PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Comments

• grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I live near a Tesco and shop there about 7 ish when they reduce stuff. I buy the veggie bags carrots with broccoli and cauliflower and add 2 to a pan of water a stock cube and that makes a great pan of soup for the freezer. A pan of homemade soup for 20p.
    I have to say tho I have a huge garden I don't pick my own flowers as I love to see them grow but when the bouquets in mr ts are reduced to 10p I can't resist.
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi again guys
    Well my walk was productive (but I need a sit down now)
    I went in Mr Ts to see if they had value dishwasher tabs. They didn’t but there was loads of lovely YS stuff. Two packs of stewing lamb, one pack of stewing beef and one pack of the posh meatballs. All half price. That’s as good as it ever gets because of demand. But half price is half price. And my freezer is getting nicely topped up.
    The dishwasher tabs came from P land and also I noticed a vacancy in a shop so my cv needs tidying, printing and then taking in tomorrow.
    A good day so far
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Thank god we have our own lamb to fall back on.. I'm living up here with millions of the bloody things, I just wish they werw a bit cheaper!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    mardatha wrote: »
    Fabulous thread thank you!
    Grunnie I havent a clue why you think independence would make anything already worse than it is. Scotland would get new trading partners and new deals in place - any country that has whisky and oil is never going to be stuck!
    Whoever it was who asked about longlife milk (CJ?) I use them up in milk puddings and baking.
    We already eat 1950s UK style - mainly because the wartime cookbooks recommended to me by people on the OS threads really work for me and taste like real food :D Those new books have recipes with 900 ingreds (and every single one has to be either wild or distressed or torn) drive me insane :rotfl: I know where I am with lamb hotpot or cottage pie.
    So what I'm going to try to do, health allowing, is to extend the veg garden by a good bit. I'm too high up to grow any fruit but berries, so I can plant some rasps and blackberries. Crumbles and pies from those. Already grow tatties and onions and leeks. Soups and fillers for stews from those 3 things.
    We're facing a huge drop in income and increasing frail health here so this thread couldn't have come at a better time :T:j:T

Which wartime cook books do you have?

I was gutted enough when Trump upped tariffs to Europe as it means bourbon will go up in price :rotfl:
    I have started to make my own wine, previously made elderflower champagne, currently experimenting with an apple and mango wine. Smells a bit vinegary at the mo but hopefully it will turn out ok!
  • cuddlymarm
    Forumite
    Good morning fellow frugallers
    It is absolutely lovely here again today. It makes me feel so energetic that I’ve even tidied up.
    My online shop arrived today and my stocking up is going nicely. The freezer is full (lots of veg, meat and one loaf of bread so save trips to the shop.
    The slow cooker has a chicken in and I am going to streeeeeeetch this as far as possible. Chicken salad for tea, chicken wraps for lunch tomorrow and I may freeze some to use in a curry at a later date.
    Sad I know but I’ve started next weeks list. I am aiming for being extra stretchy with the food I have in so my food shop will be same amount spent but a third will be towards stocking up ( I hope that makes sense)
    It is helping that we are doing SW so no cakes, biscuits, booze or ice cream are coming into the house. No point paying out to diet if you don’t give it 100%
    Anyway time to get on
    Have a good day guys
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • RebeccaAnn
    RebeccaAnn Posts: 81
    Forumite
    Small word of caution over pulses, rice, oats, flour etc. don't buy in too much as a) pulses are only good to cook and use for around 18 months, if they get too old they never soften no matter how long you cook them for, b) Flour (particularly wholemeal or stoneground whole wheat) can go rancid if it gets too old and c) All of the above can and do get infestations of thrips, pantry beetle, moth, mites and weevils which can run through your carefully stored stocks like wild fire. Even the most costly and well grown things could harbour insect eggs of one kind or another that will hatch in the warmth of a modern house. A preventive measure is to put any of the above into a sealed freezer bag and actually put them into your freezer for 48 hours which should kill anything lurking but be aware that if you have had a previous problem in the past you could still get a reinfestation even if the freezing trick has happened.
    Thank you for this. I haven't ever stored food before. We use a lot of the items I have bought so I doubt we have over a years worth. Good to know though :).
    SPC #062
    12k in2019 #23 £8167/£16k
    Make £2019 in 2019 #32 £513/£2019
  • I've had it happen a couple of times RebeccaAnn and it's really horrible, I was shuddering for months. I don't know how the little pests manage it but they get inside unopened packs and you can see the little blighters through the packaging YUKKKKK! I freeze things as they come home now and don't have more than the next pack in store any longer, it's a saving of money if I can use what I've paid for rather than have to throw it away!
  • cuddlymarm
    Forumite
    Good morning guys
    Boy is it warm this morning. I’ve been up since half past 5 cos it is too warm to sleep.
    On the up side the heat helps with the diet cos I’m not feeling hungry.
    Alls going well here, the foods lasting well, mainly cos we are living on salad and last nights fish, mushy peas and baby potatoes turned into just fish and peas so the potatoes will do for another meal.
    OH has discovered wraps rather than bread so my rubber chicken will probably do at least two more meals. Sweet and sour chicken for tea and probably lunch tomorrow.
    Part of me was tempted yesterday when I was doing my CS shift. There’s always loads of lovely stuff but all I really need are jeans and jumpers and I’m hoping by winter to be a bit slimmer so I’m fighting the urge to buy.
    I’m in again today and then doing an extra tomorrow ( the CSs are really struggling for volunteers) so that will keep me out of mischief.
    I don’t know whether it’s the right thing to do but I keep flour in the fridge to keep the weevils at bay. It doesn’t make a lot of difference to my baking cos my cakes are always quite heavy ( but they still never last long)
    I hope everyone is keeping well hydrated and using sunscreen.
    Keep well guys
    TTFN
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • Well, I've been thinking.....always worrying I hear you think BUT I'm getting so very cross with the unelected big bods in the EU spouting on at us in the UK for having the utter nerve to have decided to leave and making things just about as difficult to achieve that as they can in the forlorn hope that if they're obstructive enough we'll meekly say it was all a huge and ghastly mistake and please can we stay after all that I'm making a list of all the lovely places I still would like to holiday at in the good old UK. I won't be holidaying on EU territory, I suspect we'll be very badly regarded if and when we do manage to get shot of them and they'll make life as difficult as possible if we DO go which is sad because there are a couple of places that I really do care for. What they'll miss is our money even if they don't miss our race and I'd much rather spend our money here in the UK to benefit our country and see some gorgeous places in the doing thereof. Sometimes my blood boils when I hear the EU hierarchy pontificating!
  • Katieowl
    Katieowl Posts: 185
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The only store that still seems to do the basics stuff is Asda. I get a home delivery every now and then to stock up. Dishwasher tabs, washing up liquid, washing powder and disinfectant and stuff.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback