Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 1st Jan 19, 2:36 PM
    • 10,540Posts
    • 54,167Thanks
    Mooloo
    I will cut my coat according to my cloth. Mooloo 2019
    • 1st Jan 19, 2:36 PM
    I will cut my coat according to my cloth. Mooloo 2019 1st Jan 19 at 2:36 PM
    As I am a Seamstress, and this year is about my sorting out my life and changing my direction, finally loosing the family debts etc perhaps the title is the most apt I can come up with this year.
    Here is to 2019 and a frugal year to change my direction so that I can rebuild my dreams in the next year.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 21
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 14th Mar 19, 8:48 PM
    • 10,540 Posts
    • 54,167 Thanks
    Mooloo
    This evening I up cycled a denim jacket. Had fun changing the collar, cuffs, and centre back panel and two front sections. But I didn't time muse. I also worked on an in finished bag that was in the donated to me stuff. Tomorrow I will look for something to line it to be able to finish it.

Wonder what I will rustle up tomorrow.
    Maybe some of the aprons after all.
    I have some lovely embroidered panels that were once destined to be cushions, but I am wondering if I could possibly turn them in to panels on a coat? There was also a lot of denim panels, so I am thinking hard about how to make them into clothes rather than cushions.
    But enough for Tonight.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 14th Mar 19, 8:49 PM
    • 2,803 Posts
    • 26,121 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Well done on the online sales. The universe seems to have your back now with the gifted fabrics and the possibility of getting back into upcycling and revamping and enjoying being creative .

If you're cutting down on the wine it's worth noting if you have less stomach problems as a result .
    Aprons still sell well in this area . They became very popular a few years ago in the retro/vintage home trend and with other retro items still sell well .
    Wishing you a good day tomorrow.
    pollyx

Just noticed your post above . I found floaty summer maxi skirts were always popular . You could use lacy fabrics or embroidered pieces depending on skirt fabric weight to add applique . I've also got a couple of coats with patterned collar and cuff edgings which make them individual .
    Last edited by pollyanna 26; 14-03-2019 at 8:56 PM.
    • vandanfc
    • By vandanfc 14th Mar 19, 8:52 PM
    • 1,898 Posts
    • 5,678 Thanks
    vandanfc
    Do people actually buy aprons anymore?
    Originally posted by Mooloo
    Looks like it. I checked Etsy and over 7000 items listed.
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/search/handmade?q=aprons&explicit=1&locationQuery=2635167
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 14th Mar 19, 10:15 PM
    • 39,805 Posts
    • 37,045 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Do people actually buy aprons anymore?
    My late mother always wore an apron around the house, reckoned it kept her clothes clean. and I did a cookery course the other day and we were all given aprons to wear and I could see how sensible it was.

I just never think to put one of Mum's aprons on when I'm cooking at home ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 15th Mar 19, 12:34 AM
    • 27,364 Posts
    • 116,354 Thanks
    candygirl
    My late mother always wore an apron around the house, reckoned it kept her clothes clean. and I did a cookery course the other day and we were all given aprons to wear and I could see how sensible it was.

I just never think to put one of Mum's aprons on when I'm cooking at home ...
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    my Nan always wore an overall, on top of her clothes.Not sure if it's a Northern thing though
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • hb2
    • By hb2 15th Mar 19, 3:16 AM
    • 352 Posts
    • 1,061 Thanks
    hb2
    my Nan always wore an overall, on top of her clothes.Not sure if it's a Northern thing though
    Originally posted by candygirl
    I don't remember ever seeing that, although I am a Midlander, not Northern.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 15th Mar 19, 5:19 AM
    • 10,540 Posts
    • 54,167 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I don't remember ever seeing that, although I am a Midlander, not Northern.
    Originally posted by hb2
    Yes my granny from Youkshire always had an overall or a tabard with pockets in the front for her hankie, etc etc

I have been awake for an hour with so much going on in my head. I had dreamt that I was opening a new premises, and woke up so disoriented thinking god I have gone and over committed myself trying to open another place. Took me quite a while to realise it was a dream.

I am giving up trying to get back to sleep now.
    Perhaps I will go and make something up, and see what I can do in the next hour instead of flicking through Facebook or Pinterest etc.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 15th Mar 19, 8:51 AM
    • 10,077 Posts
    • 13,388 Thanks
    -taff

Mine too, in Wales. Like a cross body tied wrap type apron, I have one of my other nan's [in Italy] very similar wraps upstairs.
    • supermezzo
    • By supermezzo 15th Mar 19, 8:55 AM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 1,174 Thanks
    supermezzo
    My gran always wore a pinny, too. Very often, in fact, wore it outside the house as she forgot she had it on and got the bus to the shops, visit friends etc. Always a source of great amusement when she turned up wearing it (and on occasion, her slippers too). :-0 I have vague recollections of us having matching aprons, though, so making a set up of one adult and a matching smaller one would be great Mum's day presents...

As an aside (and a tad ahead of time, granted) what about using the remnants to make pencil cases as end of term presents for teachers?
    It aint over til I've done singing....
    • hb2
    • By hb2 15th Mar 19, 11:38 AM
    • 352 Posts
    • 1,061 Thanks
    hb2
    Mooloo, I also had some very strange dreams last night and had to remind myself vert firmly that they were only dreams!

Talking about aprons, I somehow got it into my head that people were wearing them over their outdoor clothes I have, of course, seem lot of women wearing aprons!
    • ognum
    • By ognum 15th Mar 19, 12:15 PM
    • 4,716 Posts
    • 7,693 Thanks
    ognum
    Aprons for little children are popular for cooking and craft. So are coveralls to keep them fully protected.

I have an apron, I asked for it as a present last Christmas.

Could you consider personalised pinnys
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Mar 19, 1:40 PM
    • 5,978 Posts
    • 28,093 Thanks
    Slinky

Could you consider personalised pinnys
    Originally posted by ognum

We've visited several places in Italy where there looks like the equivalent of the UK's 'one in every tourist town, Edinburgh Woollen Mill' shop, only there it's personalised pinnys and linens.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 15th Mar 19, 2:46 PM
    • 10,563 Posts
    • 128,201 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Do you watch masterchef BBC1?

They all have aprons to wear as does great British bake off.

BBQ season is coming up, aprons are great to keep fat etc off clothes.

Love the idea of a large one and a small one.

Thinking out side the box a bit, but are there any up market type resturants/ bakeries / etc in your area that do cookery classes (adults and kids)? there could be an outlet there for your items.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on! - 23 and counting
    I can do this, I will do this...
    • supermezzo
    • By supermezzo 15th Mar 19, 3:07 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 1,174 Thanks
    supermezzo
    Forgive me, Mooloo, I have my 'work' head on.
    Given you are looking to use remnants and upcycle etc, what about making things for kids, I'm thinking specifically dolls house bedding, towels, cushions, curtains etc. Uses up material 'scraps' and although a tad fiddly, may be less strain on your arms and shoulders.
    It aint over til I've done singing....
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 15th Mar 19, 5:04 PM
    • 10,540 Posts
    • 54,167 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I will make what's been cut out first, and then keep on sewing and see what I can do.
    This morning I did two pegbags and two cushion covers. One was a tapestry of a rose, beautiful work that deserves a new home, and another machine embroidery that I have backed.
    I now need to get going on decent photos and get them up for sale. It would be good to find a market for them. I think once I am not tied down to the shop I will be able to visit places to tout for business.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 15th Mar 19, 6:23 PM
    • 39,805 Posts
    • 37,045 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Oh no, my mum was definitely not Northern!!!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Mar 19, 10:34 AM
    • 10,540 Posts
    • 54,167 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I am babysitting the boys tonight. The spare room has been sorted ( to a degree!), cot and bed ready.
    It will be good to see them as I haven't seen much of them since they went home.
    I have been invited to another case conference soon. So not all cut and dried.
    My DS is finally admitting the Domestic Abuse she is subjecting him too, and has decided that he needs to seek help.
    I think that he will find it easier knowing he can get support.
    I hope that he and the boys will be able to move on eventually.
    But I won't hold my breath yet.
    I have offered a refuge if she starts again and he has been advised to take the children and leave the premises if she starts again. So I will leave the bed and cot up, and he has a key so he can escape here anytime of the day or night.
    We will deal with what ever we have to deal with.
    EE I will message you separately over the weekend as there is something that I need your expertise on.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 16th Mar 19, 12:20 PM
    • 27,364 Posts
    • 116,354 Thanks
    candygirl
    Oh no, my mum was definitely not Northern!!!
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    Perish the thought eh
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 16th Mar 19, 1:03 PM
    • 4,577 Posts
    • 27,149 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    EE I will message you separately over the weekend as there is something that I need your expertise on.
    Always happy to help
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Mar 19, 3:19 PM
    • 10,540 Posts
    • 54,167 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Home after a strange day at work. One of my students is way off track today. She is struggling to produce any good work at the moment.the other is romping ahead.
    I started the dotty dresses and the chap came in while I was doing them. Would have taken what I had not quite finished if I wasn't looking.
    I have brought some unpicking home to do if I get the opportunity but family is due anytime soon so not sure if I will or if I will have the energy. I am incredibly tired today with being awake and sewing so early yesterday.
    Simple Pizza for the children as it's easy (but not exactly healthy!) and a ready meal curry for me.
    And I resisted buying any wine, because I expect interruptions in the night.

Cup of tea time!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,435Posts Today

6,139Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The maths is wrong. Even if MPs weren't given a penny by the state in salary or expenses, it'd save a trivial count? https://t.co/Kgskcjd6eG

• What an utterly depressing watch this is. I think the MP handles it as well as possible. Good on him for not just t? https://t.co/LrSY56HbPA

• RT @Caitch22: @MartinSLewis Maybe the cheap housing, final salary scheme generation that want to tax the young should pay for their own car?

• Follow Martin