Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ames
    • By Ames 20th Nov 08, 3:42 PM
    • 17,728Posts
    • 31,354Thanks
    Ames
    Grrr - blue badge
    • 20th Nov 08, 3:42 PM
    Grrr - blue badge 20th Nov 08 at 3:42 PM
    I went to morrisons this afternoon, and saw some people getting out of a car parked in a disabled bay without a badge. So I wound down my window and said 'excuse me but you've forgotten to put your badge out'. The woman said 'I'm with my 92 year old father, I've got to catch him up, that's why we're parking here'. Hmm, if he needs catching up to then surely his mobility isn't that bad? Besides, there were spaces as near, if not nearer, to the door that weren't marked that she could have parked in (I needed the disabled bay because of the extra room). Then I got into the store and she was pointing me out as if I were the wicked witch! And had a go as I was leaving, saying 'this is my father, it's clear we had a genuine reason for parking there'.

I'd be quite interested to hear other people's views on this, whether age entitles you to park in a disabled bay? I have to say that I think if you don't have a badge you don't use it, I mean she wouldn't have got away with that excuse with a traffic warden in town, so why should a supermarket be any different?

And was I right to challenge her in the first place? I mean, her dad was nowhere in sight and I'm not a mind reader...
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
Page 2
    • mancitychick
    • By mancitychick 20th Nov 08, 9:48 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    mancitychick
    I have to say parent and child spaces annoy me as they eat in to spaces where you used to put disabled ones.

They have clearly been invented to protect the supermarket from the small theoretical risk of litigation if a child was run over rather than by working out how easy it is for folks to cover the distance.
    Originally posted by nanokitten

Or maybe they have been invented, to make it possible to get a baby in a baby seat out of the car using the extra width.

Also the fact that you can safely put the pushchair down the side of the car whilst putting baby & seat on to it without have to stand at the back of your car with cars dodging round you.
    • bennymac
    • By bennymac 20th Nov 08, 10:03 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    bennymac
    its quite a heated subject but i do think its the responsibility of the supermarket to police who is using the disabled or parentand child bay. if they were doing it and were satisfied that some people have a valid excuse then maybe the people who are parked there wouldnt have to worry about being challenged or having dirty looks thrown at them.
    i'm all for digging people up who park in the drop off point too lol ......
  • pazza
    Whatever happened to giving people the benefit of the doubt?

All this talk of misuse of blue badges just promotes the idea that everyone using disabled bays is some kind of con artist.

I’ve lost count of how many (incorrectly issued) parking tickets I’ve received from traffic wardens, who’ve openly admitted that, due to misuse and fraud, they’re told to completely disregard blue badges. (You won’t believe this, but the traffic warden told me this as she was putting a ticket on a Sunshine Club minibus!)

I might be wrong, but I think it’s the supermarkets duty to police the disabled parking bays, and failure to do so contravenes the disability discrimination act. So if you suspect people might be misusing disabled bays, take it up with the supermarket.
    • RAGSTORICHES
    • By RAGSTORICHES 20th Nov 08, 10:15 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    RAGSTORICHES
    I think the Supermarkets should do more to check the disabled bays are being used correctly as these days I personally wouldn't challenge anyone incase they had a go at me as I am asthmatic and stress makes it worse. Slightly different subject but I find there are not enough disabled parking spaces in the Supermarkets and can often not find one.
    • mancitychick
    • By mancitychick 20th Nov 08, 10:15 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    mancitychick
    Wow looks like I've stirred up a hornets nest! I like a good debate though. I'm glad no-one said I shouldn't have challenged them.
    Originally posted by Ames
    You sure have!

As to everyone that said for me to get blue badge and make it offical. I've never looked into it and wouldn't even know if she would meet the offical symptoms/requirements for a badge.

However what I know is it makes it easier for my Nana who is slow losing her mind and suffers with her legs, then quite frankly blue badge or no blue badge I'm going to do what is easier for her.

The op asked if age is a consideration and what I was trying to say was in my opinion age isn't but fitness/health is and I tried to give examples of why I believe this.
  • tenacioust123
    You sure have!

As to everyone that said for me to get blue badge and make it offical. I've never looked into it and wouldn't even know if she would meet the offical symptoms/requirements for a badge.

However what I know is it makes it easier for my Nana who is slow losing her mind and suffers with her legs, then quite frankly blue badge or no blue badge I'm going to do what is easier for her.

The op asked if age is a consideration and what I was trying to say was in my opinion age isn't but fitness/health is and I tried to give examples of why I believe this.
    Originally posted by mancitychick
    Like someone else said if your happy to pay the fine so be it.... but if I was you i'd rather apply for a blue badge, it's very easy to do just give your council a ring or have a look on your councils web site. The form is very basic and it takes about a week to come through.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 20th Nov 08, 10:26 PM
    • 17,728 Posts
    • 31,354 Thanks
    Ames
    The problem with leaving it to the supermarkets is that they don't police it. And it's not just supermarkets, I once complained to my GP surgery and was told they wouldn't do anything because it was probably staff misusing it!
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 20th Nov 08, 10:33 PM
    • 36,731 Posts
    • 47,406 Thanks
    McKneff
    Hi I have a blue badge and yesterday my son decided to take me out shopping we found one disabled bay left.
    I opened my door to get out and standing by the side of me was a man in his seventies just glaring at me. I just looked him in the eye and said would you like to examine my blue badge, poor ds didn't know where to look.

He assumed I was not disabled until he saw me walking.
    I do feel some people are so rude and assume everyone young is healthy.

I am pleased that asda employ people who are illegally parked in these bays to fine them. Shame the other supermarkets don't follow suit.
    There's no excuse if you are eligible for a blue badge apply for one.
    ally
    Originally posted by Valley's girl
    Let us look at this from a different perspective. Say this man was looking at the person in the car in front of you and glaring at them because they didnt have a badge. Surely you have to give him some credit because in effect he was looking after disableed peoples interest. This car owner (who doesnt have a badge) gets embarrased because they have been confronted, they move off and make a space for you who has got a badge, good for him I say, you should be thanking him.
    Last edited by McKneff; 20-11-2008 at 10:35 PM.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • elizabethsmum2008
    Hi, I be interested in what you thought about my situation, I have a 4 year old little girl that is disabled, she can not walk or talk. and although she's 4 is the size of around 12 - 18 months, She receives high rate care and mobility, and also has a blue badge, Now i have to say, some of the bad looks i recieve when i get her out the car is unbelievable, i feel as if she should where a big sign saying what all her disablilites are. i feel as if i shouldnt use the disabled bays because she's a young child or a baby as some people say.

What are your views?

Thanks
    mandy
  • tenacioust123
    Hi, I be interested in what you thought about my situation, I have a 4 year old little girl that is disabled, she can not walk or talk. and although she's 4 is the size of around 12 - 18 months, She receives high rate care and mobility, and also has a blue badge, Now i have to say, some of the bad looks i recieve when i get her out the car is unbelievable, i feel as if she should where a big sign saying what all her disablilites are. i feel as if i shouldnt use the disabled bays because she's a young child or a baby as some people say.

What are your views?

Thanks
    mandy
    Originally posted by elizabethsmum2008
    From reading on here it does not seem to matter what age you are, you still get the odd funny look. I know I do i'm 45, my sons mate is 22 and lost a leg out in Iraq, he gets verbal abuse quite a lot.

I deal with it by ignoring it, disability is not always seen.
    • Tally-Ho
    • By Tally-Ho 20th Nov 08, 11:50 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    Tally-Ho
    Well to be honest, as the alleged 'fines' for parking in supermarket/shopping centre/hospital/doctors etc car park disabled bays etc are not enforcible (and through the power of the internet etc an awful lot of people know this very well indeed) unless there is a change in the law to make the fines enforcible the situation will just continue.

Various supermarkets and shoppimng centres don't help either as they just have signs up saying 'disabled parking only' which although implies Blue Badge Holders it doesn't actually say 'Blue Badhe Holders only' so anyone with any disability can park there and say 'I am disabled' and get away with it. The signage does need to be correct.

Overall though, what is really needed is a change in the law to allow enforcible Penalty Charge Notices (as opposed to the current non enforcible 'invoices' done up as parking tickets) to be issued on private lands (such as supermarket/shopping centre car parks) to drivers parking in disabled bays without a Blue Badge and for it to be rigidly enforced. The only way to get such legislation in force would be to lobby MP's.

Until it becomes an enforcible offence the situation is not going to get any better.

Tally
    Last edited by Tally-Ho; 20-11-2008 at 11:56 PM.
  • Pssst
    AFAIK supermarket type disabled bays are not legally enforceable. Ifi were givewn a ticket in somewhere like ASDA,I would tell them to shove it,it wouldnt get paid,and id take my custom to Tescos. Come to think of it,if they are for disabled people then surely it is for the individual to decide if they are disabled? You could easily consider that you have a disability but not be in possession of a blue badge.
  • pazza
    AFAIK supermarket type disabled bays are not legally enforceable. Ifi were givewn a ticket in somewhere like ASDA,I would tell them to shove it,it wouldnt get paid,and id take my custom to Tescos. Come to think of it,if they are for disabled people then surely it is for the individual to decide if they are disabled? You could easily consider that you have a disability but not be in possession of a blue badge.
    Originally posted by Pssst
    No, there's usually a sign somewhere that says 'Blue Badge Holders Only'.

Also, I thought supermarkets in certain circumstances towed cars not displaying blue badges, not ticketted them.
  • Pssst
    But surely such signs are not of much use since anyone could be in possession of a blue badge and yet not be disabled i.e they are abusing the use of the badge. Who will challenge them? And yet someone like myself who has AS of the spine and neck and sometimes suffer great pain,does not and would not obtain a badge,may on the day of a particulrly painful episode,park in such a bay but would possibly be berated for not displaying a badge although i was in a bad state and simply wanting easier access.
  • pazza
    Why don’t you get a blue badge for the days when need easy access? If you don’t have a blue badge and park in a disabled bay, you run the risk of being towed or ticketed.

I think it goes without saying that ‘Blue Badge Holders Only’, mean legitimate ones! It’s down to the supermarket to police its disabled bays, not joe public.

Let’s not forget that it’s an extreme minority that abuse the blue badge system.
    • JoolzS
    • By JoolzS 21st Nov 08, 2:51 AM
    • 810 Posts
    • 1,233 Thanks
    JoolzS
    I think that the biggest problem for blue badge holders is that other spaces have now apparently become out of bounds. When it used to be just disabled spaces that were out of bounds then everyone just accepted it. Then the "parent and child" spaces came into being (no idea when or why) and they aren't legally restricted spaces - just a courtesy. I have never, ever parked in a disabled space, but I will quite happily park in a "parent and child" space when the supermarket is obviously not very busy. I think that a lot of people have come to see disabled (or blue badge) spaces and parent and child spaces as being equally important (or unimportant).

Julie
  • Babshubbie
    Letís not forget that itís an extreme minority that abuse the blue badge system.
    Originally posted by pazza
    I am not so sure that is true. If the press is to be believed, there is a huge market in stolen and forged Blue Badges and these will be being used illegitimately every day. And that is forgetting the oeople who just "leave the car" in a Blue Badge bay while "I slip to the cash machine" "get a paper" or whatever.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 21st Nov 08, 9:06 AM
    • 6,900 Posts
    • 12,447 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    ASDA policy is that blue badge holders can use the disabled bays as can people who have a broken leg as they have problems walking but are not eligable for a blue badge.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • colin13
    • By colin13 21st Nov 08, 9:13 AM
    • 986 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    colin13
    I have to say parent and child spaces annoy me as they eat in to spaces where you used to put disabled ones.

They have clearly been invented to protect the supermarket from the small theoretical risk of litigation if a child was run over rather than by working out how easy it is for folks to cover the distance.
    Originally posted by nanokitten
    same here what did we do b 4 child parking areas,,if no disabled paking space avaliable i just use tht parent and child parking bay and put up my blue badge,, so far no 1 has said anything yet but waiting on it
  • Babshubbie
    ASDA policy is that blue badge holders can use the disabled bays as can people who have a broken leg as they have problems walking but are not eligable for a blue badge.
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    Our local ASDA has lots of disabled bays, more than any other supermarket, but there is never one free!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

1,946Users online

Martin's Twitter