PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A new 'tougher' thread... and so it continues

Comments

• silaren
    silaren Posts: 72 Forumite
    @mardatha - it's funny you should mention that. Just the other day, I was fiddling about with my toilet cistern and wondering if it would be a good place to hide things! Agree that it's okay to moan every now and again, as long as we keep going.:D:D
    2011 December - No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries - UUs: 5 In: 5
    2011 December - Grocery Challenge - £8.70/£45
    2011 December - Make £5 a day Challenge - £7/£155
    2012 Frugal Living Challenge - £8.70/£4000
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    mardatha wrote: »
    Or else an inside pocket of your coat.

Remember it's there BEFORE it goes to the charity shop eventually!

I donated £50 Next gift vouchers once because I forgot about them :eek::eek::eek: (in the days of having a job and spare money) ran back the following day and bought the jacket back after checking they were still in the inside pocket :o
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I stick to the coat I'm wearing :D
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have to admit I cannot make soup - its rubbish - except pea and ham (rather good at that) so resorted to buying Mr A's packet soups 5 for £1 and am making them with hm stock and shreds of meat specially frozen which is better than nowt. Now I make my cusrard with dried milkas its better and I dont have to carry as many huge plastic bottles of milk.

We are definately feeling the pinch again and only have heat in the living room and my craft room which OH has comandeered for model making and jigsaws. Petrol is rationed and we do round trips picking everything up in a planned trip.

As for Christmas I am getting a bit tense but think we have done enough in advance. Passed a huge charity shop today so am planning to go back and have a mooch as our usual ones have very little of quality in them nowadays.

Oh Fuddle thank you for resurecting the thread - well done, I missed it so much. :beer:
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    edited 26 November 2011 at 9:23PM
    I had a really tough 5 years after my divorce so know all about stretching money. No new clothes, house not warm enough, declining social invitations (no spare money), hours spent in supermarkets making sure that I was getting the best deals, etc, etc.

I don't have the same impoverished lifestyle now but I'm horrified at the rise in prices - petrol, food, utilities.

I only have me to look after so I don't lmow how those of you with families are managing.

Keep posting to help everyone cope in this uncertain financial climate. There's always another tip to help save money.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• jamanda
    jamanda Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I'm also delighted to see this new thread. I hope it can keep going nicely this time.

I keep up with what is happening in the world and I'm trying very hard to keep budget in check. Not doing too well at present what with Christmas and skint kids, but I'm managing OK. Luckily both of us are working but that can change in an instant, and I find the tough threads a bit of a comfort blanket where I can sympathise, hopefully help now and again and also know for sure that there is somebody out there who understands when in RL I sometimes feel on a different planet.
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Ginnyknit - Our CS are often poor as well, but sometimes have M&S, Next stock - but I'm furious with myself for missing a lovely Monsoon ponch/cape in one shop this week. I didn't have the £9 they were asking, it was hidden at the back of a rack so thought it would still be there, but was gone the next day - sure the same one was well over £100 new, SO cross with myself! :( Not making that mistake ever again! :D

My petrol bill has gone up now that DS has passed his test and uses the car a few times a week - he's going to have to fork out more when he pays board I think. The combination of our low income and higher gas/electric prices means that we're spending around 8.5% of our income on those, too close to official fuel poverty figures for my liking!

I noticed last night in the SM that the prices of stuff I buy (own brand mostly) has risen again after a couple of weeks of static prices - just inflation or SM trying to ensure Christmas profits are better?
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    So glad to see this thread back, Times are going to get tougher for everyone and at least if you know there are folk out there that you can turn to for support, without judgement, it might save a lot of stress and worry just getting any worries off your chest - so folks any worries dont keep them to yourselves - everyone is here to share the burden - it might be us tomorrow looking for support..
    Every days a School day!
  • redlady_1
    redlady_1 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    fuddle - I feel your pain. I have a jar full of money and sometimes have had to make the decisions to put fuel in the car or buy food. As you can normally make something out of whatever is in the cupboard the fuel always wins. It was so bad that if I ever had to go home (a £70 tank of diesel) that my mum had to send me the money so I could make the trip!! It is total insanity. And they are going to put it up another 3p I think.

Lilac lady...that is what put me into this mess too. I got cleared out by the exH and so had to start from scratch again.

Mrs C - I store wood EVERYWHERE. Just remember that you dont need your garden at this time of year but you do need that wood. I have it in the garage, by the side of it, in the wood shed and in the garden.
  • Greeat to have the thread back, well done fuddle.

Tricky time of year for us, most of our money is made in the Summer and we then have to last it out until the following Spring. Getting harder each year. Petrol is a big one for us, being rural, I've noticed we rarely go further than the nearest town now - 26 mile round trip. several things inthe house could do with replacing - carpets and washing machine particularly - but reluctant to use savings until absolutely necessary, as I know they won't be replaced. However - like the challenge of make do and mend, learning what is a want not a need, appreciating hte good - so grateful for the mild Autumn so far, oil tank is still fairly full and keeping warm.

Good point about soup and/or puddings with meals - I find this stops us eating more expensive snacks. Also agree with having a little cash to hand - never know when you might need it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure