Change in rent

This is my first post so sorry if it is in the wrong place.

I rent a garage and pay monthly. I normally get a statement every 6months. I just received a statement saying I am in arrears as the rent had been raised however I was unaware of this and continued to make the normal payments.

I feel someone should of contacted me a lot sooner to state this as then I would not of got into these arrears. I am deaf so I understand they couldn’t phone me and they said they had sent me a letter however I did not receive this.

My question is, are companies allowed to wait 6 months before sending me an arreares letter. As now I am in £300 arrears and was not aware they had hiked the payment.

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Companies can wait upto six years to chase for any money they are owed. The relevant law is the Limitations Act 1980.

The contract for the garage rental with either state how notices may be served on you or be silent on this point. If it does not state how notices are to be served on you, I understand that the courts generally accept that a letter to your last known address with no proof of posting is sufficient. If the contract says that proof of posting or proof of delivery is required, then this is the standard that has to be met. Usually the contract can be varied to include notices having to be sent with a proof of delivery if both parties agree. You might want to consider this if you don't want to be affected by notices that are lost in the post.

You could offer to clear the arrears over the next 12 months.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure