PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board)

Comments

• tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    That sounds like a great idea, but so as not to leave people out we should really have an MSE recipe book as there are lots of great contributions and fantastic recipes suggested on this website. Obviously there should be a special place for twinks hobnobs but then aussie lass would want a special place for her anzacs-which really are delicious!!!
    So I'd settle for an MSE cook book, but make sure twinks hobnobs and aussielass's anzacs are in there, along with the impossible pie, impossible quiche etc etc.
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    a cookbook would be great, full of moneysaving recipes, bound to be popular
  • Lesley_Gaye
    Lesley_Gaye Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    twink wrote: »
    a cookbook would be great, full of moneysaving recipes, bound to be popular

if we really did do one of these, I was involved in a Millennium cookbook for the village I lived in at the time. We invited all the locals to contribute their favourite family recipes, a local artist painted a watercolour for the front page and we published 500 copies with a plastic see through cover, front and back in thickish card, lovely full colour watercolour on the front, each section divided with a different colour card and a pen and ink drawing, and bound in those comb binders that you can get. The printer did all the binding etc. It worked really well.

I set all the pages using my desk top publisher. If we do a book, I could contibute in that kind of way if it helped.
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don't know where to post this but i was just bursting to tell you all.. i made the most delicious chicken and spinach pie...

I baked blind some pastry in a pie dish. While this was cooking i heating some left over cooked chicken in a frying pan (i used water not oil) for approx 10 mins then added some chopped up spinach that someone gave me at the allotment today for a further 5 mins. I got rid of the excess water and mixed in some white sauce and then put the chicken, spinach & white sauce in the pie and covered with pastry and cooked gas mark 5 until pastry cooked.

I served it with potatoes, cabbage and peas (all from my allotment) and some 'value' carrots and gravy....it was yummy, even my fussy DD2 ate it.

Anyway, this is probably not new to most of you but i thought i'd share it as it was such a simple but tasty meal.

:T :T :T
  • That looks lovely - we have loads of spinach in the garden :T I'll add it to the recipe thread once I find where squeaky has hidden it :o
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • I have been looking through these threads for an hour now and I am not getting anywhere. Does anyone have a really nice veggie curry or chilli suitable for grownups? I'm looking for something special rather than my usual 'throw it all in and add some paste' method, and would rather not go down the tofu or quorn route. Help please???
    :A Sealed Pot Challenge - number 263 :A
  • BP56134 wrote: »
    I have been looking through these threads for an hour now and I am not getting anywhere. Does anyone have a really nice veggie curry or chilli suitable for grownups? I'm looking for something special rather than my usual 'throw it all in and add some paste' method, and would rather not go down the tofu or quorn route. Help please???

how about this one. Butter Bean and Vegetable Curry from Rose Elliot's Better Than Beans (I think that's what it's called)

175g butter beans
    3 tblsp oil
    1 chopped onion
    1 crushed clove garlic
    1 tsp groumd cumin
    1 tsp turmeric
    a little chilli, depending on how hot you like it
    2 tomatoes
    450g potatoes, chopped - I don't peel them, but feel free
    1 1/2 tsps sea salt
    2 bayleaves
    125g peas or frozen green soya beans

Cook the butter bans until soft, you can soak them first if you like, but I don't generally bother. Or use canned ones. Drain and save the water.

heat oil, add onion and garlic until soft, stir in spices and sizzle for a bit. Add the tomatoes and potatoes and mix well. Stir in 275ml of reserved bean cooking liquor, salt and bay leaves. Put the lid on and simmer until te potatoes are nearly soft, add peas or soya beans and simmer a further few minutes

You can use any beans in place of the butter beans, mung beans worked well
  • how about this one. Butter Bean and Vegetable Curry from Rose Elliot's Better Than Beans (I think that's what it's called)

175g butter beans
    3 tblsp oil
    1 chopped onion
    1 crushed clove garlic
    1 tsp groumd cumin
    1 tsp turmeric
    a little chilli, depending on how hot you like it
    2 tomatoes
    450g potatoes, chopped - I don't peel them, but feel free
    1 1/2 tsps sea salt
    2 bayleaves
    125g peas or frozen green soya beans

Cook the butter bans until soft, you can soak them first if you like, but I don't generally bother. Or use canned ones. Drain and save the water.

heat oil, add onion and garlic until soft, stir in spices and sizzle for a bit. Add the tomatoes and potatoes and mix well. Stir in 275ml of reserved bean cooking liquor, salt and bay leaves. Put the lid on and simmer until te potatoes are nearly soft, add peas or soya beans and simmer a further few minutes

You can use any beans in place of the butter beans, mung beans worked well

re-reading the recipe, I noticed some notes I had made.

I reduced the amount of potato to 150g, used the 150g frozen soya beans instead of peas and added some extra spices - 1tsp paprika and 1 tsp garam masala

It was really yummy
  • You will need the following items:

Sushi Rice
    Sushi Nori ( Edible Roasted Seaweed Sheets)
    Bamboo rolling mat
    Rice Wine vinegar
    Mirin
    Castor Sugar
    Salt

To make the sushi rice dressing:
    2 tbspn rice wine vinegar
    1 tbspn mirin
    1 tsp castor sugar
    1 tspn salt

Fillings I used were:
    Cucumber strips, deseeded
    peppadew sweet peppers
    Sainsburys basics smoked salmon trimmings
    Cooked jumbo prawns

Stir well togther in a non metal bowl and set aside

Cook rice as per instructions either in a rice cooker or in a heavy pan
    Transfer rice into a non metallic bowl
    Fold in sushi dressing and continue to fold until rice is just warm
    Place sushi nori on bamboo rolling mat
    Spread dressed rice over the nori covering about 2/3 of the sheet
    Add your fillings a little off centre
    Roll up the bamboo mat slowly, pressing lightly as you go
    When you get to the end of the sheet, moisten edge with a little water and press down on roll to seal the edge
    Remove roll from mat and using a damp knife cut the roll into 6 pieces.
    I found it easier to slice the roll after it had been in the fridge for a while.

Serve with pickled ginger and soy sauce
  • 3 white fish fillets (Iceland frozen variety)
    1/2 pint milk
    knob butter
    3 bay leaves
    2 tablespoons plain flour
    handful jumbo prawns
    leftover mashed potato (I had colcannon in the freezer so used that as a topping)
    ground black pepper
    1 tspn mustard

I have made these in individual ramekins but you can make a full size pie if you prefer

Place 1/2 pint milk in saucepan and add fish and bay leaves
    Bring to a simmer and cook until fish is done
    Strain milk away from fish and set aside to make white sauce
    divide fish and prawns into ramekins

to make white sauce (See videojug here if you are really stuck on making this sauce)
    melt butter in a pan
    add flour and stir well until it all is bound together (it will look like crumbs)
    slowly add milk stirring all the time (I use a whisk as it's easier to make a smooth sauce)
    when milk is all added keep stirring until you have a lovely smooth sauce, you might need to add a bit more milk if your sauce is really thick, keep it quite thick to help keep your pie together, custard consistency is about right )
    whisk in mustard
    season with black pepper ( I don't add salt as I use salted butter)

divide sauce between ramekins and top with mashed potato
    press potato to the sides of the ramekin to seal the sauce into the pie to prevent leaks

place in oven at 180oc until piping hot and top is crispy and brown

serve with seasonal vegetables on the side
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family