screen is most likely to be full of your thumb prints and there is very little difficulty in acquiring them from there. (Especially if the phone is of any value, so can be sold once unlocked and cleared.) So it does sound secure, but in fact it is not.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    Options
    In any case, according to Actionfraud contactless card fraud is surging and reacued 1.8 million in 2018. That is a lot of £30 spends...
    Perhaps, but there were still only 2,739 reports of contactless card fraud in 2018 for 7.4 billion contactless transactions.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, absolutely agree contactless fraud is a very low percentage of the total. Not in itself a reason to not use contactless. However, if your wallet is full of contactless cards and you worry about the hassle should your lose it then you could consider making some of them non contactless.

It's an emotional thing as much as anythingvelse...
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    Emily_Joy wrote: »
    With all due respect, your phone screen is most likely to be full of your thumb prints and there is very little difficulty in acquiring them from there. (Especially if the phone is of any value, so can be sold once unlocked and cleared.) So it does sound secure, but in fact it is not.

If MI5 or the CIA steal your phone, then this might be the case. Your average pick-pickpocket/bag snatcher doesn't have the capability to replicate someones fingerprint after lifting it from their phone screen.

Anyone who *does* have that capability isn't really going to be interested in stealing a few quid with contactless payments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure