Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 14th Mar 19, 10:16 PM
    • 2,229Posts
    • 818Thanks
    sevenhills
    Tesco Direct TV repair
    • 14th Mar 19, 10:16 PM
    Tesco Direct TV repair 14th Mar 19 at 10:16 PM
    I bought a Toshiba 43L3653DB 43 TV on August 29th 2017 from Tesco Direct. It is now starting to switch itself off.
    I assume Tesco Direct are still trading. The TV will be out of its 12 month initial 12 months manufacturers warranty, but only just.
    I believe consumers have rights beyond the 12 months. I understand its down to how long you would expect a TV to last.
    A TV lasting less than 2 years would mean it wasn't of merchandisable quality. Is that correct?
    I have sent them an email, I assume it only had a 12 month warranty, I have lost the paper booklet.
    Last edited by sevenhills; 15-03-2019 at 6:35 AM.

Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th Mar 19, 10:27 PM
    • 33,783 Posts
    • 21,278 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 14th Mar 19, 10:27 PM
    • 14th Mar 19, 10:27 PM
    I bought a Toshiba 43L3653DB 43 TV on August 29th 2017 from Tesco Direct. It is now starting to switch itself off.
    I assume Tesco Direct are still trading. The TV will be out of its 12 month initial 12 months manufacturers warranty, but only just.
    I believe consumers have rights beyond the 12 months. I understand its down to how long you would expect a TV to last.
    A TV lasting less than 2 years would mean it wasntof merchandisable quality. Is that correct?
    I have sent them an email, I assume it only had a 12 month warranty, I have lost the paper booklet.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Maybe a dodgy Google search engine but Tesco Direct closed last year.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 14th Mar 19, 10:31 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 14th Mar 19, 10:31 PM
    • 14th Mar 19, 10:31 PM
    Originally posted by DCFC79

The Tesco I collected it from is still open

• davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th Mar 19, 10:35 PM
    • 10,446 Posts
    • 11,430 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 14th Mar 19, 10:35 PM
    • 14th Mar 19, 10:35 PM
    They were just a brand of Tesco Stores Limited who, obviously, still exist. The fact they're no longer selling stuff as Tesco Direct doesn't affect the OP's rights.

But as the item is over six months old, the onus is now on the OP to prove that the fault was inherent at the time of sale.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 14th Mar 19, 10:39 PM
    • 3,174 Posts
    • 4,242 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 14th Mar 19, 10:39 PM
    • 14th Mar 19, 10:39 PM
    Commission an inspection and if that shows the fault was inherent, you have a case for a repair, replacement or partial refund, plus the cost of your inspection.
    • Rebster
    • By Rebster 15th Mar 19, 6:37 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    Rebster
    • 15th Mar 19, 6:37 AM
    • 15th Mar 19, 6:37 AM
    Did your issues start last night? If so this is a widespread problem with Toshiba TVs - there are lots on Twitter reporting the same issue since last night. If you disconnect your TV from the internet it should work ok but I'm expecting Toshiba to issue some kind of fix because something is clearly wrong when all of their TVs stop working at exactly the same time...
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 15th Mar 19, 6:40 AM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 15th Mar 19, 6:40 AM
    • 15th Mar 19, 6:40 AM
    Commission an inspection and if that shows the fault was inherent, you have a case for a repair, replacement or partial refund, plus the cost of your inspection.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck

If Tosheba dont help me to repair this TV I will certainly have a negative view of what was once a good brand.
    I don't consider a TV to be of merchandisable quality if it does not last 2 years. I do have a local TV repair shop, lets see how helpfull Tesco are.

• Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 15th Mar 19, 8:21 AM
    • 2,498 Posts
    • 1,461 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 15th Mar 19, 8:21 AM
    • 15th Mar 19, 8:21 AM
    If Tosheba dont help me to repair this TV I will certainly have a negative view of what was once a good brand.
    I don't consider a TV to be of merchandisable quality if it does not last 2 years. I do have a local TV repair shop, lets see how helpfull Tesco are.

Toshiba, don't make the TV's with their brand name anymore see their website is's clearly indicated their who does.
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 15th Mar 19, 8:41 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    • 15th Mar 19, 8:41 AM
    • 15th Mar 19, 8:41 AM
    I bought a Toshiba 43L3653DB 43 TV on August 29th 2017...The TV will be out of its 12 month initial 12 months manufacturers warranty, but only just.
    If by "only just" you mean seven months outside of its warranty, or over by an additional 60% then fine,..

Regardless, as others have said after the first six months the onus is on you to prove an inherent fault. But when seeing how nice Tesco are, don't go using words like "only just out of its guarantee period".
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 15th Mar 19, 10:41 AM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    sevenhills
    Did your issues start last night? If so this is a widespread problem with Toshiba TVs - there are lots on Twitter reporting the same issue since last night. If you disconnect your TV from the internet it should work ok but I'm expecting Toshiba to issue some kind of fix because something is clearly wrong when all of their TVs stop working at exactly the same time...
    Originally posted by Rebster

Thanks, I am not on twitter.

It has only just started, a software issue did cross my mind; I did try the old trick of unplugging, but that didnt work.

TVs used to last 10+ years, so a TV lasting less than 2 years is not acceptable to me. If its acceptable to Toshiba, then I will not buy that brand again.

• Bermonia
    • By Bermonia 15th Mar 19, 11:08 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    Bermonia
    If it is a software issue then a sotware update would hopefully be enough to rectify... simple fact is that the more we expect our TVs to do... the more there is to go wrong sadly.
    • stickgal
    • By stickgal 15th Mar 19, 2:11 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    stickgal
    I have the same issue but bought from Currys PC World.
    C/PCw have said this is an issue with last nights software update and Rebster is correct: Unplug from the internet and the TV should work as a 'TV' for a short term fix. They are expecting Toshiba to release another update within 48 hours.

However, the standard amount of time for a 'fix' could be 28 days?
    Additionally, the CS agent was unsure if this fault could be considered within the SAD FART rules for goods as they classify it to be under the 'software' rules of the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

See MSE: exchange/"]http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/[/URL]

I wait to see what happens.....

Its worth noting the agent also told me that many 'cheap' (his words, not mine) TVs including Bush, JVC have had the same issue with the same update.

I'm sorry I can't help with the Tesco Direct side of your query but maybe search out Toshiba's UK helpline if you get no joy with TD? By all accounts it seems to be a known fault.
    I personally would assume that the 'Reasonable amount of time' you allude to would sit with the manufacturer anyway as you are beyond the Stat 12 months?

The new act has me somewhat befuddled although I did manage to get a refund on a dealership used car by using it...
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 15th Mar 19, 5:27 PM
    • 11,606 Posts
    • 10,037 Thanks
    lincroft1710

TVs used to last 10+ years, so a TV lasting less than 2 years is not acceptable to me. If its acceptable to Toshiba, then I will not buy that brand again.
    3 yrs for many TVs is about the norm now
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 15th Mar 19, 6:28 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    sevenhills
    If it is a software issue then a sotware update would hopefully be enough to rectify... simple fact is that the more we expect our TVs to do... the more there is to go wrong sadly.
    Originally posted by Bermonia

This is from Tesco

Many thanks for your enquiry today. We are aware of the issue that was affecting Toshiba and Digihome TVís restarting/turning themselves off and on. This was not a fault with the TV but Freeview Play. We have been assured that the issue has been resolved and so you should no longer be experiencing the fault.

Of course, if there still is a persistent issue, please let us know.

My fault did not go to a black screen similar to when there is no signal, it seemed like the TV was switching on and starting agian. I will see what develops.

• jonnyd281
    • By jonnyd281 15th Mar 19, 8:46 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    jonnyd281
    Thanks, I am not on twitter.

It has only just started, a software issue did cross my mind; I did try the old trick of unplugging, but that didnt work.

Unfortunately unless people want to pay an absolute fortune for products, then some are always going to fail prematurely, there is a thing called a bathtub curve, it can be used to model failure, you get lots of failures early on (usually cleared by testing in the factory) then get some failures during the working life of the product (but relatively few), then the number of failures starts to increase as you get to the end of the working life of something. The chart (years against failures) looks like the cross section of a bath.

As things become more complex, the cost of making them more robust is going to increase.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 16th Mar 19, 8:25 AM
    • 33,783 Posts
    • 21,278 Thanks
    DCFC79
    They were just a brand of Tesco Stores Limited who, obviously, still exist. The fact they're no longer selling stuff as Tesco Direct doesn't affect the OP's rights.

But as the item is over six months old, the onus is now on the OP to prove that the fault was inherent at the time of sale.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    Re read my comment and you will see it was more a comment at the OP thinking TD were still trading.

Im quite aware it was just a brand of Tesco Stores Ltd who still exist.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 16th Mar 19, 8:40 AM
    • 10,446 Posts
    • 11,430 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Re read my comment and you will see it was more a comment at the OP thinking TD were still trading.

Im quite aware it was just a brand of Tesco Stores Ltd who still exist.
    Yes, but I assumed their comment was because they thought it would adversely affect their rights if they weren't still trading, so thought it best to clarify for them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,788Posts Today

8,677Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Should the contactless payment limit be increased? If so, to what? Pls vote in this week's MSE site poll... https://t.co/xpGaKlS5Mr

• No its completely wrong. Your contract is with the shop that you bought it off. The staff at o2 should be better? https://t.co/GXVXHvPkZv

• PLS SHARE - WARNING DO NOT USE VIAGOGO. A group of MPs have today echo'd my own warning about the secondary tick? https://t.co/ZUvKRq3MeS

• Follow Martin