PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Please let me hold your hand...roll on 2018!

Comments

• janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,616
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I echo most of the comments on here but would add that maybe you have a good friend who sells on Ebay who would take a few items for you?

I sell periodically for friends but do not charge them and they buy me a cup of coffee or something nice as I am a private seller seller and this works for me.

Also useful to borrow a good friend who will help with the sifting and stop you transferring a lot to your new home.

Alternatively consider having a garage sale/fashion night and maybe donate a small amount to charity out of the proceeds?

Good luck with your new venture- sounds soo exciting!
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,073
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I second the not paying to move stuff you don't need. I had a major clearour before my last move (4 years ago) having previously moved a lot of stuff that then got dumped. Even last time there was still some - but given that it's still a building site a lot of old stuff is in use for a reason!

Do your tax return - mine took a lot less time than I spent procrastinating and I got a nice lump of cash straight back into my bank account.

Re. selling stuff. Do you have time. There are a couple of options to consider. 1. If you are a higher rate tax payer you get the higher rate tax back on anything you gift aid, so donating might be the best option as you'll still get a return 2. If you're not paying higher rate tax and think the stuff you have to sell has value, find an eBay agent/dress agency or equivalent who will sell it for you.

Books - keep the ones you know you will read again, and get rid of the rest. Think about how you use your books. My dad used a lot of his for reference (I use google mostly), whereas I use mine for reading in the bath (including library books).

Food - invite friends over, particularly local ones who you may not see so much when you move. I did this and managed to have pretty much bare cupboards and empty freezers by the date of the move.

Cleaning - I'm with you on leaving the place spotless (although I didn't paint anything, just left the pots of the correct colours behind), but bear in mind your vendors may not do so. This place was filthy. I ended up getting the movers to take my stuff a week before completion and paid them to store is for 2 weeks. I stayed with a friend taking minimal stuff, and cleaned the old house before completion and the new one after.

Remember you still have to live in your house and that house sales are never predictable. So have a really good clear out and tidy, but don't pack too soon as you'll be living among boxes. Have a clearout (bin/CS) of the stuff that's out now (night before bin day each week, Friday evening before a CS trip every Saturday for example). Everything from your knicker drawer to the shed should be reviewed and cleaned/tidied. Then you can start bringing stuff down from the attic a box at a time and deciding what to do with it (keep, in which case put it away in some of the cleared space so it will pack with similar things; CS; bin; or sell - in which case you have to have worked out how you will sell it).

Moving is stressful enough, so you need to be pragmatic about how you do this.

And definitely sign up for the full time on the RM redirection. My vendors didn't and I still get post for them, much of which in the first couple of years was related to pensions, finances etc.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Regarding selling: I would broadly agree that it is more bother than it's worth unless your finances are very stretched or you have some potentially valuable stuff.

If you need to give it a go, start early (now) set a deadline, and if it hasn't gone, then off to the charity shop. Personally I found freecycle / freegle useful as they will collect the stuff. You can also get rid of a lot of stuff that charity shops won't / can't take (this may apply less to you than it did to me).
    I don't know if you have used Freecycle, but be very clear with replying eg: 'if I do not hear from you by 5pm Tuesday, the item will be re-offered'.
    Another option, which you might need to do soon, is a 'house / garage sale'. Depends on where you live etc.and you need to publicise.

If you are likely to use your local tip, check the rules about opening times and number of visits. I got a special dispensation on number of visits as I was recycling and promised not to put any rubbish in! So for an entire house build + the clearances, we used only one skip.

I think this thread has been interesting
  • I am just back from my local tip, it is a fab clean and large area and oh so helpful staff plus areas where I can put re-useable things.

I will be leaving my house spotless but will not be painting and as a potentail buyer I would not be wanting to see any property tarted up to sell. I would say to get pictures and wall hangings off the walls as soon as feasible, remove screws and fill holes and make good, maybe there is a local odd job man who would do it

I do think the post about a professional cleaner is a good one and one I personally will bear in mind for my move and yes a project plan is a very good idea
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    I have done both - I had a professional cleaner for the last move as we were in the middle of the build and I felt my time was better used at the site. They actually cleaned 'overnight' - didn't charge any more as they had quoted a fixed price, but because of their deadlines, asked if possible. Neighbours agreed.

I would get some quotes on which to base your decision. You could also, if the timing works, ask a neighbour or friend who would appreciate some cash, but ensure your 'public liability' insurance is in place. You may need to insure 2 properties for a short time - worth it as those times are 'trigger times' for thieves, sadly.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Wolfy's mantra for deciding whether to keep or get rid....

If in doubt,
    Turf it out!
    :rotfl:
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,703
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you can get to an Ikea buy some of their packs of large white napkins or get some large kitchen rolls. Wrap kitchen pots etc. in these then you won't have to wash them on arrival. You can save the wrapping to use for wiping later.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Yesterday was well-spent sorting out some paperwork but I seem to have taken a retrograde step today. I'm not too sure why I went into Wilkinsons, but here's what happened when I did:
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I got some great bargains today in the clearance aisle:

- packets of sunflower seeds probably annuals for between 10-25p (the 75-80% discount only became apparent at the till).
    - other seeds for 35p, labelled suitable for KS2. I bought pumpkin and nasturnium
    - a 10m hose and reel, reduced to £4
    - a 2-way hose tap for 75p
    - a single hose tap for 25p
    - a twin pack of ant bait traps for 60p
    - 20m rolls of steel wire (intended for the garden, but I'll use it for crafting) for 40p each.

My little niece has really enjoyed growing and tending to the sunflowers and tomatoes this year. Next year I predict a sea of sunflowers, nasturnium and pumpkins for Halloween. She'll sow them with me after her 3rd birthday in March, and then it will be her responsibility to keep them watered with her own hose :)

Its the excitement of having a huge south facing garden on the horizon:T

I also found this online: 12 tips to de-clutter your home. Interesting, but I find the Kondo method works best for me. Once I get going, its addictive.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,648
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 18 September 2017 at 10:29AM
    Have you got a crafting area, a container for seeds and/or a shed where you are now, so that lot can be herded into the right place?

Oh, that's a thought. The right place! How much furniture are you moving and what's the storage situation at the new house? It occurred to me that you may have built in storage at one property and not at the other (like the incredibly handy cupboard at the top of the stairs in this flat...)
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I also found this online: 12 tips to de-clutter your home. Interesting, but I find the Kondo method works best for me. Once I get going, its addictive.
    That's the trick - finding what works for you and running with it.
    The Kondo method wouldn't work for me at all, because I'd never in a billion years get Mr LW on board with it; and if you're sharing space with someone, you need to agree on what goes and what stays, and how you're going to go about decluttering (unless the "someone" is your kids, in which case parents have the final say). ;)

For instance, I'd get rid of the tv and the umpteen radios in a heartbeat, but he'd never part with any of them. :cool:
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure