Buyer is calming jewellery is fake

12346»

Comments

• kaya
    kaya Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Judging by this... https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090301231633AAB9bkQ ...I would seriously doubt they were genuine diamonds and were man made which I personally would class as fake, natural blue natural diamonds go for around $20000 a carat, man made or (fake) ones which can also be cloudy off colour ones that are heat treated and irradiated go for about $50 a carat,(I'm not a gemmologist) possibly the buyer thought there luck was in and they were getting a £5000 item for a silly price
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,682 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    kaya wrote: »
    Judging by this... https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090301231633AAB9bkQ ...I would seriously doubt they were genuine diamonds and were man made which I personally would class as fake, natural blue natural diamonds go for around $20000 a carat, man made or (fake) ones which can also be cloudy off colour ones that are heat treated and irradiated go for about $50 a carat,(I'm not a gemmologist) possibly the buyer thought there luck was in and they were getting a £5000 item for a silly price

I really doubt that any jeweller would put a naturally coloured diamond (they're sometimes referred to as 'fancy') in a silver necklace.

In fact the OP was very clear in her first post about them being treated gems:
    Bath_cube wrote: »
    The stones are a pale aqua colour and are treated gems.

You might consider heat-treated diamonds as fakes but this article is interesting:
    These are real, mined diamonds, which have been treated with exactly the same conditions radiation and high temperature conditions that would have produced a natural fancy in the Earth's crust. They are in every sense, real diamonds. The real beauty and popularity of these gemstones lies in the fact that they combine the unmistakable dazzle and brilliance of a diamond with the color saturation of colored gems, like rubies and emeralds.
    However, there are laboratory created faux fancies too, where the diamond crystal was grown in a laboratory and not mined. So when you shop for colored diamond jewelry ask about the origin of the gemstones, and check the certificate of origin to verify authenticity. Make sure you know what you are buying.
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Colored-Diamonds---Are-They-Real-Or-Fake-Diamonds?&id=3629072

As long as these were natural mined diamonds that had been heat-treated and the seller was upfront about the treatment, I'd class them as diamonds, not fake.
    If they were laboratory manufactured, that's different.
    I wouldn't necessarily expect staff at Ernest Jones to know or understand the difference.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Did you really tell the OP that the buyer was clearly trying it on?
    I thought that you only suspected this.

Unless I am in a position to state something absolutely definitely and provable, I use words such as "suspect", "think", "believe", etc. I was fairly certain but of course it has only been proven as the thread has progressed.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Pollycat
    On the subject of 'fancy' diamonds, I recall an episode of Antiques Roadshow where a woman brought in a ring that she thought was aquamarine.

The expert got all emotional as he said it was a natural blue diamond, very rare and very expensive.
  • Of course most blue diamond jewellery is irridated or heat treated. Could you imagine if the stones in my necklace had been untreated natural fancy diamonds? They would be worth a lot more than £250!. Some buyers expect the state diamonds for a argos price.
  • Pollycat. The monica vinader was bought for £95.
  • Pollycat
    Bath_cube wrote: »
    Pollycat. The monica vinader was bought for £95.
    Looking at the prices on her website for between .85 carat of diamonds (£1950) and .025 carat (£175), I'd be wondering if I'd bought a fake. :D
    Or if they'd missed a '0' off the price.

1 carat of diamonds (even tiny chips) for £95?
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    I am late to the party on this thread. I have a blue diamond jewellery piece. I don't think it looks anything like Topaz, London blue would be the most similar but they are different, I don't see how they can be mixed up. Aquamarine is very different too. Fwiw I think the most similar blue is indicolite tourmaline. Here's an indicolite set with blue diamonds..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7f49LuOqya0

As for real/heat treated, nobody could possibly expect untreated blue diamonds at that price, and they certainly wouldn't be set in silver. Here's an example of heat treated blue diamonds at the right price point, though I think they look a bit green in the pic.

https://www.gemporia.com/en-gb/product/blue-diamond-ring-with-white-diamond-in-sterling-silver-079ct/wokk86/

Cheap white diamonds tend to have a selzer ish appearance and don't sparkle as much as they tend to be more heavily included. They are certainly available though.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes GemsTV as its called do sell blue diamonds in sterling silver for actually reasonable prices. They do put on the screen I to show they are irradiated to get the colour.

This is accepted by the jewellery trade as a treatment.

Most rubies are filled as the unfilled ones are thousands to buy. By filled they are filled with glass, again recognised by the jewellery trade as acceptable.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,307 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    OP, every time I read this thread I think, Oh, that's nice the buyer is calming, so many buyers would get angry!!! Can you edit your title so it reflects what you are actually saying "Buyer is claiming........"
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport