Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 14th Mar 19, 8:35 AM
    • 646Posts
    • 121Thanks
    justaquestion
    Stopping Malwarebytes starting with windows 10.
    • 14th Mar 19, 8:35 AM
    Stopping Malwarebytes starting with windows 10. 14th Mar 19 at 8:35 AM
    Hello folks,

As the title says how do I stop Malwarebytes starting with WIndows 10, doesn't seem to be anything in its settings or even in Startup in the taskbar or windows?

Thanks for any info.
Page 1
    • dogmaryxx
    • By dogmaryxx 14th Mar 19, 9:05 AM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 2,582 Thanks
    dogmaryxx
    • 14th Mar 19, 9:05 AM
    • 14th Mar 19, 9:05 AM
    Under protection in Malwarebytes Pro
    • molerat
    • By molerat 14th Mar 19, 9:06 AM
    • 20,651 Posts
    • 14,911 Thanks
    molerat
    • 14th Mar 19, 9:06 AM
    • 14th Mar 19, 9:06 AM
    Settings - Protection - Startup Options
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • techquest
    • By techquest 14th Mar 19, 9:07 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    techquest
    • 14th Mar 19, 9:07 AM
    • 14th Mar 19, 9:07 AM
    Type task manger in search

or

ctrl+alt+del tabs together and select task manager.

Startup Tab - highlight Malwarebytes

Click Disable (bottom left)

That should be it done.
    • Chino
    • By Chino 14th Mar 19, 11:31 AM
    • 892 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    Chino
    • 14th Mar 19, 11:31 AM
    • 14th Mar 19, 11:31 AM
    Type task manger in search
    Originally posted by techquest
    If you're going to do this you might as well type "startup" and get there directly.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 14th Mar 19, 11:33 AM
    • 6,918 Posts
    • 6,834 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 14th Mar 19, 11:33 AM
    • 14th Mar 19, 11:33 AM
    The how has been answered ... now the question is why? If you have the version with active protection, why wouldn't you want it to, erm, protect you? If you don't want active protection, uninstall it and install the free version.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 14th Mar 19, 12:07 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    justaquestion
    • 14th Mar 19, 12:07 PM
    • 14th Mar 19, 12:07 PM
    The how has been answered ... now the question is why? If you have the version with active protection, why wouldn't you want it to, erm, protect you? If you don't want active protection, uninstall it and install the free version.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Thanks a lot for replies. I would like to try disabling Malwarebytes at start up mainly because windows 10 seems to be freezing when starting and I do have Avast and Zone alarm firewall starting as well so trying to isolate the problem, as the free trial just started a few days ago.

Have tried the suggestions which I thank you for but Malwarebytes still icon still appearing at bottom right side of taskbar when windows starts so seems its difficult to disable.

Going to try an earlier image of Acronis I have.

Thanks to all.
    • techquest
    • By techquest 14th Mar 19, 2:24 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    techquest
    • 14th Mar 19, 2:24 PM
    • 14th Mar 19, 2:24 PM
    You really shouldn't have more than one AV running on your machine at any time, they will clash with each other and slow your machine down. Do you also have Microsoft's AV running as well?

I also assume you mean the taskbar at bottom of window, different from Task Manager. Run Task Manager as Administrator, Click Startup Tab, if Malwarebytes is in there then disable it.

You can also see which processes are running on startup by typing Startup in search bar bottom left of windows. This will list all that are starting at boot, you can disable stuff from there by clicking on the slider switches.
    Last edited by techquest; 14-03-2019 at 2:30 PM.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 14th Mar 19, 3:26 PM
    • 4,267 Posts
    • 3,752 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 14th Mar 19, 3:26 PM
    • 14th Mar 19, 3:26 PM
    Malwarebytes isnt an AV and can be run in tandem with any AV just fine.

Also, windows defender wont be running at the same time as Avast

OP, i think you are missing the massive elephant in the room here .. Just remove Avast and zone alarm (why do you want a 3rd party firewall ??) and have done with it .. Your problem is almost certainly that.

Malwarebytes is no resource hog and there is no problem leaving it autostarting
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 14th Mar 19, 4:02 PM
    • 6,918 Posts
    • 6,834 Thanks
    DoaM
    Malwarebytes is no resource hog and there is no problem leaving it autostarting
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Agreed. I have MBAM Corporate Edition and I don't notice any performance hit at all. (AV is built-in Windows Defender).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • techquest
    • By techquest 14th Mar 19, 4:25 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    techquest
    Nobody said Malwarebytes is AV, it's clearly a malware detector, and agree it's no resource hog. Yes your correct on windows defender not running in parallel with avast, avast turns it off in favour of it's self. Avast and zone alarm together is a no no and as suggested earlier, it could simply be that causing the ops problem, or at least adding to it. As for microsoft's own AV, it's not always flavour of the month by any means, not the top rated, seem to recall it came 7th in the list, behind kaspersky and the likes.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 14th Mar 19, 4:51 PM
    • 4,109 Posts
    • 1,979 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Have tried the suggestions which I thank you for but Malwarebytes still icon still appearing at bottom right side of taskbar when windows starts so seems its difficult to disable.
    Originally posted by justaquestion
    Right-mouse-click icon, left-mouse-click "Start wth Windows" to untick it.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Mar 19, 10:18 PM
    • 29,023 Posts
    • 11,892 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    I dumped avast a long time back. Got bloated.

Use the windows 10 built in protection now and nothing else. Its getting better also. Keeps finding my secret stash of infected files.

I want the AV to do nothing but detect dodgy files, I want the AV to stop unwanted in/out data transfer and nothing else.

They just got bloated and added protection for things that i did nto need and the install size and resources just increased also.

I have an old AVG install file its 6MB... last time i remember downloading AVG it was over 100MB.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

121Posts Today

1,431Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin