Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Jan 09, 3:22 AM
    • 10,969Posts
    • 120,539Thanks
    LameWolf
    Black Dog of Depression - can we help each other?
    • 14th Jan 09, 3:22 AM
    Black Dog of Depression - can we help each other? 14th Jan 09 at 3:22 AM
    Hello Friends

It's silly o'clock as I type this, but I've been lying in bed unable to sleep, and it occurs to me that there's not a Depression thread yet.

I think those of us who suffer this can help each other. I'd like to think so, anyway; I do know that, as a MoneySaving forum, it is relevant for those of us who go a bit OTT with the spending when the Black Dog has us. I know I do - I spend far and away too much on alcohol.

Depression is as much a disability as the physical stuff (of which I do have some also, I have lupus) but it is so sad that it is seen as something you can "pull yourself together" from. Etc, etc. If you've read this far, you know that it doesn't work that way.

OK, to get to the point..... I have had severe depression from very early in life (diagnosed at the age of 12, I have been on various anti-d's for the last 37 years) and I'd like to offer a "paw" of friendship to others in the jaws of the Black Dog.

I can't, obviously, wave a magic wand and solve all your problems, but I do think that we can perhaps share coping strategies, and maybe provide some mutual support.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
Page 3
    • lukiesgirl
    • By lukiesgirl 24th Jan 09, 5:24 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    lukiesgirl
    Hi all

I have just read your posts with much interest. I no longer feel so alone or that I am just going mad lol! Yes I have a dog who has moved in but I think he is a direct descendant of the back mongrels that I have given lodgings to since the age of 18. I am 43 now so not much hope!:confused:
    Like many of you I suffer with severe depression along with osteoporosis, thyroid, lupus and rheumatoid
    Tried counselling and take anti-d drugs but I dont think they have been very helpful. I have just found something really good which I would like to highly recommend - THIS THREAD
    Lukiesgirl

'it aint over til the husband stops spending!!!'
  • sharon59
    Welcome Lukiesgirl -glad we have been a bit of help.Depression seems to make us feel so alone and this thread really will benefit us in sharing the good and bad times and knowing someone is there who understands.please pm me if you want chat love sharonx
    this money saving is such fun
  • Gemmzie
    I seem to have two choices at the moment - feeling awful or feeling emotionally numb. I'm not sure which is worse. Does anyone else get this?
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • sharon59
    I get this Gemmzie -l just feel empty and dead inside -dont "feel"anything and the world goes on around me yet lm stuck in my own bubble-seems to be my lowest times when l experience that feeling.really dont like it but cant do anything about it.
  • sharon59
    hope everyone is getting thru today alright.sending hugs xxx
  • Purse String
    Hello there,
    I'm sorry to hear about how difficult it has been for some of you coping with this depression thing, I feel I only have it in bouts mostly with lupus flares.
    The sleepless nights are a right nuisance and after the 3rd night I sleep like the dead.
    I think the Audio CD's a great idea. Other things I find helpful are reducing caffeine intake from the middle of the afternoon and keeping to regular meal times, nothing too heavy in the evening.
    With the depression, I find having a good tidy up helps me even if it's a drawer a day. I think clutter can get you down.
    Also I used to keep a joke scrapbook, cartoons, quips etc. and bring it out on my black days. Of course it could all be done now on a PC.
    And finally, I try harder now to eat more fruit & veg to boost my energy, smoothies being my favourite.
    Hope this helps.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 26th Jan 09, 1:20 PM
    • 10,969 Posts
    • 120,539 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Hi everyone.

I hope you all had a reasonable weekend.

Welcome Lukiesgirl and Purse String.

Gemmzie, I know the "emotionally numb" thing very well. Added to the spaced-out feeling from the pain meds, I wonder that I'm not comatose at times! LOL. Hope you're having a better time today.
    LameWolf
    • TaBunny
    • By TaBunny 26th Jan 09, 4:35 PM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    TaBunny
    Gemzie, Sharon, god yeah that's how I feel a lot of the time, especially now my eldest daughter has moved out and I hardly see her, miss her so much and the younger one's just turned 16 and is never here sniff, gotta let em go but I'm scared of being alone.

Hi all, thanks for the hugs the other day, god I'm up and down like a roller coaster but everytime I'm bad now I think of Lamewolf's avatar howling at my 'dog of depression' and somehow it makes me smile.
  • Gemmzie
    Still not good today, in agony and can't shift it despite ibuprofen gel, paracetamol, heat pad, cold pad and relaxation techniques. I hate days like this.
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • sharon59
    Gemmzie -sorry youve had a rotten day-hope you get some rest tonight and feel better tomorrow.
    Tabunny -letting them go is really hard especially when your not well.I have a neighbour who cant wait for her 3 to leave and doesnt want them home-cant understand it at all!
    Pursestrings-thanks for offering some positive advice.Sometimes as you say something as small as clearing a drawer can give a feeling of satisfaction.I do a few hours a week in a charity shop and sometimes the effort to get myself there is immense but if l make it l find the change of 4walls of home to a more vibrant environment do lift me.
    Lame wolf-keep fighting
    love to everyone else!
    sharon x
    • black paw
    • By black paw 26th Jan 09, 10:34 PM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    black paw
    Happy anniversary sharon59 hope you have had a nice meal together. my brother has come to stay at my mums for a few days as wife away with kids visit other Grannie .with his black Labrador Hatty . i call her black paw !! she keeps giving her paw to you and want cuddles all the time so loving . make you feel alot better , as he has alot of thing gone wrong with family life both made redundant before xmas ect . he has another black dog !!! lucky i can talk to him and get him to write just one letter then have a rest , as he is not sorting anything the letter 's are piling up and he is tried all the time. he has a wekly session with Jeff , we say old poor Jeff this week will have to get some one to talk to as well , but Jeff has been marvouous in helping him , giving books to read for wife to . well must go now as worn out . hugs to all xx
    the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.
    • black paw
    • By black paw 26th Jan 09, 10:34 PM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    black paw
    think spelling is going to pot !!
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.
    • TaBunny
    • By TaBunny 27th Jan 09, 10:10 AM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    TaBunny
    Morning guys and gals, hope everyone is doing OK today and is coping in their own way. Didn't have too bad a night so have woken up a little more refreshed than normal but isn't it still so dam cold I just cant get warm
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 27th Jan 09, 11:57 AM
    • 10,969 Posts
    • 120,539 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Morning all.

TaBunny, you're right about it being cold. Our central heating's been on the blink, as well. Still, the blokey's just been to fix it, so warmth is gradually coming back into the bungalow.

I do agree with Purse String about even getting a small job done is satisfying.
    I have to make some bread rolls in a while (or Mr LW will have nothing for his lunch box tomorrow) and I'm hoping to feel well enough to make a mincemeat tart for our pud. We shall see. Mr LW has put all the equipment I need out on the worktop for me, so fingers crossed I'll get it all done.

Hope everyone's black dogs are responding to our Dog Training Sessions.
    LameWolf
    • black paw
    • By black paw 27th Jan 09, 12:03 PM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    black paw
    Hi yes all dogs in basket in coma !! , just off to see brother Labrador " black paw " can't wait for nice cuddle with her , she is so gentle . might even try to take her for little walk in park , as you can park right outside the gate , with lots of wooden benches you can rest on , lucky she is happy to go play with other dogs and comes back when worn out ! see you all tonight
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 27th Jan 09, 12:25 PM
    • 10,969 Posts
    • 120,539 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Awww, Jamla, she sounds gorgeous. I sometimes have a dog to stay with me. She belongs to a friend of Mr LW, and if her humans go on holiday somewhere they can't take her, she stays with us for the duration. Her name's Molly, and she's a real tonic. She even walks with the mobility scooter, off her lead.
    LameWolf
    • TaBunny
    • By TaBunny 27th Jan 09, 1:12 PM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    TaBunny
    Hi guys, god the 'dawg' just descended on me about an hour ago, I was doing fine but then after reading another thread I went down hill fast and now am sitting here feeling sorry for myself. Sh*t i hate it when I'm trying so hard to be upbeat and the slightest thing sets me off. I really need to go out and get my daughter 2 new school blouses, she's been asking me for a week. The shop is only a 5 min drive from my house but I keep thinking about the effort of putting on my shoes, getting in/out car, trying to drive the dam car, parking, walking to the shop and before I even get my shoes out I'm thinking myself out of going worrying I will fall or won't be able to park and i start panicking sigh. I really have to go and am trying to build the nerve and strength now to do it I hate giving in to my body and phobias.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 27th Jan 09, 1:22 PM
    • 10,969 Posts
    • 120,539 Thanks
    LameWolf
    ((((TaBunny)))) sending you a bit of Wolfy strength to go and get those blouses. Hey, it's only got once to be done, right? It's sunny here in Concrete Cow Country, so I'm guessing it's not too bad weather-wise where you are? It might rain tomorrow. Why not treat yourself to a little something while you're out? I dunno, a small choc bar, or a magazine or something. And you'll have a sense of having achieved something once it's done.
    LameWolf
    • TaBunny
    • By TaBunny 27th Jan 09, 1:28 PM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    TaBunny
    Thanks Woofie, yeah it's sunny here in London too, but so cold. OK I'm off to put my shoes on and will report back when I get in lol so keep sending the strength ;-)
    • TaBunny
    • By TaBunny 27th Jan 09, 2:29 PM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    TaBunny
    Puff! Well I'm back and that was no mean feat I can tell you and I nearly passed out when the woman in the school outfitters told me that 2 blouses and 1 jumper were going to cost me 38! OMG crikey I haven't bought any uniform for a few years as she's done well with the stuff she had, now she's only got 6 months to go and her stuff is well worn so thought I'd better replace it but can't believe it the jumper had gone from 17 to 23 crikey, credit crunch not half. Still I made it there and back in one piece, if a little out of breath, I'm glad I went thanks for all the support guys.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,666Posts Today

8,333Users online

Martin's Twitter