PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House for sale 8 weeks and no viewings

Options

Comments

• sx_turbo
    sx_turbo Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    They've had no viewers! How can anyone give feedback? Even then, do a poll on here as you'll find many people refuse to give feedback after a viewing. I do give it, but usually only if they ring me (some don't).

Most people will find the property on the internet. I doubt there are many people registered on their books for exactly this house as there are compromises.

They have sat with potential buyers and handed over details, and they have discussed the property with potential buyers.

So the people they have shown the details to should have offered reasons as to why they are not interested. And imo the estate agents should be listening to this and feeding it back so we can adjust accordingly.
  • sx_turbo
    sx_turbo Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the first line of your ad suggests you hope the offers to be above, not below £240k:

You need to amend the ad as well as the headline price - if you are willing to accept sub-240, suggest you simply put the asking price as £240 and perhaps the offers will come - there are those here who dislike guide price, offers in region of, offers in excess of etc...

Will speak to agent now.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's only £50, and purely psychological, but you could always try marketing it at £239,950...
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A house in Daniel Way sold in 2017 for £240k. You will not get as much for your house as one in Daniel Way simply because your house is on a main road and Daniel Way is not a main road.

I also happen to know that houses with offstreet parking to the front are always more expensive than ones with off street parking at the back. People prefer to drive up to the front of the house to unload their shopping. They don't want to unload it at the back and then go through a back gate and down a garden to get to the house.

So a house with off street parking at the front and in a non through road will be worth a lot more than one on a main road with parking at the back.

You bought your house cheap not only because it needed work but also because there was something putting people off it even then. In many areas there is little difference in price between a house needing work and one that has had the work done. People don't want to pay for work someone else has done they want to remodel a house to suit themselves.

If the houses next to you are selling for around £200k yours will sell for around that mark as well.

If your house was only overpriced by about £10k you would have got viewings. The fact that no one has viewed means that it is very very overpriced. Usually if something is just a bit overpriced you get viewings and no offers. The fact that you have not had any viewings means that there is something extremely wrong with the price. No one is going to offer you £210k on a house you have put on the market at £240k because they know that you will refuse it so they don't bother to view.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    It's only £50, and purely psychological, but you could always try marketing it at £239,950...

Can’t stand it when sellers do this, it just reeks of desperation. Buyers aren’t stupid.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • liuhutOz
    liuhutOz Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    I had a look at the street view and the house next door to yours look awful. Does it still look as bad? That would put me off. A friend lived next door to a neglected house and she paid to have it painted when she wanted to sell hers!
    The inside looks lovely.
    Formally liuhut
    WIN £2008 in 2008 £1836.31 2009 wins - £91!!! 2010 6170.... wins 2011 aprox 2000
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 June 2018 at 12:24PM
    Options
    sx_turbo wrote: »
    They have sat with potential buyers and handed over details, and they have discussed the property with potential buyers.

So the people they have shown the details to should have offered reasons as to why they are not interested. And imo the estate agents should be listening to this and feeding it back so we can adjust accordingly.

Really? I'd find that amusing. I have never in my life had to give feedback on why I'd not want to view a house. Many of us are telling you anyway, the comments will be 'it's on a main road' and 'don't like the style' and 'too small upstairs' and 'bottom heavy' and 'want a family kitchen-diner, not a narrow one' and 'don't like bathroom off dining room' and 'don't want a non-turfed small garden'.

It sounds like what you're wanting to hear is 'don't like the colour of the carpets' or 'don't like the layout in the lounge' or even 'don't like a corner bath' which maybe you'd consider changing. I guarantee nobody will be buying if you change anything. I am critical usually (sorry to others!) but there's nothing about the decor or inside that can be changed that will make people want to view.

It's a combination of enough things with your house - not 'wrong' with it, but just that they're universally considered 'compromises'. The only thing that makes up for compromises is price. Or lack of other properties on the market. Check out your competition and be honest about which buyers might pick over yours (run a RM search now up to 4 beds in the area. Is yours realistically the only one you would choose to see, or would you even want to view it if there were nicer ones for similar prices?).

Not trying to be negative or put your house down, it's perfectly fine and I'm not here criticising it, I'm just saying you have some compromises.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • SuperMoose
    SuperMoose Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you already changed agent?

On the house price history are photos/floor plan by haart from May.
    Please put out food and water for the birds and hedgehogs :)
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    PS get them to take 'DOWNSTAIRS BATHROOM' off the bullet points. I immediately noticed that and nearly missed the upstairs shower room on the same bullet points. It's not a plus, it's a big negative for a lot of people, even with the upstairs shower room. If I was looking for houses, I'd see that and discard it straight away before reading the description properly or looking at the floorplan.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 June 2018 at 12:46PM
    Options
    Candyapple wrote: »
    Can!!!8217;t stand it when sellers do this, it just reeks of desperation. Buyers aren!!!8217;t stupid.

The frequency with which retailers (of all products, not just houses) do this suggests otherwise....

You don't think that with all of the thought the likes of Tesco etc put into supermarket design, shelf layout, product placement etc, that all those prices ending £xx.99 rather than £yy.00 is a random accident do you?!?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure