Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
    • lilly81
    • By lilly81 30th Jun 10, 8:28 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 2,312 Thanks
    lilly81
    Oxfordshire libraries offer up to 3 free DVD or audio book rentals per week. If you take your DLA award letter to any of the libraries they will upgrade the disabled person’s library card.
    Jambinos indoor play centre (Oxford) offer reduced entry price of £2.95 for disabled children. Just take a copy of your DLA award letter. The website is http://www.jambinos.com
    Snakes and ladders indoor play centre (Abingdon) offer reduced price entry of £2.50 (remember £1 for the supervising adult) Disabled rates are not advertised so you have to ask and show a copy of your DLA award letter. The website is http://www.snakes-and-ladders.co.uk
    Rugrats and half pints indoor play and sensory centre (Banbury) run a disability session on the first Tuesday of every month. Entry to this session is £3 per child including siblings. The website is http://www.rugratsandhalfpints.com
    Lakeside superbowl (Banbury) offer reduced rate bowling for the disabled person and carer of £1.75 each. Proof of disability is required. The website is http://www.lakeside-superbowl.co.uk
    Bowlplex (Oxford) offer reduced rate bowling for the disabled person and carer. £4.20 off peak £4.70 peak for disabled person and carer. The website is http://www.bowlplex.co.uk
    There are so many swimming pools in Oxfordshire that it’s best to just ask at their reception desk for reduced rates and take your DLA award letter.
    I have recently been successful in applying for 5 FREE legoland passes from merlins magic wand. It took 1 week for the tickets to arrive from applying online.
    They award tickets to families with a disabled person.
    The link is http://www.merlinsmagicwand.org/

Thats my lot
    LillyX
    Debt 03/08/08 £4805.26
    Debt free date 23rd march 2009
  • choo
    Merlin's magic wand is a charity run by merlin's (company that run Alton towers, legoland, etc) that grant tickets and help with travel costs to those with a disabled child. I was recently awarded 5 tickets to legoland and £116 travel costs for my son.
  • Young Aged Pensioner
    *Most* of these discounts appear to be available to disabled people who live in London/SE - What about those of us who live out in the sticks (South West) ?
    Originally posted by 21Twinkle
    and scotland
  • noddy hog
    National Trust
    (taken from the NT website)

Our admission policy admits the necessary companion, or carer, of a disabled visitor free of charge, on request, while the normal membership, or admission fee, applies to the disabled visitor.
    To save having to ‘request’ a companions free entry an 'Admit One' card can be issued. This card is made out in the name of the disabled person, not the companions, so there is not a restriction to taking the same person on each visit.
    To request an Admit One card, please e-mail the name and full postal address of the disabled person to the 01793 817634 or email accessforall@nationaltrust.org.uk for further details

Information
    The National Trust Access Guide 2010 (PDF / 4MB) provides more detailed information about the accessibility at our properties. Please note this is a large file and so may take some time to download.
    If you would like to order a hard copy of this book please contact the Access office at accessforall@nationaltrust.org.uk or call 01793 817634. Please quote ref no 7330909 for standard print, or 7331709 for large print.
    • adoreholidays
    • By adoreholidays 30th Jun 10, 9:34 AM
    • 4,559 Posts
    • 49,930 Thanks
    adoreholidays
    I have recenty bought 2 merlin entertainment passes for my Autistic son's. I recived a free transferable carers pass for both. Defenatly worth the money.
    Originally posted by shadowelvis
    I have these and managed to renew them this year for £75 at an attraction earlier in the year they are well worth the money sorry I had clicked on another link before this and mentioned this again on that link then came back carried on reading and noticed you had already posted
    • JayWalker
    • By JayWalker 30th Jun 10, 9:35 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    JayWalker
    It's true that many of the discounts only apply to the SE, but the principles are worth following. It helps if posters mention where they are, but the trick is to take proof of eligibility (copy of a DLA letter stating your entitlement, for example) and ask. If you're paying for a ticket at an attraction, ASK if there's a discount for disabled people, or if carers go in free.

Any discounts in your areas, SW and Scotland? Wales isn't as good as I'd like, but I can often get a discount just for asking - often by getting a pensioner's ticket if there isn't a specific disabled one. Smile when you do it!
  • noddy hog
    Toll Bridges

All major toll bridges offer a disability discount- but all differ. Its worth checking in advance.

For excample, the Severn Bridge only requires the blue badge to be shown at the time of crossing and the Humber requires pre registration.
    • adoreholidays
    • By adoreholidays 30th Jun 10, 9:43 AM
    • 4,559 Posts
    • 49,930 Thanks
    adoreholidays
    We originally lived in Hertfordshire and they had a database scheme that you filled in an application form called Hand this was to give them information so they could plan needs for people in the future not sure if it is child based they then issue you with a card that can be used and they gave you regular updates of info. We then moved to Bedfordshire and they do a similar scheme child with disabilities for the same purpose where you get a card and info about offers. So I think it is a national database and worth looking into if you do not already know
    • adoreholidays
    • By adoreholidays 30th Jun 10, 9:46 AM
    • 4,559 Posts
    • 49,930 Thanks
    adoreholidays
    We also have a go-bowling fun club membership card that entitles our son and his family or friends to bowl for £1.75 at certain times although says not at weekends we did book a saturday and we got it at that price, maybe depends how busy they are.
  • radcliffe287
    Theatre discounts
    Further to the Post about ticket discounts, most of the London Theatres (and some elsewhere) can provide a cheap ticket for the disabled person, plus either a free or discounted ticket for one companion / carer. But you have to phone the actual theatre Box Office, not one of the ticket agents, and it can be difficult to find the phone number. I usually go to the theatre's home page on the net and look for a Contact Us link or similar. I've found that these concessions are sometimes handled by their Marketing / P R people. As a "stroke survivor" I find this sort of concession most helpful - after all as many of you know being disabled brings so many extra costs, for example to get small jobs done which you perhaps used to be able to do yourself.
  • Mollie-rose8
    So do my Council-Greenwich Borough
  • karendb
    Free cinema tickets for carers accompanying disabled
    people: Google 'ceacard'

As a new user, I cannot give the website, but it is a co.uk one preceded by ceacard!
    Originally posted by dobbles
    Thanks to you and the others who gave this info - not one I'd heard of before

Do you know if it can be combined with cineworld vouchers bought with Tesco Clubcard rewards?
    I would love to be lazy but can't find the time
  • Mollie-rose8
    So does mine
    Care and repair offer a handyman scheme in my area for over 60's or disabled persons, it's free but a small donation is nice.
    Originally posted by Blackpool_Saver
    Greenwich Borough Council do too... here in the SE....brilliant!
  • tatmadpink
    merlin tickets
    hi,can you tell me how to apply for the merlin discount card,or for the disability award
    • Pete268
    • By Pete268 30th Jun 10, 10:56 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    Pete268
    York Theatre Royal give a discount for disabled people with carer.

However having shown them proof of being in receipt of a War Disablement Pension, they let both my carer and myself in free.

For any War Disablement Pensioners out there, you can obtain a War Disablement Pensioners' Status Card which cetifies you are a War Disablement Pensioner (or being in receipt of the newer Armed Forces Compensation Scheme payments) from the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency on 0800 169 2277. Its handy to have as it saves carrying around award letters etc and is generally accepted as proof of disablement.

Also, anyone in receipt of an ongoing War Pension (or AFCS Guaranteed Income Payment) no matter where they live can obtain a free Veterans Concessionary Travel Scheme Pass which allows free travel in London on the tube, busses, Docklands trains, London Overground trains etc (and off peak on a lot of normal trains around London) similar to the London Residents Freedom Pass. Details on how to obtain one here:
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14424.aspx

Peter
    • kevanf1
    • By kevanf1 30th Jun 10, 11:00 AM
    • 297 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    kevanf1
    Blue Badge holders can get 'free' travel on the M6 Toll but they have to first apply for a special pass costing a one off 'admin' fee of £15. It's up to the individual if you think it is worthwhile spending that £15. I only live about a mile from the Toll end junction 11a and have never used the road.
  • morph2008
    knowlsley safari park
    i went a couple of months ago my my disabled partner and i got in for free. we just showed the blue badge.
  • presleys mummy
    Longleat do very good rates for disabled children and carers. You can pre-book on line, and just need to take DLA letter or blue badge as proof. Disneyland Paris (a bit further afield!) will issue a special card which allows a disabled person and carer to access the rides via a special entrance, or a disabled child and all their party to use it. A lot of the rides have special wheelchair carriges if this applies. You need to take a letter from a Dr detailing the disability or your blue badge to the 'city hall' to get the card.
  • Ardvaark
    Almost every concert ticket I have booked lets carers in for free. These include; Shepherds bush empire; ipswich regent (free parking by arrangement); Ipswich corn exchange; the serpentine concerts, Hyde Park. All require phoning the box office to sort.
  • lindee
    Diggerland

The disabled person pays but their carer goes free. No reason why disabled people can't have fun!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

1,946Users online

Martin's Twitter