Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kylestucon
    • By kylestucon 10th Aug 18, 9:39 AM
    • 68Posts
    • 3Thanks
    kylestucon
    Slander
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:39 AM
    Slander 10th Aug 18 at 9:39 AM
    Hi,
    Advice needed. I am a club Stewardess at a very small private social club with me employed full time and 3 part time staff. I have a problem with one of my staff and am unsure of how to approach it legally. He has been tell customers and a few committee members that I have been stealing from club which is totally untrue. We run a bonus ball ( numbers 1to 59 1 a number with prize paid out weekly) he is saying that I have been fiddling it by waiting until it has been drawn on the Saturday night and claiming it in my husbands name on the Sunday morning by saying that I have put my husbands name in a number that is spare. That is not the case as the treasurer had been using an old sheet which had hubbys name missing which I had filled in the treasurer has the master copy so knows this to be true so just says to ignore him but I want to take it further. My husband also ran a goalbuster competition which this staff member won he is now saying we both fiddled that as he was paid 100 short but that is not true. He has probably told half the club and I am worried that they will believe him. My union said he should be sent a letter to be up in front of committee and that it is slander and he could be sacked straight away for gross misconduct. I want to pull him about it first with a witness present but don't know if I could. I am mortified as half the club might think there is some truth in it.
Page 1
    • Dox
    • By Dox 10th Aug 18, 9:43 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Dox
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:43 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:43 AM
    You've had advice from your union and have decided to ignore it. Why would you follow 'advice' anyone gives here?

If you're that bothered (and I can see exactly why you would be), have a word with a solicitor, so that you can get advice based on all the facts.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 10th Aug 18, 9:50 AM
    • 2,133 Posts
    • 2,910 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:50 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:50 AM
    Hi am surprised you or your family are even allowed to enter any competitions or draws you run just to stop this sort of thing. There will always be suspicion if winner is linked to event.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Aug 18, 9:58 AM
    • 32,635 Posts
    • 19,636 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:58 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:58 AM
    He has been tell customers and a few committee members that I have been stealing from club
    How do you know?

What are the committee doing about it.

Reality is there is little you can do about what people think even getting the person sacked won't be changing it.

Most will be falling into one of two camps, just gossip or I always though there was something dodgy about that pair.
    • kylestucon
    • By kylestucon 10th Aug 18, 10:38 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    kylestucon
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:38 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:38 AM
    I don't run the bonus ball competition the committee run it for the club. My husband runs the goalbuster competition but doesn't enter it. I was only asking peoples opinion didn't say I was going to ignore what the union said was just asking for people's thoughts and any extra info they could provide!
    • kylestucon
    • By kylestucon 10th Aug 18, 10:42 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    kylestucon
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:42 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:42 AM
    I know because several people have told me. The staff member who accuses me has 7 numbers on this bonus ball competition which he pays himself ( doesn't give his money to other staff members or committee to mark off ) and I don't go around accusing him. No one is around to actually see if he is even paying his own money in.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 10th Aug 18, 10:43 AM
    • 5,043 Posts
    • 8,650 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:43 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:43 AM
    Put in a grievance. Or do it your own way, escalate things, and see if that can make it worse.

I would agree with the comment that I am surprised your and your family are allowed to enter into competitions - this is bound to give rise to speculation. There seems to be a fair amount of slipshod practice. If prize money was signed for when handed over, then there couldn't be allegations of it being short.
    • kylestucon
    • By kylestucon 10th Aug 18, 10:46 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    kylestucon
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:46 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:46 AM
    Thanks Dox,
    That is what I was considering doing, consulting a solicitor maybe just to send him a letter. I was just wondering should I be verbal and go around telling people it's not true and to go and see committee to confirm it, r should I not say anything. It is getting very hard for me to not say anything.
    • warby68
    • By warby68 10th Aug 18, 10:49 AM
    • 990 Posts
    • 9,786 Thanks
    warby68
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:49 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:49 AM
    Have you actually spoken to the person concerned?

You mention going 'legal' but surely a sharp word in the ear about not spreading lies about you is the first step. Same for your husband. Troublemakers often back down when called out.

And clean up and formalize any syndicates etc for avoidance of doubt -use 2 signatures etc. Surely its obvious if someone hasn't paid in (or out) what they should from the records and cash held?

You also say that this person is one of your staff. Do you have the power of hire of fire? I wouldn't tolerate someone working for me and spreading rumours about me.
    • kylestucon
    • By kylestucon 10th Aug 18, 10:49 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    kylestucon
    Me, my family, bar staff and all committee are allowed to enter competitions. The prize money wasn't short it was correct I don't run any of the lotteries or competitions.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 10th Aug 18, 10:53 AM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 2,957 Thanks
    Undervalued
    Thanks Dox,
    That is what I was considering doing, consulting a solicitor maybe just to send him a letter. I was just wondering should I be verbal and go around telling people it's not true and to go and see committee to confirm it, r should I not say anything. It is getting very hard for me to not say anything.
    Originally posted by kylestucon
    That can sometimes be effective.

The problem is if it isn't it has cost you a couple of hundred pounds and will cost a small fortune to proceed further. So unless you have significant resources think very carefully.

To some extent it depends on the personality and motivation of the person concerned. You will have some idea of that, we will have none.
    • kylestucon
    • By kylestucon 10th Aug 18, 10:56 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    kylestucon
    I am not ignoring unions advice was just asking if you's thought I could speak to him about it first or wether I should keep quiet until he receives letter as the committee will probably take week to get round to issuing him with letter.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 10th Aug 18, 11:02 AM
    • 5,043 Posts
    • 8,650 Thanks
    sangie595
    Me, my family, bar staff and all committee are allowed to enter competitions. The prize money wasn't short it was correct I don't run any of the lotteries or competitions.
    None of that was the commented point. The point was that in a well managed situation, none of this would be allowed to happen. It simply invites speculation that people in positions of trust are abusing them.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 10th Aug 18, 11:03 AM
    • 5,043 Posts
    • 8,650 Thanks
    sangie595
    I am not ignoring unions advice was just asking if you's thought I could speak to him about it first or wether I should keep quiet until he receives letter as the committee will probably take week to get round to issuing him with letter.
    I think it's fairly obvious that the answer to that is no.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Aug 18, 11:35 AM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 3,400 Thanks
    Comms69
    What exactly do you hope to achieve?

Name cleared? - just stop entering the draws
    Money? - I'm not sure you'll get much and it will probably cost a lot. (Consider that you would need to convince other people to give evidence to what he said; there's also the chances of misinterpretation)
    Getting him sacked? - Well that's not up to you.
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 10th Aug 18, 11:37 AM
    • 396 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Marcon
    But according to your post on another thread it was short: ' I have now found out he has been saying that we paid him over 100 short ( he was paid about 40 short which he was told about as some people hadn't payed and some had dropped out)'

There seem to be four choices here:
    • do nothing and ignore it
    • you take it up with the employee as a disciplinary matter (although I suspect you don't have a disciplinary procedure, in common with very many other small and informal outfits), preferably with the backing of the committee
    • you try the legal letter route
    • something else, based on your knowledge of the person concerned, your committee and (most importantly) how you could cope with each of the options.

They all have downsides and the decision needs to be reached in consultation with the committee, however unwilling they may be to become involved. This character obviously has a grievance and perhaps giving him the chance to air it formally might take some of the heat out of his simmering - or fan the flames. You know him, nobody here does.

Entirely agree with the other comments that employees and family members should steer well clear of any competition where there is any chance they could be accused of rigging the result, no matter how ill founded or improbable.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 10th Aug 18, 2:32 PM
    • 6,687 Posts
    • 8,728 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    No, don't speak to him first.

Raise it with your employer (the committee?) as a formal grievance. they can then investigate and if appropriate, discipline him, up to and including dismissing him if they consider it appropriate.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

902Posts Today

7,092Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin