Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zzzLazyDaisy
    • By zzzLazyDaisy 16th Oct 08, 2:03 PM
    • 12,134Posts
    • 18,762Thanks
    zzzLazyDaisy
    The (not so old) Crocks Cafe
    • 16th Oct 08, 2:03 PM
    The (not so old) Crocks Cafe 16th Oct 08 at 2:03 PM
    *Raises the shutters*

*puts out tables and chairs outside to take advantage of the October sunshine*

*Puts out sign saying 'open for business'*

Anyone for afternoon tea and a chat?

Members of the Crocks Club

1 zzzLazyDaisy
    2 kpwll
    3 hm71
    4 rosieben
    5 Sharon59
    6 sparrer
    7 lozzer90
    8 littlemissmanics
    9 Horace
    10 margaretclare
    11 pink_fairy
    12 Lame Wolf
    13 lucyhope
    14 Altocumulus
    15 Kaat Lady
    16 Pink Jenn
    17 Carbonel
    18 Pipkin
    19 JJ7
    20 raeh
    21 wildflower
    22 DRAGON
    23 Magenta
    24 Rebel
    25 philnicandamy
    26 nichart
    Last edited by zzzLazyDaisy; 30-10-2008 at 4:18 PM.
Page 222
    • bigzippy
    • By bigzippy 24th Jul 10, 4:35 PM
    • 4,033 Posts
    • 15,643 Thanks
    bigzippy
    Apologies now if my posts aren't making sense - I've noticed lately I think one word, and type another that rhymes with it (weird or what??) I do try and read my posts through a couple of times before hitting Send, but errors may still get through.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    I do the same thing. Or type words that start the same. Also if the word I'm starting starts with the same letter as the last of the word before then I tend to miss it out completely. Gets really frustrating doesn't it. I swear I have some kind of fibro-induced-dyslexia!

Would it be ok for me to join in. My life is a total mess my finances, my health and my house is a tip.

Up until 6 months ago I was fit, healthy, active, outgoing and independant. One night I went to bed and woke up 3 days later disabled and now I have severe depression and barely leave the house.
    My kids and support from my wonderful dh and GP keep me going but some days I just want to hide in a cave. I am in constant pain and am not sure where to turn.
    Originally posted by needing-help
    But of course! Welcome
    What kind of disablement are you suffering from NH? I know that feeling of wanting to hide in a cave...altho it would have to be warm (but not too warm ) and comfy and dry...with internet access too

Can i join the crocks club......i have been hanging around on the forums for a while but have never got round to reading this thread - its a real insight into everything thats going on - feel like i know you all a bit better now x
    Originally posted by sox8369
    Come one come all, the more the merrier! Fancy and introduction to the life of sox?

I'm trying to fight my way back up to floating on a lilo going nowhere fast, instead of feeling exhausted from "treading water" or, worse, feelinging like I'm sinking. My mood and feeling that "this too shall pass" had faded lately and I've been struggling, but I'm looking forward to the day I'm in a rowing boat with someone else rowing for a while, "messing about on the river"
    "I am indelibly stained by hope and longing" - Nuts in May
  • Careful with that Axe
    Just popping head in to say welcome to anyone new. Make yourself at home; we're all very friendly and supportive here.
    Just had some good news after initial 18 month wait for OT assessment for home aids, Social Services had me bumped up the list and they are coming on Thursday! Woo Hoo!

Only downside if that now I have to do some housework *g*
    I must go, I have lives to ruin and hearts to break

My attitude depends on my Latitude 49 55' 0" N 6 19' 60 W
  • sox8369
    I like this thread - its the only one that doesnt require a helmet and full body armour .......hehe
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 24th Jul 10, 7:57 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    Does anyone here use a neck pillow or similar? I need something so I don't turn on to my side at night, because it causes pain.

Thank you.
  • mickbhall
    Can i come in for a coffee a milky one with two sugars, and a chat.

Sh1305: Are you onabout the pillows you wpuld use on plance etc seen them in pound shop before.
  • jennihen
    SH1305 -I was thinking about a travel pillow my children use in the car. Its full of tiny beans and in the shape of a horseshoe . . .
    One life.
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 25th Jul 10, 12:14 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    SH1305 -I was thinking about a travel pillow my children use in the car. Its full of tiny beans and in the shape of a horseshoe . . .
    Originally posted by jennihen
    How suitable are these for sleeping with?
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 25th Jul 10, 12:37 PM
    • 10,969 Posts
    • 120,539 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I like this thread - its the only one that doesnt require a helmet and full body armour .......hehe
    Very true!

Welcome to the thread. Welcome also, needing_help and mickbhall.

Just finished my weekly trawl of planning applications for local CAMRA branch - looks like yet another pub is going to disappear, there's an application to turn it into 9 flats.

CwtA best of luck for Thursday. Now, get thee over to the Flylady thread and grab a list!

*waves* to everyone else - I think I hear an omelette calling my name, off for some lunch.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
  • sox8369
    Thanks for the welcome everyone - ok brief history of sox -

41, living in the south, marriage number 2 (traded in due to faulty first husband)..two kids, 18 and 12, 1 x old cat aged 15 (ahhhh bless) and 1 x crazy chocolate doberman pup (well he just 1 yr old now- totally flipping loopy and gorgeous).

Brief history of what i have had to deal with over the past 40 odd years (not all me, so are - some arent - but close experience of the following) alcoloholism, battered wife, diagnosis of 2 disabled children, ex trying to steal kids away, threats from bunny boilers, lung cancer, liver cancer, bipolar, ME, totally useless immune systems, deaths of family from cancer - some very young, dying on an A&E trolley - and coming back through sheer defiance, miscarriages etc etc....

So i have a bit of life experience - but good bits include - travelling to some beautiful places including monte carlo (in a helicopter...ooo err) rome, paris, new york, washington dc, egypt, barcelona - been 300 miles into the artic circle for a husky ride...awesome....have had brilliant career in the past....currently almost finished business and law degree, member of mensa, two amazing kids that deal with their conditions like superstars and i am very proud of them, and a husband with the patience of a saint.....

Brief intro to sox .....hope that helps give you an idea of me x x x
  • Careful with that Axe
    Thanks for the welcome everyone - ok brief history of sox -

41, living in the south, marriage number 2 (traded in due to faulty first husband)..two kids, 18 and 12, 1 x old cat aged 15 (ahhhh bless) and 1 x crazy chocolate doberman pup (well he just 1 yr old now- totally flipping loopy and gorgeous).

Brief history of what i have had to deal with over the past 40 odd years (not all me, so are - some arent - but close experience of the following) alcoloholism, battered wife, diagnosis of 2 disabled children, ex trying to steal kids away, threats from bunny boilers, lung cancer, liver cancer, bipolar, ME, totally useless immune systems, deaths of family from cancer - some very young, dying on an A&E trolley - and coming back through sheer defiance, miscarriages etc etc....

So i have a bit of life experience - but good bits include - travelling to some beautiful places including monte carlo (in a helicopter...ooo err) rome, paris, new york, washington dc, egypt, barcelona - been 300 miles into the artic circle for a husky ride...awesome....have had brilliant career in the past....currently almost finished business and law degree, member of mensa, two amazing kids that deal with their conditions like superstars and i am very proud of them, and a husband with the patience of a saint.....

Brief intro to sox .....hope that helps give you an idea of me x x x
    Flamin' Nora Sox, you've been though the mill!
    But had some good times too.

Being me, I briefly read that as a brief history of sex *g*
    There's always one!

• sox8369
    haha - that would have been a far more interesting post !!!!!!!!!!! x
  • Careful with that Axe
    Oh, I don't know - nurse asked me t'other day what I used for contraception and I reminded her it was cobwebs.

BTW I'm Auntie Axe and I have Lupus, MCTD and T-Cell Lymphoma. Twice divorced, no children, 47 and see nothing wrong with being a mad old cat lady despite only having one mad old cat *grin*

• Trialia
    Oh, I don't know - nurse asked me t'other day what I used for contraception and I reminded her it was cobwebs.
    Originally posted by Careful with that Axe
    *laughs* My answer to that question is always and only "Homosexuality." and a cheeky grin. One thing I do not have to worry about!

If we're doing the spoonie-introductions...

Hi, I'm Tria, I have hypermobility-type Ehlers-Danlos syndrome; fibromyalgia syndrome (the full thing, with nearly all its little friends); lumbar spinal neuropathic damage; rapid-cycling bipolar disorder (untyped); asthma; (lots of) migraines; Raynaud's syndrome; and mild Asperger's (inc. OCD features and trichotillomania), though I'm not sure if I count that last as an illness.

I'm 24, single, childfree but loving staff to a very pretty cat; gay, poly (and mostly asexual - don't ask for Ace 101, I don't feel like it! :P). Oh, and I'm also a recovering bulimic, a Unitarian, and a choirgirl. Among other things. I love building websites, reading, writing, and video gaming (usually roleplaying games).

My mother died of lymphoma when I was a fairly young teenager, and my father's an alcoholic (now in recovery). I don't fancy specifying everything on a public forum, but Sox, I can identify pretty well with a lot of the stuff on your list.
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
  • sox8369
    Yeah - left a few bits out that didnt need to be aired - and didnt want to bore you with my health conditions either -yawn !

The good news of the day is that i will be sitting on the beach in a few days and chilling out - just gotta find the strength, energy and enthusiasm to pack the cases.
  • Trialia
    Yeah - left a few bits out that didnt need to be aired - and didnt want to bore you with my health conditions either -yawn !

The good news of the day is that i will be sitting on the beach in a few days and chilling out - just gotta find the strength, energy and enthusiasm to pack the cases.
    Don't I know that feeling. Today's one of those days where I have to take morphine to be even remotely functional, but I need to be able to get my flat ready as I have a couchsurfer coming tomorrow - I am very glad I specify in my profile that I may not always be up for being active and so people who ask to stay 'get it'!
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 25th Jul 10, 5:36 PM
    • 62,931 Posts
    • 45,305 Thanks
    soolin
    As this thread is getting a little bit too long for ease of use I will close it and start a new one.

You can find it here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=35067649#post35067649
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,174Posts Today

6,417Users online

Martin's Twitter