Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 4th Mar 19, 10:52 AM
    • 4,647Posts
    • 79,721Thanks
    Chrisv
    Slimming in to Spring - Slimming World support thread 2019
    • 4th Mar 19, 10:52 AM
    Slimming in to Spring - Slimming World support thread 2019 4th Mar 19 at 10:52 AM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you, go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list; so that's pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra choice and one Healthy Extra choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66049704&postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Not wanting something is as good as possessing it – Donald Horban
Page 10
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Mar 19, 2:25 PM
    • 63,254 Posts
    • 278,257 Thanks
    beanielou
    I went to my first weigh-in since December.... Unbelievably, I'm still at target which I'm over the moon at.

Back in the game now. Hopefully can maintain this going forward
    Originally posted by Stoke
    Great news Stoke
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • TheTalkingDead
    • By TheTalkingDead 14th Mar 19, 2:31 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    TheTalkingDead
    NEED HELP!

After not being able to find 5% lamb mince or turkey mince, I prefer lamb donner to others.

I did the minced beef one as a trial run, DISASTER it fell apart and was generally unpleasant and I followed the recipe to the T.

What did I do wrong.

I cooked the onions, then added them to the mix of herbs and spices and minced meat, I blitzed it in the blender, added it to a medium loaf tin and placed in the fridge over night. I removed it cooked it this afternoon, following the books instructions, it immediately fell appart when I removed it from the loaf tin to dish up on salad and it tasted rubbery and fell to bits.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by TheTalkingDead; 14-03-2019 at 6:34 PM.
    • TheTalkingDead
    • By TheTalkingDead 14th Mar 19, 2:45 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    TheTalkingDead
    Meant to reply to TTD:

I'm not sure how much more you have to lose but when you get to target, I'd relax and enjoy the 6 nations and then worry about any gain afterwards. As a target member I find provided I get back on plan when an event is over (birthday, holiday etc) then I can maintain.

Meanwhile what I'd do is save as many syns as I possibly could for a match day. I find it really easy to eat very low syn or syn free so I'd be starting matchday with about 100 syns! That's still probably not enough for 12 pints, crisps and a Chinese so you need to prioritise. Personally I'd prioritise the booze. First I'd try to put off drinking until half time. I'd have plenty of snacks available like chicken pieces or even a plate of SW chips. Then at Half Time I'd make an enormous stir fry (already prepped) with noodles and perhaps some sweet chilli sauce and then I'd enjoy the beer in the second half.

You may not lose that week but the 6 nations doesn't last that long so it would just mean taking a bit longer getting to target. Otherwise there's always alcohol free beer.

Cymru am Byth!!
    Originally posted by maman
    I haven't set my target yet, but I one of the people who cant save syn's and use them up on a single event, I always have massive gains when I do this, I can remember doing it on my first SW try and I lost 6 1/2 ilbs over 4 weeks then saved my syns for and event, then had a 7 1/2 gain when I went back the week after, it killed me to start over again, but managed to get down to 11st.1lb from 13st.9st, this time round put more on 14st. I tend not to put syns in main foods, I always hunt for syn free foods to eat with lots of speeds I did a market shop for fruit and veg on Tuesday, spend £40.00 on fruit alone and theres none left this afternoon as mainly me and my wife eat fruit salads and pick at fruits and vegies. I envy those who can save their syns, go out and not worry what they eat and then come back with a stay the same or little increase.

I want to get to at least 10st to 10st.5lb, but not set it yet.

Im trying this donner kebab recipe not worked out for me yet. If I can get that donner kebab recipe down and cooked right, i'll have that at half time, my wife is also going to help out (she usually goes over a friends house when I am watching the rugby at home) by keeping track of what I eat.

I was thinking of buying
    Heineken Lager, Alcohol Free (330ml bottle) 3½ syns.and having two with my kebab.
    • maman
    • By maman 14th Mar 19, 3:26 PM
    • 19,794 Posts
    • 118,361 Thanks
    maman
    Sorry but I've never tried making a kebab. Hopefully someone will be able to advise.

That's a shame about not being able to save syns. I can honestly say I really don't need/want them day to day so I'm glad saving works for me.

I was amused by this:

https://group.slimmingworld.co.uk/useful-features/st-patricks-day.aspx

So there's a few ideas for St Patrick's Day. Not sure if it'll be enough when they lose and want to drown their sorrows though! Guinness is 10 syns a pint!

Actually I've just realised that's about the same as a large glass of wine. But I couldn't drink 20 glasses of wine!
    • TheTalkingDead
    • By TheTalkingDead 14th Mar 19, 3:50 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    TheTalkingDead
    Sorry but I've never tried making a kebab. Hopefully someone will be able to advise.

That's a shame about not being able to save syns. I can honestly say I really don't need/want them day to day so I'm glad saving works for me.

I was amused by this:

https://group.slimmingworld.co.uk/useful-features/st-patricks-day.aspx

So there's a few ideas for St Patrick's Day. Not sure if it'll be enough when they lose and want to drown their sorrows though! Guinness is 10 syns a pint!

Actually I've just realised that's about the same as a large glass of wine. But I couldn't drink 20 glasses of wine!
    Originally posted by maman
    'Diolch yn fawr iawn'.

I like Guiness stew. I may give irish beef guiness stew a go in replacement of the kebab.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 14th Mar 19, 6:03 PM
    • 6,218 Posts
    • 45,819 Thanks
    joedenise
    I also couldn't drink pints but can easily drink a few glasss of wine or 3 or 4 spirits with diet mixer - usually G&T but sometimes rum & diet Jamaican ginger beer (don't like supermarket own brands - they just don't have the kick of the branded one!).

Denise
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Mar 19, 7:28 PM
    • 63,254 Posts
    • 278,257 Thanks
    beanielou
    1 1/2 off tonight.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • sarymclary
    • By sarymclary 14th Mar 19, 8:45 PM
    • 2,915 Posts
    • 8,922 Thanks
    sarymclary
    Nice one Beanie!

Well I'm sat here feeling so full after my dinner that I ate over 2 hours ago! Think I need to make my portion sizes smaller - but it was yummy, and I'd looked forward to it all day.

B - banana
    L - porridge HEB with water & splash of milk from HEA (rest in day's tea/coffee) sugar (1.5)
    Aldi skyr passion fruit yogurt (1.5)
    D - BGTY cumberland sausages (4), mash (2) baked beans & gravy (2)

Today is seriously lacking in speed. I had a stash of fruit to nibble on at work but had no time to eat it. I used up all the frozen veg the other night, so beans it was. Hey hoh, it could have been much worse, AND.... I originally had a packet of 95% meat sausages under the grill, but decided those smelled far too good to be good for me, so shoved the BGTY sausages under the grill from the freezer and decided I could have far more of those, with far less damage being caused. I actually thought to myself as I put them under the grill 'I'd rather have a chance of losing more weight than eating this rubbish'. That's a NSV in my book - yay! Had another NSV today too, as I was able to wear a size 16 dress that I love again, and I felt okay in it too. My 'big' coat now has more room in it too, as I can do the zip up easy as anything, and the sleeves have room in them too. It's all giving me the incentive to just stick with it, and definitely not cave in.
    One day the clocks will stop, and time won't mean a thing

Be nice to your children, they'll choose your care home
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 15th Mar 19, 5:30 AM
    • 2,236 Posts
    • 20,645 Thanks
    FrankieM
    I have had a terrible week so far.

Some of it is self sabotage (which seems to be my norm the 2nd or 3rd week back in) but some of it, as I realised yesterday, is because I'm going to a family birthday tonight and my ex is bringing his new girlfriend.

I don't want him back or anything, but I'm nervous as to how it could all go. Added to the fact that he did a bit of stirring, saying that I wouldn't go if she was going, so I'm unsure how he will be and so I'm a little anxious.

I've also not planned due to last weekend being busy so my eating/meals have not been organised.

I'm disappointed that so little throws me off, but it's also good to know my trigger points and what I need to do to be successful with my eating.

So, I'm going to sit down with my books and find some new things to eat (especially breakfast and lunch, which I eat at work) and get a proper meal plan written down.
    I'm going to also find some good 'grab & go' or 'easy to cook' free food to be able to put in my desk drawer at work.

Are mug shots etc still free?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
    • poundsinbucks
    • By poundsinbucks 15th Mar 19, 7:41 AM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 4,255 Thanks
    poundsinbucks
    FrankieM mugshots and muller lights have Syn values these days, depends on which flavours, starts at 0.5. Happy to look up if I am around.

Poundsinbucks x
    • maman
    • By maman 15th Mar 19, 12:33 PM
    • 19,794 Posts
    • 118,361 Thanks
    maman
    1 1/2 off tonight.
    Originally posted by beanielou

You're a dark horse beanie. Well done!

Today is seriously lacking in speed. I had a stash of fruit to nibble on at work but had no time to eat it. I used up all the frozen veg the other night, so beans it was. Hey hoh, it could have been much worse, AND.... I originally had a packet of 95% meat sausages under the grill, but decided those smelled far too good to be good for me, so shoved the BGTY sausages under the grill from the freezer and decided I could have far more of those, with far less damage being caused. I actually thought to myself as I put them under the grill 'I'd rather have a chance of losing more weight than eating this rubbish'. That's a NSV in my book - yay! Had another NSV today too, as I was able to wear a size 16 dress that I love again, and I felt okay in it too. My 'big' coat now has more room in it too, as I can do the zip up easy as anything, and the sleeves have room in them too. It's all giving me the incentive to just stick with it, and definitely not cave in.
    Originally posted by sarymclary

That's a great post sary. Thinking about your NSV with the clothes and telling yourself what it's worth using syns for are excellent for motivation.

Well done for choosing the low syn sausages (I'm having those tonight). Do you have much left in the freezer that's not SW friendly?

Frankie, probably the thing that pleased me most about losing weight is that I proved to myself that I'm in control. Whichever method we choose (although I think SW is the best and healthiest), all weightloss programmes need self control. It's your choice whether you go to the party, nothing to do with your ex. You make the decisions. If it was me, I'd go to that birthday with my head held high and think that next year you could be back again much slimmer. Hopefully it'll keep you from having too much beige buffet food. Great idea to do a plan. What sort of facilities do you have at work for lunch/breakfast?

Back on plan today. I had another good meal out last night. Prawn cocktail and lamb with mash and greens so syns mainly in the mayo and gravy (and wine).

I've done my meal plan for the week and will do my shop later. Even though it's on plan my menu still looks synful. My weekends always do. The syrup is almost all used up and I'm seriously thinking of either stopping it altogether or trying a sugar free one. Denise, which brand do you use and where do you buy it? I'm wondering whether a caramel one would be a bit like golden syrup?

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, HEB porage with HEA milk
    L: JP with veggie chilli and cottage cheese, beetroot
    D: sausage, mash, carrots, cauli, broccoli, cabbage, fried onions
    Syns: sausages 2, syrup 2.5, gravy 4?, weekend wine.
    • esmy
    • By esmy 15th Mar 19, 1:26 PM
    • 1,169 Posts
    • 4,846 Thanks
    esmy
    Afternoon everyone.

Well done to all the losers this week so far. Good to see you posting Stoke and well done at keeping within target.

Talkingdead, I've done the kebab with minced lamb and it worked really well. I couldn't find very low fat minced lamb either but I think the fat helps stick it together.If you have a 'proper' butcher locally could you ask them to mince some lean lamb for you? Will only a lamb kebab do? I made some chicken tikka kebabs yesterday which were lovely and syn free.

It's my one year anniversary of getting to target weight (Bubbs too I think??) and I'm surprised and delighted that I've only had a very minor (1/2lb) out of range week in that time. For any doubters, this really does work! Another small loss this week puts me within 1lb of target so back on track.

Have a good weekend all.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 15th Mar 19, 1:34 PM
    • 6,218 Posts
    • 45,819 Thanks
    joedenise
    Well done Beanie. That's a good loss - that's about the max I tend to lose (and then only if I've been absolutely 100% including not doing the sun bank thing!).

Last night didn't go to plan and I ended up with extra Syns with too many wines (only really had one small glass to spare synwise!); but one glass is never enough, LOL!

I use the Jordan's Skinny Syrup Maman. In fact I've just been to TK Maax to buy a couple of different flavours. I've now got the S'Mores (which is the one that's nearly empty! Salted Caramel and Glazed Donut. They are £3.99 a bottle. Don't know of anywhere else that stocks them and it's quite a journey to the nearest one to me so have to combine it with needing to go to that area for something else! There is quite a big range of flavours available. They might be available online but I haven't actually checked as a bottle lasts quite a long time.

Today's plan:

B - lardons, onion, pepper, mushroom omelette
    L - jacket potato with FF cottage cheese; lettuce, cucumber, tomato, beetroot, pickled onions, HM syn free red onion chutney & cornichons
    D - corned beef hash (not sure how many syns for the corned beef as I bought it in France but didn't actually use it so will need to use the online estimate). Looking forward to it as it's something we've not had for quite some time.
    • maman
    • By maman 15th Mar 19, 1:55 PM
    • 19,794 Posts
    • 118,361 Thanks
    maman
    Congratulations on your anniversary esmy

Thanks for that Denise . I have a couple of TKMaxx branches here so I'll take a look.

Which recipe do you use for corned beef hash? I love it too.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 15th Mar 19, 4:25 PM
    • 6,218 Posts
    • 45,819 Thanks
    joedenise
    Don't know what happened to the post I did and thought I'd posted! Try again!

I'm using a new recipe tonight from the slimming eats website - www.slimmingeats.com

I've prepped the potatoes ready for when I start making the hash. Will serve it with a fried egg & beans. Will let you know if I prefer it or my normal recipe which has the beans stirred into it (I think I'll prefer them tonight as I just think having the beans in the hash looks a mess! but that's how DH likes it).

Denise
    • maman
    • By maman 15th Mar 19, 4:41 PM
    • 19,794 Posts
    • 118,361 Thanks
    maman
    That looks really nice denise although my DH doesn't eat eggs so I'm more likely to serve something green on the side.

I tend to prep my corned beef hash in advance and then bake it when I'm ready. I adapt this recipe, substituting a splash of milk for the cream and adding extra veg like mushrooms and courgettes.
    https://theenglishkitchen.blogspot.com/2010/09/baked-corned-beef-hash.html

I try to buy the smaller, low fat tins of corned beef in Morrisons when I can (no pun intended) but they didn't have any last time I was there. Otherwise I try to scrape as much fat as possible off a normal tin (helps to put it in the fridge first).

I think we might have that again soon as now I know I'm in target I can relax a bit.
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 15th Mar 19, 5:16 PM
    • 2,236 Posts
    • 20,645 Thanks
    FrankieM
    I was sad to hear muller lights now had syns but it gets me back to 'proper' food, which is no bad thing.

maman you're completely right, and after tonight there are at least 3 months before I may see him at another family event. By then I will have other coping mechanisms in place.

I have a microwave at work and a fridge, so good facilities...I just easily get into a rut.

Control is definitely the name of the game
    • Matron Midge
    • By Matron Midge 15th Mar 19, 5:37 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 4,667 Thanks
    Matron Midge
    -1LB for this morning. Really happy with that and top of target range is back in sight
    We had friends to stay last weekend which hampered my plans a bit as I did rather over indulge in the gin department and this weekend we are having friends over for dinner. I'm going to make moussaka and a Greek salad. There will be crusty bread and olives for those that wNt them and I have loads of blueberries and raspberries to serve as pudd with some low far creme fraich or icecream. I will be trying very hard to behave myself as I soooo want to be back at target!
    Have a lovely weekend everyone xx
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 15th Mar 19, 5:40 PM
    • 6,218 Posts
    • 45,819 Thanks
    joedenise
    Maman we found the hash a bit on the dry side. I like the look of the one you've linked to. Will have to try that one next time!

I always put my corned beef in the fridge so any fat goes hard and makes it easier to scrape off. I was really impressed with the tin I bought from France as it was extremely lean with very little fat on it and cheaper than buying it here in the UK. Think I'm going to syn it as the lean stuff.

FrankieM - as you've got a microwave & fridge at work you can have virtually anything for your lunch. How about making extra of your dinner and taking it to work the next day and just reheat in the microwave. Soups are another idea. I always make big batches of various soups and freeze in portions for 2 of us as we're retired so eat lunch at home. But when I was working used to freeze in single portions.

Jacket potatoes are another good option for work. You can pre cook a batch and freeze individually and just take one with you and pop into the microwave to reheat. You could take beans to reheat to put on it or cottage cheese, tuna mayo etc for cold topping.

Enjoy the party tonight and don't worry about your ex. You are going to a family event after all.

Well done on the loss MM. You'll soon get back into target range now it's in sight.

Denise
    Last edited by joedenise; 15-03-2019 at 5:43 PM.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 15th Mar 19, 7:44 PM
    • 55,255 Posts
    • 641,734 Thanks
    bubbs
    Evening all
    Well done to all the losers
    My year at target is the week after next i think andi am proud to say never been out of target range and only been in the higher bubble once ,I always been at my target or below
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500 £770 for 2018
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :- 5 st
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

108Posts Today

1,743Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin