Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • welshsue
    • By welshsue 22nd Jun 10, 1:48 PM
    • 565Posts
    • 321Thanks
    welshsue
    Budget - tougher for DLA claimants
    • 22nd Jun 10, 1:48 PM
    Budget - tougher for DLA claimants 22nd Jun 10 at 1:48 PM
    Chancellor has just announced that from 2013 all DLA claimants, new and existing, will have to have medicals.
    What happens to all the people with mental health issues who have to go through these.... the docs don't recognise it and once again we will have to fight to keep DLA.

I thought he was going to clamp down on incapacity claimants - not a mention of them.
Page 2
  • Mandymull
    surely who ever got in to POWER would have had to make drastic cuts to the budget.....dont think we can blame the Tories for this one....its the country that is in a mess not the Party...
    Mandy
    I am trying to improve life for my family
    I must save money for our future.
    I must get back to my goal weight....
  • ankspon
    I predict a riot,i predict a riot-lets take to our crutches,walking sticks and mobility scooters and descend on Parliament,up the revolution
  • snoopy89
    i will join u, better still anyone got some laughing gas to ease the pain and have fun at the same time.:r otfl::ro tfl:
    • Bryando
    • By Bryando 22nd Jun 10, 2:58 PM
    • 1,449 Posts
    • 420 Thanks
    Bryando
    My DLA not up again til 2012, so can relax til then I suppose. However my GP gets involved I am !!!!!!ed! As he thinks I am fine and to get on with it.
  • snoopy89
    i am just about to send forums back for upgrade. eeeeeeeeeeeekkk. been awarded dla mobility till 65 or what ever when i was 23, i also get low rate dla. but things are getting worse a lot more a wont get better.
  • midnightlady
    I'm wondering when they say all claimants both new & exsisting, they mean everyone who has been awarded DLA for life too ???
    Big thanks go to all the posters of the competitions
    • Mupette
    • By Mupette 22nd Jun 10, 3:12 PM
    • 4,255 Posts
    • 6,945 Thanks
    Mupette
    Well that will be fun then, I have MS, my memory is fried, i'd like to see them find me a job that i can do, without the great urge to fall asleep, and i don't need to use my brain what so ever.

I can see those that have illnessess/diseases that impare life will suffer and those layabouts who fake back pain (not ones who genuinely do have) will win again

GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 22nd Jun 10, 3:16 PM
    • 16,961 Posts
    • 145,238 Thanks
    JackieO
    I have been registered disabled for 7 years ith arthritis and in 2013 will be 71
    A.If I could work, where on earth would I get a job, and as what as.I do not walk very far at all and rely on my car to get me around .
    B.My condition isn't one that will ever get better if anything it worsens with age.
    C. Having gone through breast cancer in 2007 and having had a mastectomy I am in remission at the moment .One of the remaining side-effects is severe Lymphodema of my right arm which I have to pay a therapist 40.00 per hour for treatment,if I moved to a different area I would get this free(post code lottery again)
    I am all for trying to get folk back to work and if I could, I would, but having worked from the age of 14 with a couple of breaks to have my children I think any benifit I get has been paid for over and over again already by both myself and my late OH who worked from 14 to 67 before retiring.He had three years before he passed away . I have had arthritis in one form or another since I was 25 and never claimed until I was 61 and was finding increasingly difficult to manage after losing my beloved OH who had helped me over the previous years .My Dr. actually suggested that I claim for it at the time.
    As a previous poster has said how on earth are there going to be enough Dr.s to do all the medicals.
    This country will sink into a sea of beaurocracy by 2015 at this rate.,or maybe I will just have it removed and become housebound and even more of a burden on the state
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Bryando
    • By Bryando 22nd Jun 10, 3:19 PM
    • 1,449 Posts
    • 420 Thanks
    Bryando
    My Doctors know I have voices and suicide attempts in the past. My risk assessment was at high, meaning I could not be alone with a nurse or doctor etc.

The risk is low fom what I am aware and things have been ok with me for a while.
    However I don't jump in to my GP when the voices getting concerning etc, therefore looks like am okay.

If I was to go to my GP I would be there nearly 3 times a week, nothing they can do!

therefore on this I may be declined DLA. If so I will appeal and no doubt that will cost the Govt more money. how much will the medicals for ALL people on DLA cost then others coming on to DLA be?
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 22nd Jun 10, 3:28 PM
    • 7,831 Posts
    • 11,663 Thanks
    spadoosh
    Well done all you tory voters,
    Originally posted by davidhwdn
    Funny no one 'voting for change' now is there!?!
    • welshsue
    • By welshsue 22nd Jun 10, 3:31 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    welshsue
    They definately said for all claimants, new and existing... not sure about awards for life... assume they will also need medicals.
    My DLA is due for renewal this year, just waiting for the forms to come through.... oh, joy I can see another battle on my hands to keep it. I will get CAB involved this year I think.
  • pinkykat
    This is a can of worms that they have opened. I am on DLA middle rate and Mobility lower rate for life because I am registered blind not been to the doctors in years because there is no help that he can give. Wonder if I will have to be assessed and if there will be a cure? wow that would be great to have someone say that I can see again.
  • JFKS
    I think this is a great way forward, it will sort out those who are playing the system.

It has taken me 3 years to get my DLA and I am due for renewal in 2 years time,

I look forward to a medical, because along with Doctors and hospital reports there can be no doubt about my illness.

It will be interesting to see how many people do not bother to renew claims when the system is put into place.
  • karatedragon
    I think this is a great way forward, it will sort out those who are playing the system.

It has taken me 3 years to get my DLA and I am due for renewal in 2 years time,

I look forward to a medical, because along with Doctors and hospital reports there can be no doubt about my illness.

It will be interesting to see how many people do not bother to renew claims when the system is put into place.
    Originally posted by JFKS
    It is very hard to "play the system" to get DLA. I know someone who had to go to a tribunal for it.

Was disgraceful.
  • JFKS
    It is very hard to "play the system" to get DLA. I know someone who had to go to a tribunal for it.

Was disgraceful.
    Originally posted by karatedragon
    I had to go to tribunal for mine, I even had one Doctor say well you dont look ill,

Its not that hard to play the system, I know of a few who do,
    • ladyabosso
    • By ladyabosso 22nd Jun 10, 3:56 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ladyabosso
    ladyabosso
    I have rheumatoid arthritis, one of the diseases that are currently listed as not being work assessed as it will always be with me. What happens to people like us then, especially as my incapacity benefit will no longer be payable as I will 62/63 in 2013 and I will just get my state pension?
    Any advice gratefully received.
  • karatedragon
    How much will it cost to provide a Medical Assessment to all current and new claimants?
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 22nd Jun 10, 4:16 PM
    • 25,779 Posts
    • 106,319 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    And how much money does this make the overseas company that owns ATOS?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
  • dmg24
    There is a great deal of scaremongering on this thread.

Those who are unfit for work will not be made to work. There have been no changes made to ESA or IB today.

No one has any evidence that DLA will be any more difficult to claim than it is now.

People would worry a lot less if they actually checked their facts, rather than just making wild assumptions.
  • snoopy89
    good, at last someone who knows everything, wundered how long it would take. pleas tell use all about the facts. when u have finished look at the things people are going through and then tell my m8 who works for the cad, as he said the info they got yesterday will make a lot of genuine people panick and worry and some will lose out. so please tell us all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,683Posts Today

8,445Users online

Martin's Twitter