Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 6th Mar 19, 2:54 PM
    • 646Posts
    • 121Thanks
    justaquestion
    To buy A Grant condensing oil burner or not?
    • 6th Mar 19, 2:54 PM
    To buy A Grant condensing oil burner or not? 6th Mar 19 at 2:54 PM
    Hi folks,

I have an old cast iron oil boiler (boiler house) and burner part is probably 18-20 years old, all working fine, in fact in the past service guys used to remark on the cast iron boiler unit saying hot good it was.

The guy that services it now says that it is over 90% efficient but I would save on oil if changing to something such as a Grant condenser unit.

I know that I would get 400 of a boiler grant towards the cost but the price would still be around 1400 + the grant about 1800 in total.

Just wondering has anyone else being in same dilemma with a good working at the moment unit, but still bought the new condensing type?

At the moment I probably use about 2000 litres of oil a year.
    have you saved on oil etc, how reliable is the new unit.

Thanks for any advice.
Page 1
    • guiriman
    • By guiriman 7th Mar 19, 8:54 AM
    • 432 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    guiriman
    • 7th Mar 19, 8:54 AM
    • 7th Mar 19, 8:54 AM
    On simple numbers you're using just north of 900 of oil per year at the minute (based on current prices). Let's say your new boiler will last 14 years (to make it simple), so you need to save 100 a year to break-even. That's 11% less oil used so you can compare that with how much more efficient it's going to be.
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 9th Mar 19, 8:05 AM
    • 4,368 Posts
    • 3,804 Thanks
    Old Git
    • 9th Mar 19, 8:05 AM
    • 9th Mar 19, 8:05 AM
    Last week I got a new condensing boiler .My old boiler was installed in 1991 .
    I did price around .One plumber recommended the Grant boiler four plumbers recommended the warmflow boiler .Apparently warnflow have improved their spec on the production line and include a 7 year warranty.
    For comparison my boiler cost 1500 including 50 for a tiger loop.The Grant (when paid )will bring this down to 1100.
    Last edited by Old Git; 09-03-2019 at 8:18 AM.
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
    • Streamside
    • By Streamside 14th Mar 19, 8:37 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Streamside
    • 14th Mar 19, 8:37 PM
    • 14th Mar 19, 8:37 PM
    The condenser burners seem to require meticulous servicing in comparison with the older burners.I had a grant one installed as part of a house extension and it literally blew itself to pieces after about 4 years. The builder had gone out of business and his plumber didn't want to know. New plumber suggested that a 2nd hand circulating pump may have been used, burner wasn't adequate for the 24 radiators and replaced it with a v large warmflow burner.Meanwhile my ancient original burner which we'd used for 20 years was used as spares for two local community halls.
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 15th Mar 19, 3:59 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    justaquestion
    • 15th Mar 19, 3:59 PM
    • 15th Mar 19, 3:59 PM
    Thanks a lot for replies. Think I will just live with the present setup as its working fine, old boiler unit is at least 30 years old, made of cast iron, service guys used to admire it years ago saying it was good, but nowadays they seem to be pushing the condensing kind.

Burner part is going on for 20 years, I think I will just forget about the grant, not a good enough reason to buy a new condesning unit, as it does seem they need more servicing and the condensing pipe I believe can freeze over making it stop working in cold weather.
    • Ticked
    • By Ticked 18th Mar 19, 11:03 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    Ticked
    • 18th Mar 19, 11:03 AM
    • 18th Mar 19, 11:03 AM
    I’m not an expert in boilers, but 50 years in engineering and maintaining my and friends boilers points to Worcester Bosch being an excellent unit. Also, the quality of the burner is very important, there are some really shoddy burners on the market. Swedish made ones seem excellent, Nuway ok, but the cheapie Italian ones - run away!
    • Spotty100
    • By Spotty100 18th Mar 19, 4:52 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Spotty100
    • 18th Mar 19, 4:52 PM
    • 18th Mar 19, 4:52 PM
    I had to get a new boiler because the one I had was well past its sell by date. My servicing bloke and the fitter we called both said to put in a condensing boiler. I have to admit our costs plummeted after we started using it and it's a lot cleaner because it's only exhausting water vapour in the main. It isn't harder to service either; I've watched yer man do it and he just scrapes out the baffles and replaces the jet on the burner. 30 it costs me every year.

In saying all of that I'm also aware that a cast iron boiler would cost a fortune to replace, like for like, because I've been told they're a lot better than anything else so perhaps just replacing the burner on that unit would give you the economy and efficiency you need?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

99Posts Today

1,821Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin