Bipolar support thread

I thought it might be best to have our own little thread, this is for everyone who has been, thinks they might be or just wants to generally chat about Bipolar.

I myself have just been diagnosed and have loads of unanswered questions, but think it would be nice for a support thread so we can all help each other and understand BP more.

If anyone has any great links to post for good late night reading i would be greatful.

Im sorry i cant add more i am at the beginning of my journey, but im sure there is people out there far more experienced than me :)
Is a Bipolar bear :p

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I don't actually suffer from Bi-Polar but just wanted to recommended a support site for those who do http://www.mdf.org.uk/

Hope that's ok :) It was recommended by a friend of mine who does have BP
  • Thanks ill go have a read now :)
  • lellie
    lellie Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Hey.

I was diagnosed in March following years of undiagnosed illness. Still not reached the land of stability. Currently in a depressive episode and struggling.

This morning I took part in Cardiff University's Mood Disorder Research. I thought some of you who have been diagnosed as Bipolar may be interested in taking part. There's no benefit to yourself, but it's interesting and could help pave the way for more understanding and eventually better treatments for those of us with Bipolar Disorder. It's the same research that Stephen Fry took part in as part of his "The Secret Life..." documentary. You can find out more here: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/medic/subsites/bipolar/studies/index.html

Other useful sites: http://www.rethink.org, http://www.mind.org.uk and http://www.time-to-change.org.uk
  • Thanks, i have give them a ring, they are passing my details on to someone in Birmingham as its a little closer and they will get someone to ring me :) just hope im doing ok when they ring.
  • lellie
    dane-katie wrote: »
    Thanks, i have give them a ring, they are passing my details on to someone in Birmingham as its a little closer and they will get someone to ring me :) just hope im doing ok when they ring.

Yeah, I had someone from Birmingham interview me too. Good luck with it.
  • Thanks i have it booked in, just a little worried about the blood test she wants to take, what is that for? i hope she is a nurse otherwise i wont let her do it.
  • Been in touch with MDF bipolar organisation, they dont have a self help group within easy distance of me, they have one in Sheffield but im not too keen on travelling there by public transport. They are trying to organise a meeting in Rotherham but are now 1 volunteer short, is there anyone out there who would be willing to volunteer to get this group going? please pm me if you can x
  • lellie
    dane-katie wrote: »
    Thanks i have it booked in, just a little worried about the blood test she wants to take, what is that for? i hope she is a nurse otherwise i wont let her do it.

She isn't a nurse, but is trained to take blood. They need the blood so they can analyse it for genetic research. They are trying to find out if there is a specific gene or set of genes that cause Bipolar Disorder.

If you don't want her to do it she may give you a blood pack which you take to your GP/practice nurse and they can do the sample then send it off for you. I've got to do that because my veins are terrible. No one can ever get blood out of my arm - always my wrist or hand.
  • Bufger
    Bufger Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I'm not sure if i have or not, i know i have some of the symptoms but i havent ever bought myself to get diagnosed as i think im coping alright. Plus i have a very good job and i wouldnt want anyone at work to know, even my bosses.

I have the highest highs and the lowest lows. Sometimes i can see the good in everything and i get really happy about the littleist of things. I even tell my OH not to worry about insignificant things. I go from that to completely depressed, i have time on my own sitting in my room watching tv or playing on the xbox. I dont want to see anyone and i would be quite contempt with living on my own.

I wasnt sure if it was autism at one point as i often concentrate on one thing and put all of my effort into it ignoring everything else (like a project with work or even making something at home). I go from one random hobby to the next!

Its completely opposite and changes quite quickly. My OH often jokes that i must be bipolar which did lead me to think about it. I think whatever it is about me that does this does make me an interesting person. I have some really profound moments and i feel like i value life much more than people that just walk through it day by day.

Maybe i'm bipolar and maybe im not. Still im quite happy with who i am and where im going in life at the moment.
    MFW - <£90k
    All other debts cleared thanks to the knowledge gained from this wonderful website and its users!
  • Hi Bufger glad your in a happy place with your life, mine got so bad it effected everything and everyone around me thats why i sought my GP's help and also the hospitals, if you find you have any questions feel free to ask im not as experienced as others but im sure we could answer your questions.

Please though if it does start to effect your life dramatically speak to your gp :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport