PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Hey all! Finally got to the shops, quite a big spend of £12.85 but I stocked up on 2kg chicken legs(£1.12/kg!!) and tinned tuna, also got bread, veg, activia yogs, quorn, pate, few tins soup and a reduced quiche. Apparently i'm a sucker for a reduced quiche now that I don't have to worry about what's in them, and I can say Lidl's are a million times better than mrS!! Creamy quichey fatty goodness :p I can't make a quiche half as good or for less than 90p so I'm not gonna worry about having bought something ready made.
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Pernicious wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I popped to the shops today & spent £14.21, leaving me with £18.32 for the rest of the month...suddenly I am beginning to doubt if I can do this challenge!

Wish me luck :rotfl:
    I'm sure you'll manage it! Or at least won't go over by much. I always find myself doing a big shop early in the month and not needing to spend as much later on.
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • Mothership
    Options
    Ingredients

10 oz SR Flour
    6 oz Sugar
    3 Eggs

1 tsp. cinnamon
    2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. vanilla

8 oz. fresh or tined pineapple, (cut up small).
    8 oz chopped mango
    4 oz chopped walnuts
    4 oz raisins

Method

Sieve flour, cinnamon baking soda & salt. Add eggs (beat them first), vanilla, pineapple. Add walnuts, raisins and mangos.
    Mix ingredients together. Bake at 180' for 45-50 minutes.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • minnie2
    minnie2 Posts: 513 Forumite
    Options
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    Whenever I discover I've run out of washing up liquid I've used either bubble bath or shampoo - never come to any harm yet :) Also, Stardrops can be used as washing up liquid if you have any

It's really all about finding out what works best for your Minnie to be honest. I'd say most people taking part seem to go from pay day to pay day. For some, that means from say the 15th of one month to the 15th of the next, for others 25th-25th and so on.

I do monthly pay day to pay day, but it just so happens that OHs pay day is always the last day of the month, so mine always runs from the 1st to the last day of whatever month we're in. Others find it easier to do it weekly or yearly. It's just trial and error until you find a system that works for you personally, but you'll get there :)

Thanx!! what are stardrops? i have unfortunately come off the NSD wagon and bought some washing up liquid 39p from co-op

well the two challenges im doing are monthly jan feb etc but our actually pay days are mid month and for my second job i get paid random and odd fridays.

Rosieben - post as much as you like!!

right so i took money out of the bank - big mistake!! went to cash machine wanting a tenner - but lowest it would give was £20 argh!!!

so went into co-op 39p washing up liquid (which is cheaper than tescos at 61p)

also bought a can of coke 71p feeling very guilty!!

then i bought a packet of baby wipes in tesco for 20p

so £1.30 spend

if anyone uses soda crystals co-op has them for 85p which is cheaper than 92p tescos which i usually buy also co-op has hot cross buns 50p for 6 - may do in packed lunches (i cant eat tehm personally)
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mothership, I've added your Mango cake recipe to the index, thank you ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • elly2
    elly2 Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all another 2 on milk yesterday (4 litres) good to see that the milk is still only £1 a carton at the corner shop :D some shops have increased theirs by 10 p :eek:. So total so far is £29 will need some cat food today and some more garlic bread and other odds and ends so will update when i get back.
    Also spent £13 on our weekly takeaway which will from now become our fortnightly takeaway saving me £££££, i also have the takeaway secret in my amazon basket which may well stop me buying takeaway ever again i hope :rotfl::rotfl:.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,761 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    buddiebabe wrote: »
    OH bought a take away for dinner tonight.... can't believe the money and food wasted on it..... felt so guilty eating it didn't even really enjoy it... all i could think about was how much food i could have bought with the money :o

As I have virtually no social life other than the occasional takeaway eaten with friends, I look at it from another angle. Think of the money you have saved by eating it at home and not in a restaurant. You can also have a glass of wine with it and nobody has to be a designated driver or pay for a taxi home.
  • Pernicious
    Pernicious Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    Options
    adelight wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll manage it! Or at least won't go over by much. I always find myself doing a big shop early in the month and not needing to spend as much later on.

Thank you! I hope you're right, when I initially did the sums using mysupermarket it looked doable, but it sounds like such a low number for the two of us for the rest of the month! I guess I'm just used to refilling the freezer/cupboards rather than actually using them all up first which is what we'll be doing this month.
    :idea:Debt at July 2012: £12,862.57 :eek:
    :dance:Current Debt: £0 :j
    100% paid off!
    :think: Savings Goal for November 2016: £5000 :cool:
    :D Current Savings: £1176.24 _party_
    23.52% Saved!
  • Catslovelycats
    Options
    I've just ordered a shop from Tessie's - partly due to the fact I'm suffering from a chest infection so not up to going myself. Have bought more than I would if I'd walked there, but made sure I bought long-life stuff that can stay in a cupboard and not go off within a few days, so hoping to save money later in the month.
  • Tracey2609
    Options
    I've just got back from Mr T's - didn't do as well as last week - spent £71.60 (I've updated my signature already). I did manage to get a lot though, I even brought a loaf of bread for the freezer this week (which I've never done before). This month I just want to come in under my budget.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be a Unicorn - then always be a Unicorn !
    No More Buying Unnecessary Toiletries - Joined May 2013

28x UU
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family