Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are those distances based on doing 70-80 on the motorway?
  • Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Even a trip like that, which is right on the edge of sanity, is right on the edge of feasibility.

It's 1hr15 for a full charge, but an hour will get you close as it slows a lot towards the end of the charge. In a 100D this will give you a 300 mile range, though booting it on the autobahns will reduce this a lot.

I think you could do it with another 30 minute stop at some point, perhaps the last supercharger before moving away from the network and/or the Eurotunnel supercharger before going under the channel.

Map here. https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/supercharger

Interesting. I didn't really appreciate how extensive that network is or how quick the cars charge.

Nevertheless, generally, I try to drive through Germany at 170-180 km/h (traffic permitting) which I expect would materially reduce the range.

Can 100% see how it would be a fun car in the UK though.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    westv wrote: »
    Are those distances based on doing 70-80 on the motorway?

Yes, but consumption goes up rather exponentially with speed, just as it does for gasoline.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • gadgetmind
    Options

Well, quite. I see a lot of people moving from diesel to electric but not many moving back.

I used to have a BMW 540i 4.4l V8 petrol, which was wickedly fast. But the Tesla is a rocket ship alongside, and does it with no noise or fuss and the torque is there from a standstill.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    JoeEngland wrote: »
    Ah, I misread it as saying you only get just over an hour's driving on a charge when you meant the charge takes that time.

Yes, a one hour charge will give you at least three hours of driving.

Yes, this isn't great, but progress has been stunning on charge rates, efficiencies, and capacities.

• itm2
    itm2 Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    So if one was planning a trip from say West London to the Lake District in a Tesla, what would be the chances of finding enough available charging points en route without having to introduce a 2-3 hour delay waiting for charging bays to get freed up?
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    itm2 wrote: »
    So if one was planning a trip from say West London to the Lake District in a Tesla, what would be the chances of finding enough available charging points en route without having to introduce a 2-3 hour delay waiting for charging bays to get freed up?

Currently very good as superchargers tend to be in banks for eight and the S/X are decidedly niche. I haven't seen any owners complaining about lack of capacity more where they are placed for trips to some far flung places.

When the Model 3 hits, the supercharger network is going to have to be expanded in several dimensions.

There are also some Tesla "destination chargers" in the lakes, but as they are 11kW you'd really need to be staying at that hotel or guest house. There are also a fair few ChaDeMo chargers (50kW) that are charged by the hour/unit.

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Yes, a one hour charge will give you at least three hours of driving.

Yes, this isn't great, but progress has been stunning on charge rates, efficiencies, and capacities.

I can see me moving to electric next time I buy a vehicle, but for long journeys at the moment they are no good. It would drive me nuts hanging around waiting to charge up - legacy of driving for a living, get going, get there, don't stop.:o
  • blisteringblue
    blisteringblue Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm hybrid at the moment (Lexus IS300h) and everybody at my works missed the trick. Company Car but as a 2.5l petrol hybrid you get the equivalent petrol rate of 22ppm. However as a hybrid you do 50mpg and not 20mpg a flat petrol would give. Last one I actually made money driving it with work, emmision tax rates are up now so it no longer totally free but its still a very cheap company car ;)

I have probably 1 more company car cycle before I retire and I am very tempted for a full electric. I do need 250 miles from a charge and this was always the limiting factor as my allowance would not stretch to a Tesla obviously. However there are some interesting cars out this year. The Hyundai Kona 64kw small SUV is hitting forecorts any minute now. 250+ easily on a charge with that one and going to be priced around 35K I think.
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Interesting. I didn't really appreciate how extensive that network is or how quick the cars charge.

Nevertheless, generally, I try to drive through Germany at 170-180 km/h (traffic permitting) which I expect would materially reduce the range.

There are plenty of speed limits in Germany now. Be careful.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback