What makes a good cleaner?

Options

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Parents used to have a cleaner and were really irritated if they found cleaner had not worked full hours. Would never speak to cleaner about it, just moaned about it. Never took into account that the cleaner would do extra stuff if they noticed it needed doing.

So I guess if you find the job consistently takes less time than originally scheduled, talk to your client if you can't obviously fill the time with other tasks.

If you move something, put it back where you found it, rather than re-arranging your client's ornaments.

And find out what is important to your client: I have a friend who is unwell and sometimes housebound: they need someone quiet, who won't use products which cause reactions, and who will do pretty much exactly what they're asked to do, in the way they're asked to do it. Me, I'd let the cleaner get on with it, but my friend likes things done in particular ways.

The customer is always right.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • MrsSippi
    MrsSippi Posts: 287 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the further replies. Well..... I have started the job and admittedly I've only been once but could do with some opinions on this.....

I have been employed for 2 hrs a week to cover 1.5 hrs cleaning and .5 hrs dog walking. The wage set by my employers is £8/he which tbh is lower than I would have liked but given that I have no 'official'cleaning experience it is something I am not going to begrudge.

Anyway..... the property is an average size 2 bed bungalow and in 1.5 hrs my clients expect me to Hoover and mop throughout (lounge, 2 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and conservatory), dust throughout, clean kitchen and bathroom, dust and polish in bedrooms and conservatory and lounge AND also clean front windows.
    Admittedly it was my first visit so took a bit longer as I was trying to find some cleaning bits which weren't left out for me (mop, Hoover attachments they wanted used etc) but I was there still cleaning after 2.5 hrs having not yet walked dog and still not completely finished the cleaning.

Anyway, having mentioned this to a couple of people (a. Without naming names etc and b. Just to garner some opinions) it would appear the general consensus is that my employers are expecting far too much for the time and money. Believe me, I started work the second I got in the door and didn't stop once but it still wasn't enough time.

I'm not sure if my employers have had a cleaner before so can't honestly tell if they genuinely don't realise they are being unrealistic in their expectations or if they are taking the pee.

I am not going to say anything yet as want to see what 2nd visit is like and if they make any comments about what was done but would appreciate some thoughts on this. Equally, I am not going to have a moan at all but before I approach the subject with them (if indeed it's needed) I just want to make sure it's not me who is being unrealistic etc.
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally I would say something sooner rather than later. Let them know that for the amount of time the most you could do is a quick surface clean over that area, if they want you to clean it a bit deeper you will need son more time.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Options
    MrsSippi wrote: »
    Anyway..... the property is an average size 2 bed bungalow and in 1.5 hrs my clients expect me to Hoover and mop throughout (lounge, 2 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and conservatory), dust throughout, clean kitchen and bathroom, dust and polish in bedrooms and conservatory and lounge AND also clean front windows.

My cleaner does a 3-bed house in two hours - but it's a quick dust everywhere, a thorough hoover (which is the bit I can't cope with), a good clean of the bathroom and kitchen (although they are never 'dirty' as I usually wipe down as I go during the week) - she wouldn't have time to clean windows as well.

The house is reasonably tidy so there isn't a lot of moving things in order to clean.

Your 'employer' isn't paying you enough per hour and is expecting you to do too much in the time.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I go out and come back 2 hours later and it looks nice and smells nice. Mine does all the rooms as a general clean and then each week does a deep clean of 1 or 2 rooms e.g. cupboard doors, skirting etc - the stuff that just never gets done

God that's good going.
    I think mine is energetic & she just does the general clean. Smallish 2 bed house & single tidy woman living alone!
  • BrassicWoman
    Options
    I pay for 3 hours for a 2 bedroom flat, and it does take all that time to do it properly. No windows - that s what my window cleaner is for! And extra once in a while for a deep clean.

Have a chat now, not later!
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Pricivius
    Options
    To clarify a couple of points:

Change - I left the exact money for the hours and rate the cleaner was supposed to be doing. She unilaterally changed it so she was actually earning £2 less, but was cleaning for half an hour less at a higher hourly rate.
    I have always left the correct money - or what I thought was the correct money before the cleaner decided to change it without saying anything!

Kitchen roll - I have no problem with it being used for glass or mirrors, but my cleaner does not have to clean either and she used up an entire roll. That's excessive - she used it for everything. I have always provided everything requested in terms of fluids, cloths, brushes etc..

As for your query, OP, they are expecting too much. I ask for two bathrooms (one of which is rarely used) and a kitchen in 2 hours, with whatever hoovering can be fitted in at the end.
  • es5595
    es5595 Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OP, you don't say where you're based, but £8 sounds very low. I'd suggest at least £10, especially since I'm assuming you're self employed?
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,620 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pricivius wrote: »
    To clarify a couple of points:

Kitchen roll - I have no problem with it being used for glass or mirrors, but my cleaner does not have to clean either and she used up an entire roll. That's excessive - she used it for everything. I have always provided everything requested in terms of fluids, cloths, brushes etc..

We joke that our cleaner must eat kitchen roll. Somehow she uses loads, despite me providing j cloths and microfibre cloths which get washed after use.

Our biggest bug bear is that, despite us saying not to several times, she puts kitchen roll down the toilet in the ensuite. It is a macerating toilet and we have had to rip it out twice and replace motor/entire unit. 3rd time it was fixable with just a major service where they cleaned out tons of macerated paper. She still swears that she never does it.

Our cleaner is also quite aggressive with a hoover - we don't have much carpet due to big fluffy dogs but every skirting board has scuffs in the paint where she has bashed it with the hoover.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    We joke that our cleaner must eat kitchen roll. Somehow she uses loads, despite me providing j cloths and microfibre cloths which get washed after use.

Our biggest bug bear is that, despite us saying not to several times, she puts kitchen roll down the toilet in the ensuite. It is a macerating toilet and we have had to rip it out twice and replace motor/entire unit. 3rd time it was fixable with just a major service where they cleaned out tons of macerated paper. She still swears that she never does it.

Our cleaner is also quite aggressive with a hoover - we don't have much carpet due to big fluffy dogs but every skirting board has scuffs in the paint where she has bashed it with the hoover.
    I'd be hiding the kitchen roll when she comes round. Unless she fetches her own?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure