Laptop life? What to get for A-levels and Uni?

Comments

• that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Macman, what happens when you want to print like this guy below? Looks like his only option was to share the document?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5862044

If you are an only facebook/surfer/email type, then I can see the advantage, especially in weight, battery life, cost. Though a five year update support is a bit limiting, and I would not recommend a cheap under powered laptop either, there is no axe to grind here. In London free speedy wifi does not abound everywhere, or perhaps it is the areas I frequent.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    macman wrote: »
    No, not really. No need to worry about installing and updating AV programs. No endless waiting for Windows Updates and patches to install. Near instant boot-up (Chromebooks have SSD's).
    Compatability with Word/Excel is fine for the vast majority of users. Storage is limited compared to a conventional hard-drive equipped laptop, but cloud storage takes care of that.
    When I bought mine 3 years ago, I thought that the limitation would be when no wi-fi was available, but in practice this is hardly ever a problem these days, with so much free wifi available.
    For a student who needs email, web surfing, Office type tasks and not much more, it's completely adequate: and about 25% of the cost of a MacBook.

Nope. Some have eMMC. In other words, a SD card.
    I would not recommend a Chromebook, as you will find incompatibility and will then need to find workarounds. Not ideal when you want something to' just work', whilst you are working.

You can buy Windows laptops with SSD too. :) Why have to deal with cloud storage alone? It's not always convenient and one might not wish to upload sensitive documents to the Cloud. Plus you are then dependent on stable WiFi. Office type tasks? What if the class is working with Microsoft Office?

I've not had to wait for a Windows Update to install. Perhaps it could be an annoyance in the past with poor CPU and older spinning hard disks. But it's not something I've noted, even with this ATOM processor, as the Netbook is fitted with an SSD. The Microsoft Security Essentials program also doesn't intrude. Again, no worry about installing and updating anything.

You are just overstating your case. It's not as if Chromebooks don't update themselves too.

Better to purchase a tool that can cover all, than to purchase something that cannot, for a similar price. No sense in that at all.
  • FifiAnne
    FifiAnne Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    There are 68 on that Dell refurbished link now! Feeling overwhelmed!
  • benson1980
    benson1980 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Pros and cons to chromebooks, especially for uni use.

The Microsoft office app suite allows for offline use so that wouldn't be a major issue. I know for Uni for the kinds of things I was using a laptop for back then, I would want more storage than a chromebook allowed, so I'd want an additional external storage option other than the cloud. Windows 10 with the full office suite I guess would be better, but probably not by much. Printing is a bit weird on chromebooks but once you get the hang of it, it's fine. I just use google cloud print which allows printing of any saved document I have on my hard drive. But fair to say its not a case of just plugging in a printer and windows automatically detecting and installing a driver for it.

One thing I think is worth bearing in mind is that I found Windows laptops so high maintenance. Something was always slowing down and I would have to google solutions, a windows update would cause some compatibility issue (I had the plugged in/battery not charging issue after one such update which did my head in) or there was some malware or virus that I would occasionally have to sort out. I remember at uni losing my entire dissertation because my windows desktop got a virus that I couldn't sort. Fair enough I didn't just browse the bbc website all day but I didnt do anything that dodgy. Bad timing and I should have backed it up but vastly reduced risk of this sort of thing on macs and chromebooks. I know windows advocates will get all defensive about this, but you do need to be much more IT savvy I found to keep a windows laptop running well, and I was constantly trying something new or downloading cccleaners and trying to tweak/delete programs running at start up to avoid it running at snails pace.

If it were me though for uni I'd get a decent refurb windows 10 laptop, due to the ms office suite being a bit better than using the app versions and the internal storage. I just thought the above was worth bearing in mind.
  • EveryWhere
    FifiAnne wrote: »
    There are 68 on that Dell refurbished link now! Feeling overwhelmed!

I only linked to one. Seems you like to confuse yourself. :)
  • FifiAnne
    First Anniversary
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    I only linked to one. Seems you like to confuse yourself. :)

Yes, maybe I shouldn't have looked at the Dell site! SSD question (again, really sorry if it's a thickie question! )- the one you linked to is only 120gb which seems very small, most of the HDD's seem to be nearer 1tb. Is there something about SSD which means it uses the space better? The Dell site has the same model with a 256gb SSD £95 more - is it worth paying the extra, would we notice any difference?
  • EveryWhere
    FifiAnne wrote: »
    Yes, maybe I shouldn't have looked at the Dell site! SSD question (again, really sorry if it's a thickie question! )- the one you linked to is only 120gb which seems very small, most of the HDD's seem to be nearer 1tb. Is there something about SSD which means it uses the space better? The Dell site has the same model with a 256gb SSD £95 more - is it worth paying the extra, would we notice any difference?

SSD are faster and more robust. No need to be concerned about giving the laptop a knock whilst in use. you wouldn't want to do that with a traditional hard drive.
    So SSD is recommended.
    120 GB/111 GB isn't huge, but then who really needs to store hundreds of GB of data on an everyday laptop?

Do you really want to spend £95 more for more storage? I'll take a look at the site to see what is on offer and tell you what I think.
  • EveryWhere
    Ok the laptop that you are looking at is £365 + 20% V.A.T. £438
    Though you can obtain a 10% discount;
    http://www.dell.com/learn/uk/en/ukdfh1/campaigns/first-time-customer-dell-outlet-uk
    taking it to £394.20

It has a better processor a larger capacity SSD and dedicated graphics. Sells for £600 on Amazon; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspiron-5000-15-6-inch-Laptop/dp/B0767C5Q23

But does she need such a laptop?
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    i find desktops offer far better value and far better usability than laptops - i was recently given a work laptop to use while i was working from home and it was about 5 minutes of frustration before i decided to plug my screen and keyboard into the laptop - result a laptop that is usable for actual work!
  • FifiAnne
    First Anniversary
    It has a better processor a larger capacity SSD and dedicated graphics.

But does she need such a laptop?[/QUOTE]

Oh, I forgot the VAT !!!128533; Perhaps a smaller one wouldbe OK, I have no clue how much of what sort of files you can store in that sort of space to be honest. She's doing science and maths not graphics or media. I guess she'll probably play sone games and store photos on it but she's not a big gamer. We don't currently use cloud storage due to me being a tecno-thickie and it's yet another expense.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure