Options
2»

Comments

• Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    paragon909 wrote: »
    I've experienced 2 ATM issues one with TSB and one with MONZO. I'm Still im my 20s. So the my life hasn't become that boring that I need to log ATM records and amounts, Maybe you have autism, I heard people with that have a habit of recording or collecting stuff. Anyway, Yes I've made a complaint with Monzo which came to no help just staff saying i need to wait 3 months.

FOS Nope, Again it still takes 8 weeks, As for what issues are effecting me, Umm. Let me think. An ATM Machine doesn't give me my ESA money, Yes i've contacted DWP and they can't do anything. Monzo Can't do anything. Who can. TSB when it was the old system before they even done this system change, Refunded me within 48 hours.

Seems people are quite cynical on here like reading into my post to much. Just as I'm reading into yours and coming to the same conclusion. Which is no!

What's the point in using a bank such as Monzo then simply withdrawing all your money in cash to spend? It's much easier to just pay by card for everything otherwise it defeats the purpose of Monzo categorising spending.

Also if you were as organised with money as sausage_time then you probably wouldn't be so short of money that an issue with a small amount of money like this wouldn't be a problem.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    An ATM Machine doesn't give me my ESA money
    An ATM wouldn't know where the money in your account came from, so it is irrelevant that you get ESA. There are only 2 possibilities why you cannot withdraw money from your account
    1. you want to withdraw more than your balance, and you have no arrangements for an overdraft
    2. you have sufficient money in your account to cover your withdrawal but the bank has blocked your account for some reason

Which is it?
    TSB when it was the old system before they even done this system change, Refunded me within 48 hours.
    do you mean 'refund'? Why would they refund you if you couldn't draw money at an ATM? Was your problem with TSB different to the one you are now experiencing with Monzo?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jonnygee2 wrote: »
    Chargebacks take about 3 months.

You may be right, I've never had to do one, but the OP is not asking for a Chargeback, they are asking for an ATM failure to dispense to be resolved. There is no way that should take 3 months, 2 weeks is about the most I would accept. And I don't see how any bank could justify a 3 month turn round for any dispute, given that the customer can go to the FOS after no more than 8 weeks.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 May 2019 at 1:07PM
    Options
    I've experienced 2 ATM issues one with TSB and one with MONZO. I'm Still im my 20s. So the my life hasn't become that boring that I need to log ATM records and amounts, Maybe you have autism, I heard people with that have a habit of recording or collecting stuff.

Wow, you're a piece of work.

ATM disputes can and do regularly take a good while to look into as they involve Monzo contacting the owner of the ATM concerned and then waiting for its next balance, which could be in two days or could be in several weeks. This is roughly the same across all banks, it's not unique to Monzo - they're absolutely right about the maximum timescales concerned.

You've ruled out the only real option for anyone to even come close to helping you (a complaint to Monzo then FOS) because it takes too long. Therefore your only option left is to deal with it. £30 goodwill gesture for something that isn't actually Monzo's fault in any way is generous. Hope this helps.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I had bank accounts since the 1960's - never had an issue with ATM's.

Two bank mistakes with SO's and one own goal using online banking (paid the wrong person - fortunately a family friend)
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You may be right, I've never had to do one, but the OP is not asking for a Chargeback, they are asking for an ATM failure to dispense to be resolved.

ATM disputes are resolved via a chargeback, and the consumer rights that apply to all chargebacks apply to ATM disputes. Ultimately it is a problem with the merchant (ATM provider) rather than the bank.
  • JuicyJesus
    Options
    ATM disputes are resolved via a chargeback, and the consumer rights that apply to all chargebacks apply to ATM disputes. Ultimately it is a problem with the merchant (ATM provider) rather than the bank.

This isn't quite true. The ATM disputes process is a lot less formal than that for chargebacks, essentially being governed by interbank agreements. There's little limitation on who can operate ATMs, so banks are subject to dealing with random companies who are barely regulated (if regulated at all), trying to cajole them to balance random cash machines located in train stations, convenience stores and airports (which is great fun), and then essentially being left with believing whatever they say about the contents of the cash machines. And they have to then deal with people like OP in the meantime blaming them for it taking so long.

It's a sh*t system but it is what it is.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 16 May 2019 at 2:18PM
    Options
    This isn't quite true. The ATM disputes process is a lot less formal than that for chargebacks, essentially being governed by interbank agreements.

Never heard of this sorry. In an ATM dispute every bank I have worked for just process a normal chargeback to recover the money unless the ATM is their own. There is no other mechanism I have heard of for disputing card transactions.

It is true that there is no evidential requirement for an ATM chargeback, because in most cases there will not be evidence, and none is needed because ATMs are built to accurately record non-dispenses,

Also, as you point out many ATMs are not owned by banks, so how would interbank agreements be helpful?
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    An ATM wouldn't know where the money in your account came from, so it is irrelevant that you get ESA. There are only 2 possibilities why you cannot withdraw money from your account
    1. you want to withdraw more than your balance, and you have no arrangements for an overdraft
    2. you have sufficient money in your account to cover your withdrawal but the bank has blocked your account for some reason

Which is it?

do you mean 'refund'? Why would they refund you if you couldn't draw money at an ATM? Was your problem with TSB different to the one you are now experiencing with Monzo?

I'd read it as OP had withdrawn mney, but got no cash even though it showed up as a debit on their account,in which case I would expect the bank to need time to make enquiries with the ATM operaer to find out if there was a fault, but I may have misunderstood.

OP, have Monzo told you it *will* take three months, or that it *may* take *up to* 3 months?
    If this has happened very recently you may find that it is resolved faster than you expected.

Is the situation that you can't currently access your money, or that money is missing from your account, or that there was a one-off issue?
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • JuicyJesus
    Options
    Never heard of this sorry. In an ATM dispute every bank I have worked for just process a normal chargeback to recover the money unless the ATM is their own. There is no other mechanism I have heard of for disputing card transactions.

Link withdrawals aren't "card transactions" in the sense of Visa/Mastercard transactions, which are indeed subject to chargeback. The banks you worked for may have referred to the Link disputes process as "chargeback", but it isn't the same, and works on a different basis entirely.
    It is true that there is no evidential requirement for an ATM chargeback, because in most cases there will not be evidence, and none is needed because ATMs are built to accurately record non-dispenses,

They often don't however, and notes that land in an ATM's purge bin don't tend to register, hence why the machine needs to be checked and balanced.
    Also, as you point out many ATMs are not owned by banks, so how would interbank agreements be helpful?

They're quite useful between banks. But then, by definition, not all ATM owners are covered by them.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family