Don't use Hargreaves Lansdown

Comments

• That people interested in their pension options should firstly be compelled to buy advice, only for the adviser to wash his hands of the business if it doesn't fit his interest, strikes me as absurdly unfair.

It would never occur to most outsiders that a financial adviser asked to sign a declaration stating that he had provided financial advice - knock yourself out!- should refuse yet still expect full payment for providing financial advice. I'm trying to think of its equivalent in another business.

But, as bowlhead says, they didn't need to help, so they didn't.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 20 September 2019 at 8:19PM
    Sorry bowlhead, I read your post but missed the bit where the layman finds a provider who will accept a transfer on HLs terms by contacting..who did you recommend?

I think the advice in the second paragraph of xylophone's post #130 is relevant.

Really you have two routes if you might want to do a regulated DB transfer despite advice against it:

1)
    a) identify your preferred new pension provider;
    b) ascertain exactly what documentation they would require to arrange a transfer against advice. If they will not entertain a transfer without advice, go back to (a) and repeat;
    c) once the preferred provider has confirmed exactly what they would require (e.g. "your adviser must sign this proprietary form confirming X, Y, Z"), begin your search for advisers;
    d) prior to engaging your preferred adviser, confirm that once they have provided you with the advice - and despite the nature of the advice - they will will provide the required declaration to the ceding and receiving schemes in the specific manner that those schemes prescribe, as identified in (1b) above.

or
    2)
    a) identify your preferred pensions transfer adviser;
    b) ascertain exactly what documentation they would be willing to provide to a receiving scheme if they recommend against the transfer and you want to go ahead anyway;
    c) if they confirm that they will only provide the bare minimum - a declaration that they provided advice, in their own proprietary format, begin your search for advisers that will accept that.
    d) prior to engaging your preferred adviser, ensure you have identified at least one receiving scheme that you would be happy with (even if just for the short term) which is willing to accept the transfer if they receive the documentation in the specific manner agreed to be provided in (2b).

Whether you follow method 1 or method 2 - if you end up in a situation that the receiving scheme does not accept the adviser's documentation as being satisfactory, you could 'assign blame' by seeing whether it was the case that the adviser was now refusing to provide the exact documentation he had said he would provide, or was it that the receiving scheme was refusing to accept the exact documentation he had said he would accept.

If you spend thousands of pounds on an advice service that doesn't get you the outcome you want, it will be frustrating, so you should consider whether what you get from the process will allow you to succesfully hook up with the receiving scheme of your choice. If it won't, change the adviser of choice or the receiving scheme of choice. Absent some good luck, you may not be able to hook up with your first choice of both adviser and receiving scheme. I do agree with you that the fact that not all advisers and schemes will cooperate with each other to help you achieve your goals is a potential 'trap'. To avoid the 'trap', do the research up front.

I still agree with FOS that your duplication of advice fees was your fault for lack of research or your new scheme's fault for inflexibility of approach, rather than exclusively HL's fault for giving you a declaration that your new scheme didn't like.

It would never occur to most outsiders that a financial adviser asked to sign a declaration stating that he had provided financial advice - knock yourself out!- should refuse yet still expect full payment for providing financial advice. I'm trying to think of its equivalent in another business.
    In this example, as admitted by you and as highlighted in the FOS outcome report, the financial adviser provided a declaration stating that he had provided financial advice.

You tried to use that declaration to prove that you had received advice, and someone didn't accept it because they had inflexible policies.

You were desperate to convert your package of benefits to a cash sum as soon as possible so went and bought more advice rather than arguing with the person that they should accept the existing valid declaration, or picking a different scheme to transfer to.
  • Well I agree with the above from bowlhead but when potential clients approach Hargreaves Lansdown, they're not going to be told anything like that.
  • I still agree with FOS that your duplication of advice fees was your fault for lack of research..

Fair enough but the duplication of fees was the least of my concerns. It would have been a far bigger deal if I had followed their recommendation and given up on the transfer. Above that, the biggest concern of most outsiders approaching a pension transfer is the danger of being scammed, and they are never more vulnerable imo than when their financial advisers leave them to find alternative providers out of a phone book before a deadline.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    bowlhead99 wrote:
    I still agree with FOS that your duplication of advice fees was your fault for lack of research or your new scheme's fault for inflexibility of approach, rather than exclusively HL's fault for giving you a declaration that your new scheme didn't like.

Fair enough but the duplication of fees was the least of my concerns. It would have been a far bigger deal if I had followed their recommendation and given up on the transfer. Above that, the biggest concern of most outsiders approaching a pension transfer is the danger of being scammed, and they are never more vulnerable imo than when their financial advisers leave them to find alternative providers out of a phone book before a deadline.
    I do recognise that it's a problem for the industry that people who want to go against advice and are vulnerable may be tempted to get into bed with all sorts of dodgy advisers or pension providers at the last minute in order to push on with the conversion of their previously agreed benefits into cash, when a mainstream adviser declares that converting the benefits is not the best thing to do.

The facts that (a) advice in these circumstances is not cheap and (b) the number of advisers and receiving schemes are limited, are a function of genuine advisers and schemes erring on the side of caution because they and their insurers prefer them to limit liability where possible; this does make it difficult for customers who just want to get their own plans rubber-stamped.

The advisers in this case were quite clear that they weren't going to help you find receiving schemes, and it was not them who said you should go and get an alternative adviser. Your receiving scheme of choice said you should go and get an alternative adviser because they had an aversion to the paperwork provided by your first adviser HL, and you decided to change adviser rather than receiving scheme.

The FOS adjudicator and ombudsman say "The crux of this complaint seems to be that Mr W believes Hargreaves Lansdown could and should have done more to assist with the OPS transfer once it had advised against it", which is the sort of complaint that will fail because they had said up front that they didn't intend to help you get hooked up with a new scheme if advice is negative and they *did* provide a declaration of advice to allow you to go to a new scheme and proceed even though they didn't agree with you proceeding down that path.

The change of advisor or change of scheme, running around before a deadline is surely something that's on your own head really: HL are not pushing you to pick Xafinity (requiring another advisor due to Xafinity's intransigence) over any other scheme; and are not pushing you to pick another advisor because they have done the work and have given you a declaration that they have done the work, so no other advisor is needed, as long as you pick a scheme who will accept a declaration on the advisor's headed paper stating that the work has been performed.
  • I can see that some practices of the industry that laymen would call indefensible are staunchly defended by those inside it.
    As an outsider, I can see very clearly that financial advice - which we are compelled to enlist - is often based on the interest of the adviser rather than the buyer.
    In the case of Hargreaves Lansdown, insult is added to injury when an insistent client goes against their advice. I cannot think of another industry (politics excepted) where it is even legal for a business to deny involvement in the process for which they charge so handsomely.

My fees are a fraction of what I would have lost had I accepted the recommendation of my financial adviser: in some ways, I was lucky because - contrary to bowlhead's assumption - I did not rush to a transfer against the CETV deadline, I bought myself another three months.
    So much is chance.
    My purpose now is simply to stop anyone replicating my mistake by choosing Hargreaves Lansdown to investigate the viability of transferring their DB pension.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My purpose now is simply to stop anyone replicating my mistake by choosing Hargreaves Lansdown to investigate the viability of transferring their DB pension.

Post 130 - other advisers might take the same stance?
  • The more the better xylophone.

Would be interested to hear from others enmeshed in HL's process. Imagine the Financial Ombudsman might change their sympathy if they were dealing with a handful of like cases at once.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you bowlhead for your detailed followups.

This is purely a guess but I wonder if the other provider that wanted their form completed was because they required it to go through the agency of an intermediary?

If that was the case, then I understand HL not signing the forms as any business processed through the agency of an intermediary sees the intermediary take on potential liability to a greater level than if it was just the confirmation of advice received (which they were willing to provide). Several of the providers in the list I know will only accept the transfers if an intermediary does it through their agency.

Alternatively, it could be that the receiving scheme are the cause of the problem by insisting on their form being completed and not accepting third party forms.
    I cannot think of another industry (politics excepted) where it is even legal for a business to deny involvement in the process for which they charge so handsomely.

Loads do. e.g. I will charge you for doing that bit of the work but you will need someone else to the other bit of the job.
  • "Loads do. e.g. I will charge you for doing that bit of the work but you will need someone else to the other bit of the job."

But then to deny involvement in the first bit?
    Maybe in Wyoming.

"I wonder if the other provider that wanted their form completed was because they required it to go through the agency of an intermediary?"

No.

"Alternatively, it could be that the receiving scheme are the cause of the problem by insisting on their form being completed and not accepting third party forms."

Again, no. I volunteered to visit their office so that their tame adviser could complete the form by declaring that he had provided me with financial advice.
    The receiving scheme were as surprised as me that Hargreaves Lansdown went "no comment."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure