Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    dane-katie
    Bipolar support thread
    • 7th Sep 09, 2:14 PM
    Bipolar support thread 7th Sep 09 at 2:14 PM
    I thought it might be best to have our own little thread, this is for everyone who has been, thinks they might be or just wants to generally chat about Bipolar.

I myself have just been diagnosed and have loads of unanswered questions, but think it would be nice for a support thread so we can all help each other and understand BP more.

If anyone has any great links to post for good late night reading i would be greatful.

Im sorry i cant add more i am at the beginning of my journey, but im sure there is people out there far more experienced than me

Is a Bipolar bear

Page 3
    • the devil made me do it
    • By the devil made me do it 17th Sep 09, 11:59 PM
    • 5,433 Posts
    • 2,258 Thanks
    the devil made me do it
    Was also referred to the local mental health trust for a psych. appt, and they refused to help me. SO a bit down about that.
    Originally posted by piratefairy
    It's the same where I live. The mental health services have had a major shakeup & even patients who have been in the system for 25 yrs are now being discharged and refused help. Instead people are being told to go to MIND, which, no offence to MIND, isn't helpful to people who are ill.
  • Rikochet
    Might not be Bipolar
    Hi I think I might have had something to do with this thread being made so I thought I should add my tuppence worth.

I haven't actually been diagnosed with anything yet apart from depression for which I am being treated for by my GP who has prescribed Sertraline. He's recently increased my dose to 150mg and for the moment I feel semi normal but no doubt that will change after a week or two.

After many years of suffering and bouts of depression and 'possibly' mania (please see my 'About to be diagnosed with Bipolar' thread) I have finally managed to stay with the same GP long enough to be reffered to my local NHS Psychology Dept for an appointment.

I am looking forward to this as this is something that I should have done years ago but before I met my OH I wasn't even able to admit anything was wrong never mind seek help.

I left my latest job after a few periods of absence and now receive ESA (126.80 a fortnight) and DLA lower care and lowest mobility (36.60 a week).

I've also applied to my local council for Housing and Council Tax Benefits for which I am awaiting a decision.

This has all happened in the last couple of months and prior to this I was losing jobs left right and centre and basically letting whatever is wrong with me ruin my life.

I am now on the right path and it's with no small thanks to the advice and support I've received from others on this forum that I've been able to do all of this.

Just some advice from me since I'm a veteran now.

1. I filled in my forms online and found it so much easier. The forms they send out to you can easily send you into a whirlwind of depression and anxiety which will make sure that they don't get filled in. Doing it online takes you through step by step and you only see the parts that are relevant to you and your circumstances.

2. Be honest with yourself when filling in the forms. If you have to get your OH to drag you out of bed by the teeth in the morning then say that. Don't be too proud about why you need help and most of all don't lie. They've seen it all before and you'll only get caught out in the end.

3. If your circumstances change let them know ASAP. A simple thing like a psychology appointment in a months time can help the decision maker decide how much care you need. They've always been really nice to me on the phone and treat me like a human being.

4. This forum is an invaluable resource but don't take everything you read as the truth as their are a lot of people out there who will moan and b!7ch about the system and how everyone's out to get you and to make you out as a liar. Ignore comments about keywords and lie detectors and filling out your forms on a full moon wearing a blue jumper and sacrificing an albino Panda to get your award. These are people who haven't got an award for whatever reason and just want to vent their frustration.

The system is there to help people who need it. If you genuinely need help and you're able to get this across on your forms simply and concisely it will make getting an award much easier. Use the resources that are available to you like CAB and MIND if you have one locally.

This has actually turned into a bit of a novel now so I'll leave it at that and wish you all good luck and good health mentally or otherwise!!!
    Amount of unsecured debt - 9059.83/9059.83

DMP starts with Payplan on 1st April!! (who's a fool now eh?)
  • skipsmum
    Thanks - great sense of humour u have!
    With Sparkles! And Shiny Things!

• starnight

Anyway I'm going to speak to CPN Tiesday as I'm feeling really down atm, and I know I need to keep taking meds, but feeling ?? I want to say lethargic or hopeless ?? and see what she can suggest, or if she will say to my sis about phoning me every night.

Hope everyones ok
    xx
  • lellie
    New psych!
    Argh! I finally meet my new psychiatrist in 45 minutes and I'm so nervous. I have recently been transferred back from private care to the NHS since my company health insurance have stopped my funding and it has been a huge shock to the system. To go from constant input and weekly psychiatrist appointments to virtually nothing has been difficult. I rapid cycle and my condition changes constantly so the thought of seeing my psych every 3 or even 6 months is worrying. Any tips for managing the NHS mental health system?
  • skipsmum
    Hi Lellie,
    I can only speak for my area (but it is a deprived area) - they have been fantastic and see me weekly. I see the same psych and nurse each time, which is great.

• starnight
    I seen my psych weekly for the first yr, we are now down to every 6 weeks. Just be honest with them...and maybe ask them what to expect.
  • dreamcatcher_7000
    Nhs
    I've been seeing the same psychiatrist for about 6 years, and she's been utterly fantastic.The environment is a bit shabby, as I live in a deprived area, but the staff and the doctors really couldnt be better.I hope your appointment went well lellie x
  • skipsmum
    yeah. MH services are in the bowels of the hospital with all the piping and boiler bits and peeling paint! But the staff are great.

• dane-katie
    Im off to see my pdoc today, hopefully she will increase my medication as i am still hallucinating daily, hospital i go to its quite nice where i see her, but they are moving next month so god knows where we will be put.

Is a Bipolar bear

• starnight
    On an update... I couldn't bring myself to tell my CPN that I hate taking my meds...but blood test so she'll soon find out. I hate feeling like I'm going to disappoint her, but I have restarted them and hopefull can get myself together.

Also had my DS appt yesterday. Paediatrician is 98% sure my son has Aspergers, doens't make a difference to me, but I am hoping that with help etc some things can become less stressful events. In the long run helping me stay stable and enabling me to help my son more.
  • skipsmum
    Starnight, my youngest has aspergers, my oldest has autism. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions/want to chat.
    Skipsmum

• dane-katie
    Backk from hospital, meds been increased to 300mg she said she will increase to 400mg when i next see her then up to 500 then 600mg, and if this doesnt help with the hallucinations then she will change my meds. I hope not they have been great for my moods aside from the odd day where i have been up and down all day otherwise i feel good

Hope everyone else is doing ok today.

Is a Bipolar bear

• BombayMix
    • By BombayMix 24th Sep 09, 1:11 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    BombayMix
    Hello, I just found this thread and feel the need to off load! I've been diagnosed bipolar for about 5 years now, I'm on sertraline and quetiapine, been pretty much stumbling along for a while. The past two weeks or so, everything has gone weird, I'm seeing things, hearing odd things. I keep wakening up in a panic through the night, thinking I'm suffocating, it's horrible and very scary, I am terrified to go back to sleep afterwards. I think it's worse when you feel you can't talk to people. I'm seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow, which I'm not looking forward to. I might be imagining it, but it seems like his attitude is 'I've given you medications, so now everything is alright.' And sometimes it is, but a lot of the time it isn't. He just doesn't seem to take it seriously. I'm just lucky that my latest appointment (every six months) coincided with me feeling so out of control, otherwise I'd have no one to turn to. Sorry. I'm rambling. I think the lack of sleep is really getting to me.
  • skipsmum
    Hi BombayMix, welcome to the thread.
    (although now I feel like ive hijacked it, welcoming people to somebody elses thread. Um. )

• savagej
    Hello, I just found this thread and feel the need to off load! I've been diagnosed bipolar for about 5 years now, I'm on sertraline and quetiapine, been pretty much stumbling along for a while. The past two weeks or so, everything has gone weird, I'm seeing things, hearing odd things. I keep wakening up in a panic through the night, thinking I'm suffocating, it's horrible and very scary, I am terrified to go back to sleep afterwards. I think it's worse when you feel you can't talk to people. I'm seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow, which I'm not looking forward to. I might be imagining it, but it seems like his attitude is 'I've given you medications, so now everything is alright.' And sometimes it is, but a lot of the time it isn't. He just doesn't seem to take it seriously. I'm just lucky that my latest appointment (every six months) coincided with me feeling so out of control, otherwise I'd have no one to turn to. Sorry. I'm rambling. I think the lack of sleep is really getting to me.
    Originally posted by BombayMix
    I get exactly the same feeling from NHS Psychiatry especially when it comes to the side effects or after 6 to 8 months when my anti-depressants / anti-manic stop working and I need a new one. I am constantly fatigued, put on a ton of weight and have some other ones wink wink, and when I ask about it I feel they are thinking "we got rid of the depression, you are no longer thinking of killing yourself, what more do you want?". As they take no notice. I was once told afterward when I was quizzed about being depressed "you got all of the questions right". I almost exploded, what did they think I was making up the thoughs of jumping in the river.

I once wrote them a letter after seeing an Orthopaedic surgeon and I left that appointment wondering if I had wandered into a BUPA hospital and did not realised. The guy I saw was so nice, did not think it was abnormal to know how the body works (in my experience Psychiatrists dont like it when you know diagnostic criteria or more about the drugs they prescribe than they do, which is not that difficult from my experiences), and even offered to copy me in to letters. It then occured to me my only previous experience of the NHS was with my GP and Psychiatry. I could write a list as long as your arm of all sort of stupid and insentive things Psychiatrist and Psychiatric Nurses have said to me over the years.

I also understand your point about needing to see them when unwell, if I am okay on the appointment day it seems like they think that is going to continue and not realise you could wake up tomorrow and be "in hell". My bi-polar cycles approximately 3 weekly (a friend counted it) I too have hallucination during the night and it terrifies me, I understand exactly how you feel. I have tried to get help between appointment only for them to tell me to have another diazepam and calm down or go to A&E, which seems like a ridiculous way of accessing a Psychiatrist.

Edit: I get envious when I read on the net about how people are treated in the USA, they do seem to go to the other end of the spectrum and chuck drugs at people but I would rather have mine changed when needed than have to wait months, only to see another different SHO who is simply not interested.
    Last edited by savagej; 25-09-2009 at 8:54 AM.
  • savagej
    I think I was ranting this morning, this illness affects me in all sorts of ways. Doing things you later regret big time is a major one.
    • zoelikesjam
    • By zoelikesjam 25th Sep 09, 9:16 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 5,523 Thanks
    zoelikesjam
    I desperatly need to go see my gp but i really dont want to. My new gp is HORRIBLE. We've just moved into a new area, new dr's etc. I've been to see him and he is an @rse. I've still not had a referal through for my new CPN or pysch. I'm on a real bp low atm and i've no crisis team number or contacts whatso ever. i honestly dont know what to do. To be honest i dont think i'll get through till monday, and even if i do i dont really want to go see him(even if i can get an appointment which is unlikely) Does anyone know of any other ways i can get some help over the weekend?
    May the force of the flyladies be with you
    Zoelikesjam Is loud...Obnoxious and completely inappropriate for all ages!
    Viewer discretion is strongly advised!
    I am pretty sure you DONT want to know whats on my mind!
    • septemberblues
    • By septemberblues 25th Sep 09, 10:25 PM
    • 825 Posts
    • 3,456 Thanks
    septemberblues
    Hiya, sorry to hijack your thread, I am on quetiapine & amitriptyline, and in the evenings when I take the quetiapine I get a blocked up nose and have to sleep sitting up, which is not comfy! Does anyone else have that problem? Or is it my bedroom, I have vacuumed and damp dusted but still have the problem. And yes, weight gain has been a problem for me, after I have taken my meds in the evening I get a huge appetite surge and want to eat anything I can get my hands on , I'm now at my heaviest for years
  • savagej
    The weight issue is a side effect of both amitriptyline and quetiapine but the blocked nose is just the quetiapine. If it helps and you are not on it already they have brought out a new formulation called Seroquel either XL or XR that you only have to take once a day. Aparrently it helps with alot of the side effects.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,516Posts Today

7,518Users online

Martin's Twitter