'Should we withdraw from Europe?' poll discussion

Comments

• mike_paterson
    mike_paterson Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    B - We're stronger together as a united europe rather than apart.

Really - in what way?

I guess by "We" you mean people in Europe rather than people in Britain?

I disagree that "we" are "united" in any sense of the word(s).
    To infinity and beyond!
  • DJFearRoss
    DJFearRoss Posts: 93 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I know a lawyer from Hungary who works for the EU. Although he is pro-Europe, he totally acknowledges that there is a lot of corruption in the EU. He told me that Greece shouldn't even be part of the EU as they just made up all their figures to enter to be accepted. He also told me that Romania and Bulgaria shouldn't have been allowed to enter due to the crime rates in those countries.

I for one am baffled how many countries can become part of the EU, I thought they had to meet certain conditions such as unemployment rates, crime, human rights etc. I mean in Romania, there are children still living in the sewers.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Always thought the idea of letting in small poor countries was cheap labour. Keeps our trade unions in line.
    I know a landlord who is on a list for the supply of inexpensive tradesmen, and is complaining that so many have gone back to their own country, so is having to wait.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2009 at 5:20PM
    DJFearRoss wrote: »
    I for one am baffled how many countries can become part of the EU, I thought they had to meet certain conditions such as unemployment rates, crime, human rights etc. I mean in Romania, there are children still living in the sewers.

They need to be dragged into the EU whether or not they actually 'qualify'. The ultimate aim is a World Government, with one bank, one currency and one army - and we'll all be microchipped too. First steps are to have a European Union, an African Union (evolved from OAU), an American Union (evolved from NAFTA) and a Pacific Union (evolved from APEC). I am betting that once the Euro and US Dollar are at the same level they will merge the two into one currency "might as well - it will be easier" I'm sure will be the reasoning.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Justamum wrote: »
    They need to be dragged into the EU whether or not they actually 'qualify'. The ultimate aim is a World Government, with one bank, one currency and one army - and we'll all be microchipped too. First steps are to have a European Union, an African Union (evolved from OAU), an American Union (evolved from NAFTA) and a Pacific Union (evolved from APEC). I am betting that once the Euro and US Dollar are at the same level they will merge the two into one currency "might as well - it will be easier" I'm sure will be the reasoning.

Agree Mum....but we gotta sort out the war-mongering arms dealers who want us SEPERATE.
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Surprised at the pull out vote, considering how many British jobs would go if we became marginalised in Europe, the behaviour of Lemmings spings to mind :eek:
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Agree Mum....but we gotta sort out the war-mongering arms dealers who want us SEPERATE.

The war-mongering arms dealers will still be selling weapons if we have a world government - gotta arm the army to keep the drones in their place.
  • We can still trade with the EU but still retain our laws and borders
    Switzerland and others do well on it.
  • YANA
    YANA Posts: 41 Forumite
    The EU is a growing monster that fuels itself from fear and feeds from the uninformed.
    We need to do what is right for us and not what fills the pockets of the Brussels "aren't we important" Club.
    EU regulations are strangling and losing us money hand over fist.
    The EU hierarchy want a United States of Europe, they make no bones about it.
    It will finish us and we must get out. Or at the very least, return it to what we democratically voted for - A Common Market.
    Do not be put off by the fearful, uninformed and those with an agenda - as the second wealthiest nation in the EU and the fourth in the world, we can do it.
  • bo_drinker
    bo_drinker Posts: 3,924 Forumite
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Always thought the idea of letting in small poor countries was cheap labour. Keeps our trade unions in line.
    I know a landlord who is on a list for the supply of inexpensive tradesmen, and is complaining that so many have gone back to their own country, so is having to wait.
    They have had what they came for sent most of the earnings home thus not contributing to our economy, it's been take take take and now the icing has gone off the cake:confused:
    I came in to this world with nothing and I've still got most of it left. :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure