Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 15th Mar 19, 1:14 AM
    • 1,784Posts
    • 20,232Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Friday 15th March 2019
    • 15th Mar 19, 1:14 AM
    Old Style Daily Friday 15th March 2019 15th Mar 19 at 1:14 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 15th Mar 19, 1:26 AM
    • 1,784 Posts
    • 20,232 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 15th Mar 19, 1:26 AM
    • 15th Mar 19, 1:26 AM
    Morning everyone

Thank you all for your good wishes for my appointments yesterday. Iíve got a firm date to start my radiotherapy sessions. Iíll have 15 then a further 5 targeted ones. The first one is 25th March. I got to say what time of day suits me best, and as I donít live too far from the hospital I have got them all booked in between 8.00 and 9.30am so that I can get in and out before they start to get behind. Hopefully this will be the end of the active treatment and I will be able to look forward and make plans for the summer.

Today Iím going out for coffee and a bit of people watching with a friend this morning, she sat and waited patiently with me at the hospital yesterday which was really kind of her.

Later on I want to get a bit of shopping. One of the supermarkets has got a couple of things I buy regularly on offer at the moment so I want to go and do a bit of stocking up.

Taff the surgeon appointment was for wound management and to check healing. Iím pleased that you got the Blue Badge you really do need it.

Nanny I was pleased to read that your dad behaved when you took him for his appointment.

Gers I hope that your mum is improving.

TA I hope that you enjoyed lunch, and managed to get everything you wanted in M&S.

AOD thatís a major change of hair style, very brave of you.

Nelski I hope that banana day wasnít too stressful.

Have a good a day everyone.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 15th Mar 19, 4:13 AM
    • 2,176 Posts
    • 27,339 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 15th Mar 19, 4:13 AM
    • 15th Mar 19, 4:13 AM
    Morning Hollyharvey and OL. I'm just sitting about drinking tea.

Holly, that sounds well planned - how often will it be?

Friday Tidy looms for later, washing just finished but have not looked at the forecast yet so it may or may not go on the line.

Thoughts are with those who are struggling for whatever reason.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 15th Mar 19, 5:17 AM
    • 4,485 Posts
    • 35,297 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 15th Mar 19, 5:17 AM
    • 15th Mar 19, 5:17 AM
    Morning HOLLY and other early birds. I had a restless night too but nothing new there. The wind and rain is still battering us, it gets a bit jading.

HOLLY glad you got your appointments booked at times to suit you. Sounds a well organised hospital. OL hope you find a bit of time to yourself amidst the family stresses.

I had a lovely day out with DB and SIL yesterday, The rain held off and we actually had some sun (along with the wind!) The usual little country run first - it was like a drive round the Lake District with all the flooded fields. Lunch was at the Abbey Tea Rooms at Bolton Abbey - SNOOZER the tea rooms are another for the recommended list! Extensive menu. specials and dessert boards and I was spoilt for choice. The food was delicious and it obviously has a good reputation as it was quite busy the whole time we were in. Then onwards to Skipton and M & S Food. Sadly they seem to have stopped selling a few of the things I was hoping to get. I got a few bits and also a lovely Cala Lily to give to SIL as a thank you for my lunch.

The DGDs are all still in their beds and as soon as they have been dispatched to school let the pleasure of the Friday Tidy begin. Then I have the annual boiler service booked for 'tween 12 and 6.00. You can bet he will arrive at 5.59!

The middle DGD is back after school for a couple of hours whilst youngest is practicing her dancing for tomorrow and eldest is at an after school club.

Have a good day all if you can and ((HUGS)) for all the poorlies, sad, worried or lonely, as well as absent friends. Take care all xx
    Last edited by TravellingAbuela; 15-03-2019 at 5:19 AM.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 15th Mar 19, 5:37 AM
    • 3,401 Posts
    • 47,665 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 15th Mar 19, 5:37 AM
    • 15th Mar 19, 5:37 AM
    Morning everyone

Hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one, and those who are looking after poorly people or are poorly themselves x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Light but still blustery here this morning.

DH and DS1 now getting ready for work, I'm showered, dressed and eating brekkie and drinking first cuppa of the day.

Spoke to DS2 last night he sounds settled and getting on ok.

Dinner last night was a naughty full english - but enjoyed by us all. Tonight something easy - don't know what yet.

Yesterday I didn't get as much done as I'd like as had notification that my new passport was on it's way and it's a signed for delivery - so I needed to stay downstairs so I could hear them knock, thought they had turned up but no just the old passport being shoved through the letterbox - so still waiting, hope it's going to be today as I paid for express signed for return.

So on to today -
    first thing I'll be heading to the SM to do the food shopping, need to get to grips with the cooking less - my shopping bill last week was less, cupboards still quite full as are freezers. Freezers don't have much meat in though, so need to address this over the coming weeks.

I'll then get to grips with some housework and I do need to do some ironing.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 15th Mar 19, 5:42 AM
    • 12,993 Posts
    • 47,925 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 15th Mar 19, 5:42 AM
    Good morning all

Holly good news about the times of the treatment ...there is a light at the end of the tunnel finally So glad as well that you have all these friends and family helping you out and taking you for cake all the time its great you have so much support

Getting really light now at 6am which I am so pleased about wont be long and even I will going to work in the light

Yesterday was better than normal ...maybe it's something in the air.

Today is MOT day and I wont lie I am a bit nervous about it. I'm normally confident but just like me my car is not as young as it used to be so you never know. I could do without any expensive surgery at the moment so I will be a nervous parent till the outcome

If I still have transport after I want to nip to M+S to get mum some pjs I doubt Ill get ones she will like but its worth a go. After that home and continuing that to do list that is still haunting me.

Work tonight so will eat early Got some chicken out so will have that with some garlic butter and potatoes.

Have a fun Friday everyone
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 15th Mar 19, 5:42 AM
    • 4,294 Posts
    • 53,568 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Morning All

Still wet and windy, can't believe I cut the grass a couple of weeks ago as the weather was so good, it's rained ever since!

Glad you have your appointments sorted Holly.
    Sounds like you had a lovely day TA, you deserve it.
    How's your DM Gers?

It's wear something red day at school for Comic Relief, I have my CR T shirt and some CR socks ready, I love a dress down day, feels like it's not work!

Happy Friday. Take care. XX
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 15th Mar 19, 5:58 AM
    • 615 Posts
    • 8,617 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 15th Mar 19, 5:58 AM
    • 15th Mar 19, 5:58 AM
    Good morning, and thanks Holly for starting. It's a nice morning here, hope it stays that way!!

Holly, I'm glad you've got your radiotherapy dates.
    I was able to choose times when I had it, and my appointments were between 8 am and 8.30,. we used to leave home early because of the traffic, and stay at the hospital till 9am, again till traffic had calmed down. We used to be home by 9.30 ready to start the day. My reasoning was the same as yours - the later the appointment, the more potential for running late. I hope it all goes well for you..

Ol, ah those labour pains - at least we don't have to go through all that any more!!

TA, glad your day went well.it all sounds lovely.

NMLC, you're busy as usual, try and get a minute for yourself

Nelski, hope your car will be ok - ours needed some work doing when it was MOT'd recently. Money just pours out of this house. Good luck.

Hope everyone has as good a day as they can

Take care folks
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 15th Mar 19, 6:19 AM
    • 812 Posts
    • 11,903 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 15th Mar 19, 6:19 AM
    • 15th Mar 19, 6:19 AM
    Good morning all

Thank you for starting us off Holly, pleased you have your appointments booked.

Gintot I will be thinking of Mr G on Monday

TA pleased you had a lovely day

Nelski, finger crossed for the MOT.

Poppy my thoughts are with you

Not much happening here, it's been sunny but the wind is so strong. Should do some housework today not sure if it will happen.

Take care all
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 15th Mar 19, 6:27 AM
    • 1,784 Posts
    • 20,232 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Holly good news about the times of the treatment ...there is a light at the end of the tunnel finally So glad as well that you have all these friends and family helping you out and taking you for cake all the time its great you have so much support
    Originally posted by Nelski
    I wish . It's the same two friends who are supporting me and taking me out when they can. I'm taking her out today for what she did for me yesterday.

Sadly my brother is only about on the weekends when my sister in law is out for the day. He doesn't even know the outcome of my appointments yesterday although he did know about them. His phone was turned off all day and he hasn't contacted me .

Holly, that sounds well planned - how often will it be?
    Originally posted by ancientofdays
    It is daily Monday to Friday, so I booked all of my taxis yesterday evening. They understand how important it will be that they turn up on time so hopefully it will go as well as planned.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 15th Mar 19, 6:59 AM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 34,993 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Good news on getting all your appointments lined up and ready to start the treatment Holly, hopefully your brother will have a good reason for being non-contactable.
    Glad you enjoyed your trip out TA

All is still blustery here, getting fed up with it now. I had blocked sinuses and a bad headache for most of yesterday so felt quite rough, oh well today is another day, have a lesson on Lu later so better be on top form as sheís always on her toes in the wind.

Thinking of all our poorlies and missing friends, have a good day folks x
    • Gers
    • By Gers 15th Mar 19, 6:59 AM
    • 7,314 Posts
    • 49,822 Thanks
    Gers
    Morning all.

DM was a little better yesterday. She was interested in watching TV for the first time since the accident. Her appetite is coming back too. I'm going to make up some salmon and cream cheese 'bites' for her and cook some cauliflower and broccoli for her.

Apart from that and visiting I don't have any plans for my day.

Happy Friday.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Mar 19, 7:19 AM
    • 2,539 Posts
    • 21,378 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning,

Happy Friday everyone.

Later this afternoon I have 5 boisterous, cheeky and probably slightly tipsy mates travelling down from Glasgow to stay with me for the weekend. I think I've prepared everything; breakfast (rolls), snacks, beers, spirits, mixers, blow up beds and I'm going to buy quilts after work. It'll be a heavy 48 hours and whilst I'm usually the sensible one, the lads have made the effort to come down and visit, taking days off work etc so I'll try and let myself relax a bit but still watch my spends.

My colleague in work promised me 3 weeks ago that he could provide me spare quilts as had 2 stored away. Anyway, last night I drove to collect them and he told me he doesn't have them, they're with a family member. Ok, no problem, I'll buy some today, but it's typical of this particular colleague and it's beginning to really get to me. We both do the same job but he spends 80% of his day on his phone. A nice guy away from work, in fact he's went over and above anyone else to help me settle, but his work ethic bothers me more than it should. Rant over.

Have a nice weekend everyone

OL - Happy birthday to your DD
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 15th Mar 19, 7:59 AM
    • 2,176 Posts
    • 27,339 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Nelski, if you google, you will find bananas in pyjamas pj costumes which might suit your mum.

*runs and hides*
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 15th Mar 19, 8:08 AM
    • 2,343 Posts
    • 25,450 Thanks
    snoozer
    Holly, I'm glad you got the radiotherapy sorted. We prefer the early appointments as well even though the morning traffic into Cambridge is a bit of a nightmare. We end up waiting for hours if we have a late morning or afternoon appointment.

TA, I'll add that to the list, we sometimes walk at Bolton Abbey in bad weather but the cost of parking puts us off a bit.

Fingers crossed for the MOT, Nelski.

I finally feel as if I'm over the horrible cold so need to fly around the house. Laura and Brian are coming tonight for the weekend - it's my birthday on Sunday. I can't believe it's a year since my 60th so much has happened since then. I still look back on the wonderful memories from last year's birthday, even though it snowed hard over the weekend.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 15th Mar 19, 8:41 AM
    • 10,079 Posts
    • 13,417 Thanks
    -taff
    Morning all!! Little prince definitely has an owner, unfortunately we still don't know where or how to contact them. He came in last night with the jingliest collar in the world, he really doesn't like it, but we couldn't take it off him.He's gone back out this morning, if he comes back again, I'll write a note on some fabric and tie it to his collar.
    Plans for today are borrow a presure washer from a friend [ front wall and paths need doing, there's also a bit right outside the back door that's been cobbled together with breeze blocks, and weeds grow up between them. There's no point in taking them up until we've resolved which way we're going with the back, so I want to blast the weeds out and salt the cracks.I really want to strighten them out but that's beyond me now.
    The bales are in the garden waiting to be used, the seeds are in the lean to waiting to sprout.
    I did a small tidy yesterday. sorted some papers, built a fire ready, did dishes, organised some pots outside,pottered quite slowly, but feel like I've actually done' something for a change even if I was out of puff when I finished. I've really enjoyed this month of no appointments so far, it's like a breather before the final push so to speak.
    Next month there is a plethroa of new books by favourite authors and a couple of films I want to watch so at least i won't be sitting being bored if appointmnts run late, I'll have many things to read

Holly glad it all went well, also glad you're quite near the hospital. So much easier to sort things out so they're over and done with to start with. Totally agree with you and snoozer [ I can't though unfortunately, much as I want to] - don't mention stocking up on one of the Brexit threads, there'll be uproar . How are you doing yourself snoozer? Enjoy your night out speky...get your hangover cure ready! HB to your BO OL [ ] AOD, enjoy your fridy-tidy, obviously cutting off your hair has increased your tease quotient - very funny it was too...Glad your mother's doing better Gers, and look after yourself too, you're no good knackered out..Hope your car passes it's hospital appointment Nelski, hope any surgery is minor..Fortifying thoughts for the weekend ahead topsy and melinda...
    Wotcha absentees

Not-for-the-fainthearted Friday!
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 15th Mar 19, 8:51 AM
    • 1,126 Posts
    • 14,108 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Morning all. Thanks for the good wishes for DH on Monday and handholding for me.

Still windy here. Like everyone else we are getting fed up with it now. Did the Friday tidy yesterday before the footcare lady came to trim our toenails. So not much planned for today except keeping DH's mind off his op.

HH sounds like you are organised for the next stage of your treatment. Best wishes. Gers hope your Mum enjoys her salmon bites.

Well hugs to all and thinking about poorlies, carers and worrieds. Have a good day folks.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • mehefin
    • By mehefin 15th Mar 19, 10:09 AM
    • 345 Posts
    • 2,582 Thanks
    mehefin
    Morning all from mehefinland
    Wind, rain, mud, more wind, more rain , even more mud. Bleurgh!!

Mares out at 8, back in 1030. Almost banging on the doors to be let in out of the weather. Looked like drowned rats too. Hardy Welsh Cobs-- my eye!

HHWell done getting early appointments. When Mrs M had her last bout or r/t we had earlies too to avoid M4 traffic around Cardiff. Sometimes we were there so early we would be greeting the staff as they came in to work!

Hugs and spoons to those in need - go and dry off (again) now
    Mehefin
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 15th Mar 19, 11:22 AM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 18,264 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello all
    We took DD to her hospital scan appointment this morning and then went for coffee and a sticky bun. DD had a full english as she hadn't had any breakfast. So all done for the moment, but now she has to wait for the next step to be sorted.
    I have put a load in the WM, with another one in waiting. There is no chance of it going on the whirly, there's too much wind and rain about .
    I think it will be TV / films this afternoon and then I shall be gaming later with Mr Fix It and the DGS . I'm just not feeling very houseworkish today.
    Tea tonight will be curry and rice and then the leftover strawberries and cream. I had to do my jeans belt up a notch too today, so the dieting is working .

Holly I'm glad you have a date for your radiotherapy. Take care of yourself xx
    Gers hope your DM goes from strength to strength. Please wish her well for me.
    Speky enjoy your weekend, but not too much
    Nelski good luck with the MOT. I hope it's the car you are talking about, not yourself
    Poppy thinking of you.

Right, off for a snack lunch and a chateau catch up !

Take care all and hugs to anyone who needs or wants one, or two.
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 15th Mar 19, 11:56 AM
    • 2,343 Posts
    • 25,450 Thanks
    snoozer
    taff- thanks, I'm feeling properly human for the first time in over a week. I've cleaned all three bathrooms, tidied the living room and made a start on the kitchen. Steve's been keeping it ticking over but there are crusty bits on lots of the handles - I don't know why he doesn't wash his hands before he grabs a handle!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

99Posts Today

1,821Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin