PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Noisy Neighbours/

Comments

• You also have to remember that things change over time. I've lived in my semi for over 50 years with the same fabulous neighbours. We have all lived our lives and raised our families and never had any problems - with noise or anything else!.
    However, my surviving neighbour is now in her 80's and is extremely deaf so we can hear her tv as though is actually in our room!
    This is enhanced by my Mother, also in her 80's and extremely deaf, whose tv blasts away in our second sitting room!
    We HAVE to put our tv on to drown out the racket from their two TV's.
    I am also extremely noise sensitive so often use headphones or earplugs. There is no point in complaining as it 'falls on deaf ears' LOL
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Go for an end terrace preferably where the front doors are next to each other so that the living room is on the end furthest away from the neighbours.

This is only likely, if the terraced house is a modern one or an old fashioned one with hallway.

The house I was brought up in,like hundreds around it, had full width rooms, so you shared front and back living room walls with both lots of neighbours and likewise with bedrooms. A third bedroom over the kitchen may share just one wall or none and depends on the interior layout (nothing to do with front door pairing).
  • Exactly. Try convincing a noisy neighbour they are noisy. I've been in the same flat for decades and have had a variety of neighbours. The biggest factor in the amount of noise between properties is down to the people living there.

If you live in a settlement with other humans you are not going to get silence though, it shouldn't be expected.

I wonder how many of the people who complain about 'noisy neighbours' are actually guilty of making similar levels of normal day to day living noises themselves but don't realise it when its them!

Live and let live a bit, we all have to co-exist in crowded towns and cities.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2017 at 7:41PM
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Blimey, heaven forbid people can't even work now without some moaning about it.

OP: Ask your neighbours what time do they get up for work (if they work).

No work, no sex life, no TV, apparently if you want to be a good neighbour you should just sit still and sip tea!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 September 2017 at 6:00PM
    Detached is the only way to be sure!
    Err, unless the neighbour is like me, with a cockerel, two chain saws, two mowers, and a brushcutter.

Ah, the peace and quiet of the English countryside!* ;)

As I type, my neighbour is out with his tractor, flailing 2km of overgrown hedges.. "Kerrraaannnggg!" It will take him two days of loud metallic clanging to complete. Then, perhaps someone will come to do mine, or the farmer across the road will start.

*Even in the country, in a detached property, where people might expect to hear birds singing, the distant sound of a cricket match, or church bells, there are many times when it's not idyllic and peaceful. Yes, we do hear all those things, but it's just as likely to be a tractor, a chain saw, a combine harvester (which continue working after dark) or, heaven help us, a de-stoner!
  • Mossfarr wrote: »
    You also have to remember that things change over time. I've lived in my semi for over 50 years with the same fabulous neighbours. We have all lived our lives and raised our families and never had any problems - with noise or anything else!.
    However, my surviving neighbour is now in her 80's and is extremely deaf so we can hear her tv as though is actually in our room!
    This is enhanced by my Mother, also in her 80's and extremely deaf, whose tv blasts away in our second sitting room!
    We HAVE to put our tv on to drown out the racket from their two TV's.
    I am also extremely noise sensitive so often use headphones or earplugs. There is no point in complaining as it 'falls on deaf ears' LOL

There are these sort of "loop" things that deaf people can have put in I gather that will ensure they can hear tv's okay, but other people don't get their ears blasted with extreme volume.

My parents have to have one - as my father is deaf and my mother hates excess noise. Result = both of them happy.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    There are these sort of "loop" things that deaf people can have put in I gather that will ensure they can hear tv's okay, but other people don't get their ears blasted with extreme volume.
    They work for many.

The 90 year old lady adjoining a property I was selling, gained one suddenly when I told her son it was either that or a visit from Environmental Health.

It wasn't something they did on their own initiative, or indeed very willingly, but once installed, the old lady wished she'd had it much earlier.

And it worked for me too. I didn't lose the next buyer.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 10 September 2017 at 3:02PM
    If you live in a settlement with other humans you are not going to get silence though, it shouldn't be expected.

I wonder how many of the people who complain about 'noisy neighbours' are actually guilty of making similar levels of normal day to day living noises themselves but don't realise it when its them!

Live and let live a bit, we all have to co-exist in crowded towns and cities.
    "Live and let live a bit"? First flat, band practice every Sunday, midday to past 1AM. The people over the road asked how I put up with as it was loud enough to annoy them. Next flat, drunk "partner" of tenant arrived 2-4 nights per week, every week between 11pm and 4am to have his own drunk party normally lasting for about 3 hours. Shouting and loud music often left on after falling asleep, the other side of my bedroom wall. Despite endless complaints this went on for 15 years. Flat under my living room, 18 year old, music every evening, felt through the floor. I used to watch tv at about 80% volume, no choice. This lasted about 2 years. Fortunately he was imprisoned for attempted murder and supplying drugs to minors. Same flat next tenant. Asylum seeker. Every night about 6-7 young men congregated there. It was like being above a busy pub. Every time one of them used the toilet a door would bang loudly four times. Living room, bathroom, bathroom, living room. Their car alarm would regularly be set off by passing buses causing a stampede outside to check the car. This lasted a year but stopped after complaints. Same flat, next tenant. Drink, drug abuser with probable mental health problems. Loud music for 6+ hours a day accompanied by screaming and shouting through the night while smashing his flat. Ongoing but quiet at present. Flat under bedroom tenanted by nocturnal oaf with very loud voice. Regularly woken between midnight to 4am by doors banging loudly, then kept awake by hour long phone calls then tv or playstation games. Ongoing.
    These are the highlights, there have been others.

Maybe I should live and let live.

Its clear that people who refer to "normal noise" between flats and consider people who complain unreasonable haven't had to live with this !!!!.

I've had one complaint about my loud daytime music. I didn't need to be told a second time. I'm not ignorant about noise that I make. I'm not selfish or stupid and don't deny responsibility for any noise I make.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 10 September 2017 at 3:01PM
    No work, no sex life, no TV, apparently if you want to be a good neighbour you should just still and sip tea!
    You've got no idea. Its unlikely anyone living with noisy neighbours would welcome your smug comments.
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    They work for many.

The 90 year old lady adjoining a property I was selling, gained one suddenly when I told her son it was either that or a visit from Environmental Health.

It wasn't something they did on their own initiative, or indeed very willingly, but once installed, the old lady wished she'd had it much earlier.

And it worked for me too. I didn't lose the next buyer.

Yes there are lots of 'aids' that are available. Unfortunately my Mother simply doesn't think its a problem so is very unwilling to try anything. Like my neighbour, I can't force her to use loops, improved hearing aids, wireless headphones or anything else. That why I use headphones:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure