Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • daniesto
    • By daniesto 14th Mar 19, 1:08 PM
    • 45Posts
    • 4Thanks
    daniesto
    Meter to Smart Meter
    • 14th Mar 19, 1:08 PM
    Meter to Smart Meter 14th Mar 19 at 1:08 PM
    Hi,
    I have been asked by Thames Water if I wanted to upgrade from Meter to Smart Meter. I am already metered and going to smart meter won't be much of difference?

Anyone had any issues with Thames Water smart meters?

Thanks
Page 1
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 14th Mar 19, 3:14 PM
    • 4,295 Posts
    • 2,722 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 14th Mar 19, 3:14 PM
    • 14th Mar 19, 3:14 PM
    It just means that they will be able to read it remotely by driving past your house or even transmitting the reading back to HQ rather than getting out, opening the access point and squinting into it.

Hopefully it will be less prone to mistakes and depending where your meter is located you wont have someone tramping all over your flower beds.

It's unlikely to taint your water, fry your brain or even tell criminals that you are on holiday or watching TV. You may even get more accurate bills as there shouldn't be any estimated ones for the times when they are late or don't come and read it.

I cannot think of a single valid reason for not having one fitted
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • daniesto
    • By daniesto 14th Mar 19, 10:17 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    daniesto
    • 14th Mar 19, 10:17 PM
    • 14th Mar 19, 10:17 PM
    Excellent. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I was concerned about anyone tampering with it but it seems fairly safe. ����
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 14th Mar 19, 11:47 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    • 14th Mar 19, 11:47 PM
    • 14th Mar 19, 11:47 PM
    Makes me laugh about estimated bills. United Utilities only take my smart meter readings twice a year. I have to manually give them readings, to ensure I am paying the correct amount.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 15th Mar 19, 9:00 AM
    • 4,295 Posts
    • 2,722 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 15th Mar 19, 9:00 AM
    • 15th Mar 19, 9:00 AM
    Makes me laugh about estimated bills. United Utilities only take my smart meter readings twice a year. I have to manually give them readings, to ensure I am paying the correct amount.
    Originally posted by PennineAcute
    Perhaps Thames Water do it differently to the way UU do it, so it would be hard to make a comparison.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,058Posts Today

6,408Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @CityPoliceTell2: @MartinSLewis Really good that @MartinSLewis is being socially responsible in reminding people not to share their pers?

• Has anyone received a PPI payment recently - if so pls could you tweet me a photo of your payout statement - there'? https://t.co/6TEC6FxHIN

• RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

• Follow Martin