Early-retirement wannabe

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    nah - never been a fan of the 'rat on a rope' type. Its a big dog or no dog for me. My 2 are not especially big for their breed but clock in at 35kg / 6 stone each.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I call them purse dogs. The kind people put in their hand bags.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    nah - never been a fan of the 'rat on a rope' type. Its a big dog or no dog for me. My 2 are not especially big for their breed but clock in at 35kg / 6 stone each.

I was thinking you could use them to feed your big dogs.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • MallyGirl
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    I was thinking you could use them to feed your big dogs.

My boy eats 2lb of meat a day - a chihuahua wouldn't last him long!!!

Big dogs are not very MSE.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm with MallyGirl, decent sized dogs, my 79 year old mother (fit and active) spoke today of getting another dog when she loses one of her two dogs, hopefully not for a while yet. I told her as it would be possibly (very likely) be coming to me at hopefully a distant point in the future she should get a decent sized dog like her Retriever or the like as I don't want a toy/ handbag dog to walk over the fields with my Labrador and Border Collie!

And as (to get back to the thread) I fully intend to retire in the next few years before I'm 60, I'll have time to take it out if her current 2x 4 mile walks day become to much for her as she enters her 80s!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Once the teen has departed for uni I might switch to something where they get the boot and backseats with a suitable cage constructed.

I have a van. Humans have to manage with one spare seat and some dog beds in the back!
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Buy chihuahuas.

Heathen.:p

Some small dogs can walk for miles. I've had papillons that would go out for around 8 miles. They are a lot thought than they look.
  • MallyGirl
    bugslet wrote: »
    I have a van. Humans have to manage with one spare seat and some dog beds in the back!

Heathen.:p

Some small dogs can walk for miles. I've had papillons that would go out for around 8 miles. They are a lot thought than they look.

I have a van too - as I said, not very MSE. It is fitted out with custom crates for the dogs plus space for the dry land mushing rig and kit. Once the dogs are too old we plan to convert it into a camper.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    plus space for the dry land mushing rig and kit.

I'm trying to guess what that means. I know! They are huskies and they pull your sled over the snow in winter. Mush! Mush!

Are you Canadian?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • MallyGirl
    edited 14 July 2018 at 10:13AM
    No - very English so my 'sled' has to have wheels since there is no snow

6cdbe726-12c4-4d57-8e23-ced53e4bdb47.jpg

The dogs are Alaskan Malamutes
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    That is the coolest thing I have ever read on MSE forum. I have seen giant schnauzers pulling sleds in Finland.......the prospect of trying it with Lola is not enticing:p
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback