Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    • 2,110Posts
    • 13,852Thanks
    edwink
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day
    • 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day 7th Jul 15 at 5:07 PM
    As a hen and cockerel keeper myself I thought it would be interesting to ask what you name your hens and cockerels. And also ask how many eggs you are getting every day!! I know the egg laying changes when hens moult but just thought it would be interesting to see how many eggs you get. I have hens that are named Bluebell (typical name I think!!!), Muesli, cornflake and scarecrow plus some others. I am getting around 4 to 6 eggs a day at the moment!! Had a delicious egg salad for supper last night OMG it was lovely!!!

Edwink

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by edwink; 02-02-2017 at 6:36 PM.
Page 106
    • edwink
    • By edwink 5th Mar 19, 9:07 PM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 13,852 Thanks
    edwink
    Another post from me tonight as the other one became a bit long.

My little drake Twister is ok. thankfully. He was up on his feet this morning and was so much better. He has been outside with the others today and as we were out there too we were able to keep an extra eye on him. Really not sure what happened to him yesterday but when he wouldn't take any water from me I slowly moved his head and beak towards the bowl and he managed to have a drink, then a few more. After that he sat up better and his neck was no longer almost curled under him. Maybe his neck went in to spasm or something. He certainly looked very uncomfortable when we first noticed there was a problem yesterday. He was stretching his neck out and tilting it sideways and was literately walking around in circles, I saw him do that 3 times, so that's when we went out to see what was happening. When we picked him up and brought him indoors he didn't move for at least an hour. I checked his pupils and they were dilating ok so knew he could see properly so knew it was nothing to do with his eyes. By the end of the evening he did seem much brighter though. My guess is a neck spasm but its hard to tell really.

The main thing is he is ok now, so will keep an extra eye on him and hope that it doesn't happen again. We did wonder if one of the other ducks took a swipe at him but he doesn't have any swelling or bruising. Bit of an odd one this.

Will update if anything changes.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 05-03-2019 at 9:11 PM.
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    6 ducks ~ 4 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • edwink
    • By edwink 5th Mar 19, 10:13 PM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 13,852 Thanks
    edwink
    I'm all ex batty , hens, ducks and turkey's .. I hate it as much as I love it if you get my drift.

My last batch 3 years ago are my last as it was too harrowing ..not a feather just open sores and broken legs .. you'd think you get immune to how bad humans can be but I don't it's grotesque

You ladies are doing a wonderful job and your diaries brighten my day
    Originally posted by babyblade41
    Aww what a lovely thing to say. So glad they brighten your day. Its sad isn't it how some of them arrive with sores all over them. I had ones that were almost totally bald, bless them. Just some tail feathers and a few on their backs. Totally bald chests, not a feather right up to their heads, just bald with bare skin that had been pecked and sores on them. I had one that arrived with a massive bump/swelling to the right hand side of her face but it didn't seem to bother her, she ate well and was active so I wasn't worried about it. Slowly it went down and then I couldn't recognise her when she was with the others. I just thought that her face was banged in the process of transporting her to the rescue centre maybe.

It gets to me sometimes how these people who keep battery hens have the cheek to call themselves farmers. I always think of farmers as growing veg or having sheep and other cattle but that's just me and my thoughts of an ideal world I suppose. To these so called farmers its all about money and making a profit from the eggs these lovely girls give to them, whilst all the while these poor little hens never see daylight or a single blade of grass. I've had hens that when they arrived I placed carefully on some grass and sat with them as they were so frightened and they just stand there and look at it, they don't understand that they can actually eat it. Then when you give them pellets they will eat them instead because that is all they know about food. It is very sad I must say. These so called farmers even sell these hens to rescue homes because they know they will get paid for them whatever because dog food companies buy them from them anyway. As long as he has two years of eggs or 18 months in some cases and then gets money for these very ill treated hens that's all he cares about and then he does it all over again. Its like out with the old and in with the new. Makes me sick to be honest.

We haven't had any eggs over the winter from our ducks because as you know they do stop laying. We have had the odd few from the hens but one sneaky hen is getting to it before we do. I really miss my egg and chips as it's my absolute favourite supper but I really can't bring myself to buy any eggs at all from anywhere. I just don't trust egg producers in the slightest so would rather go without. Even baking too we haven't done any for a while now, no eggs no baking, again I'd rather go without. Even if the box were to say Organic woodland free range happy hens eggs or whatever, I still wouldn't touch them. I just don't trust them or their labelling of these eggs. It's normally all just mass produced and these little hens do not lay happy eggs in my opinion.

So I'll just have to wait until my 2 new girls settle and they lay me two nice eggs so I can have my favourite egg and chips supper and I can't wait Yum yum yum

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 05-03-2019 at 10:18 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 5th Mar 19, 10:30 PM
    • 8,616 Posts
    • 43,835 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Fingers crossed for your little fella edwink xx

Aw babyblade Tis indeed harrowing when they arrive, and I've only done it a couple of times. I admit I shed a tear when this lot got here and Bessie immediately just lay down on her side and started scratching soil into her feathers, looking like she was having the best time.

Got me to thinking though - how did she know? Is it completely innate? Or are they raised outside for a while before being put into cages, and she'd remembered? Whatever, it was a joy

Bessie has the most odd beak. They've all obviously been clipped, but Bessie (and to a lesser extent Rusty) has an almost crossed beak, the two halves kind of cross over each other. Clearly she manages to eat (and eat plenty - she's almost as podgy as Maud and that's saying something ) but still.

All the ladies took themselves to bed tonight finally getting the hang of it, and I've not seen a single swipe from Maud or Mildred (mind you, i've not spent much time out there today as it's been rather nippy). All seem happy and well, all crops as they should be
    Mortgage overpayments 1200 in 2018, 153.58 in 2019
    • edwink
    • By edwink 5th Mar 19, 10:31 PM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 13,852 Thanks
    edwink
    This is interesting and shows where everything is.....
    This image is interesting as shows where all their bits and pieces are. I've had a long day today and can't think of what else to call them except bits and pieces . Maybe I'll have a better brain on me tomorrow after a goods nights sleep.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • SisterAnna
    • By SisterAnna 6th Mar 19, 7:15 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    SisterAnna
    trying not to hijack your wonderful diaries ..I read them most days .

I too have had a poorly ex batt.. egg issues most likely so she has been having a warm bath in the morning with a warm blow dry afterwards.
    Originally posted by babyblade41

I think the hen diaries are wonderful too and I read them all the time, (don't have hens myself though). I think that these lovely posters are just so dedicated to looking after their hens that are unwell and especially with caring for their ex-battery ones who by the stories on here turn up in such a poor state. Some of the stories on here melt my heart.

I had absolutely no idea about battery farming and what these hens went through but I do now. I just feel it is so nice that they can be found homes to retire to with folks such as these on here. Think if I remember correctly it is edwink that uses the term "forever home". They truly do get their forever homes with the hen keepers on here.

Lovely diaries, lovely stories, obviously lovely people and lovely hens. I know it is sad when one of you looses a hen but please do look back at the blissful life you have given them no matter how short it is. Because they would not of had any of this new life without folks like you.

Hugs to you all Sister Anna
    • edwink
    • By edwink 6th Mar 19, 9:54 AM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 13,852 Thanks
    edwink
    I think the hen diaries are wonderful too and I read them all the time, (don't have hens myself though).

I know it is sad when one of you looses a hen but please do look back at the blissful life you have given them no matter how short it is. Because they would not of had any of this new life without folks like you.

Hugs to you all Sister Anna
    Originally posted by SisterAnna
    (((hugs too you too))) sisterAnna

Thank you for reading our happy hen thread. We don't have many poultry keepers on here but the ones we do have are indeed dedicated. Just look at our Cheery Daff and her hens. Spoilt or what? and so they should be I always look forward to reading about Cheery's chooks.

Yes it is sad when we loose one and I do feel that posting about it some how softens the blow, it certainly does for me. When I come on here next time after posting about loosing one of mine and I see a hug or some nice words it just encourages me even more in what I want to achieve with my feathered friends and that is to look after them and give them the best retirement I possibly can. It is so easy to get attached to these poor little hens and it is so hard when they go, it really is. They absolutely don't ask for anything really except to be cared for properly, loved especially, have nice fresh food to eat plus some treats of course and a warm dry place to sleep at night known as a hen hotel.

They really are my world and I would do anything for them like sit in the pouring rain sheltering a skinny bald hen and feeding her olive oil. I still remember clearly doing that 10 years ago and sitting on a very wet log getting absolutely drenched over a period of several days twice a day, but, I really didn't mind at all. In fact I actually think it was doing that and watch her recover and then flourish that started this big softie approach I now have with hens. Her name was Scarf, because when she arrived she looked as though she needed one as was completely bald except for a few tail feathers and some on her back. She later had a best friend named Glove but I'll leave that story for another time because I could talk for England about my lot.

Lovely Pyxis doesn't have hens like you but joins in the discussions on here and asks lots of useful questions as she is obviously inquisitive and interested, which is good because these questions are actually helpful to myself and others. Thank you to you too Pyxis.

So the more the merrier I always say. Thanks again for posting.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 06-03-2019 at 10:03 AM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 7th Mar 19, 12:38 PM
    • 17,068 Posts
    • 283,714 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Guess who's back, back again

True to form, I have been trying to keep up with all the hen-anigans but life has got in the way a little bit and I havent been on MSE as much as i was

I am down to one lady Lady number 2 was found in the nest box this morning. She has been a little bit off colour recently, quite on and off but overnight she decided to give up

We were planning on getting some more ladies anyway at the end of this month as ironically, we were worried what would happen if we suddenly ended up with one but now I think that we are going to have to get two more sooner rather than later. We were going for the end of the month because we are both off work and would have time to help with the integration but it would seem now that best laid plans and all that...

I promise to try and keep up and post a lot more
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Aims for 2019 - Savings up to 8000 - 4010/8000. Lose 50lb - 0/50
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 9th Mar 19, 4:09 PM
    • 8,616 Posts
    • 43,835 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Hi all

Sorry to hear about Lady Number 2 Dizzy very sad, and especially for your lone remaining girl. How is she doing on her own? It's not tooo long to the end of the month now anyway I suppose.

Welcome sisterAnna what lovely things to say Very glad some folks are actually interested in reading about our little hens and glad you've learned something (even if it's not always cheery things!)

Well we appear to be having a bit of an egg laying strike here. One egg today, and one yesterday - from five hens! There was no sign of them stopping before so I'm quite suspicious although I wonder whether the new ladies are just a bit more 'spent' than our original ladies were so maybe we're expecting too much? It's cold and dark and windy out here after all and maybe they just don't feel like it - I was surprised the original lot never really stopped laying over the winter when I thought they would.

Having said that, I have a sneaking suspicion Mildred & Maud have started laying in the coal shed... they have two bushes in the garden that they prefer to the hen house (especially now with the new ladies hanging round up there). But even that has been egg free for the last couple of days, and Mr Cheery was woken from his slumber while I was out this morning by one of them creating a right racket in the direction of the coal shed... they're often there when we open the back door (it's sheltered, and they've worked out that if they hop IN through the back door we will throw treats to get them to go out again..)

Meant to investigate when I was out there earlier but I forgot -, will go and shut them in the run about 4.30 and check then. Pesky creatures
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 9th Mar 19, 9:33 PM
    • 17,068 Posts
    • 283,714 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Well, my lone lady wasn't doing very well on her own so we went out this morning to get a couple more ladies and came back with four intro hasn't quite gone as planned so I'll be changing tact tomorrow and doing it the way I wanted to in the first place but he wanted to do it his way *rolls eyes* I'll be there at first light to separate the run

We have a silver sussex, a white sussex, a Colombian black tip and a goldline, all POL. Our old lady is 4 and I'm hoping that she will settle with them quickly. Poor little things barely ventured out of the nest box/bedroom today

I'll be doing a full day there again tomorrow so I'll be pretty broken by the time I go back to work on Monday

Oh yes, their names are Doris, Gladys, Marjorie and Betty respectively
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 10th Mar 19, 9:24 AM
    • 8,616 Posts
    • 43,835 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ooh, congratulations Dizzy! Lovely names I'm sure your lone lady will come to accept her new pals in time, especially if you are there to adjudicate

Do any of you have snow? We do Mildred and Maud are old hands and, despite being PATHETIC last time we had snow, this time just strode off into it without a pause (and yes, they headed straight to the coal shed, and I shone a torch in there and spotted where Maud was sitting so can investigate further when she's finished - no wonder those pair are always filthy )

New ladies less impressed Bessie tried flying up to perch on the handle of a gardening chair - couldn't quite get a grip though and flapped off and landed in the most undignified fashion Beaky did fly up, and then wouldn't get back down Have had to dig them a space - but when I popped out again a few minutes ago all three of them (and Mildred) were back in the run, which is completely snowless (Maud is still in the coal shed....)

Suspect they'll stay there for the rest of the day as it's only meant to get worse...
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 11th Mar 19, 7:44 AM
    • 17,068 Posts
    • 283,714 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Morning! I was with the girls for more than 12 hours yesterday

Things seemed to be a lot better yesterday. The new girls ventured out into the big run a few times Old girl was more or less not phased by them but we did have some handbags. The new girls all seemed to stick together to start with and split into different directions when Elsie was anywhere near them. Three of the four seem to be getting braver and braver but one is terribly shy/terrified and spent most of yesterday afternoon sleeping in the inside run so I am a little bit worried about her.

I am glad to be back at work today for a break! He's off today so is going to be with them but we are both back at work from tomorrow so i am going to have to try and work something out. This is why we were waiting until the end of the month when we are both off for a week and could spend more time with them but we couldnt leave Elsie on her own for that long

We have a lovely white Sussex lady who decided to tip over a thing of water and then proceed to try and dust bathe in the mud so she has one side that is all muddy and horrible looking

Same one last night decided to try and get up on top of the little run and banged her head on the bottom of the nest box Not put off, she tried again and smacked her chin on top of the nest box!

I had a lovely cuddle with Betty last night before bedtime. She would have been quite happy to sit with me all night

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Mar 19, 9:03 AM
    • 8,616 Posts
    • 43,835 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oh Dizzy, you sounds as much of a softie with your ladies as I am Very glad Elsie isn't phased by an influx of new pals I'm giggling at your muddy lady though

Hope your little one pulls through, must be worrying

I do know what you mean about going back to work for a rest We had to leave our ladies for most of a day just a couple of days after we got the new ones and I was worried too, but they didn't seem to be injuring each other with their squabbles so we just crossed our fingers and hoped for the best, and left five food bowls (one for each chicken ). No harm done, and they're pretty harmonious with each other now

Snowed again overnight here, although not much, but it's still windy and cold. I've opened the door to the run and went for a walk, and when I got back, all five of them were back in there Clearly it is as cosy and windproof as we intended it to be

Did I tell you I found FOUR eggs in the coal shed yesterday I never would have found them if I hadn't shone the torch in there when I heard Maud clucking away and spotted where she was sitting. They were tucked away right in the corner under a load of wood and looked just like pieces of coal to the untrained eye
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 14th Mar 19, 5:36 PM
    • 8,616 Posts
    • 43,835 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Evening chums

How are we all and our beaky pals?

We have another poorly chicken here - Rusty this time. I don't think she's poorly as such - she's eating and drinking and seems ok, but is standing on one leg and limping I've brought her into the house just to get a good look at her, and given her a snack, and aside from just standing on one leg, she seems ok.

I think I'm going to wait til it's a bit darker and the others have gone to bed, and then take her back out and put her straight into the hen house, so she doesn't have to hop in. She can rest it overnight, and then we'll see how she's doing in the morning.

She might have just hopped off something funny this afternoon (she was fine this morning), or maybe something has startled her blowing in the wind and she's landed awkwardly.

Gosh it's difficult and emotional this chicken keeping malarkey, isn't it?

Everyone else is fine I'm pleased to report, although NOT impressed with this wind and rain, and not venturing far from the run (which itself is largely weather-proof).

Rusty seems a bit bemused - she's not been in the house before, but aside from just looking at me with her head on one side occasionally, she's just having a good preen out of the wind and watching me tap-a-tapping on the keyboard. Poor little thing.

Hope you and your hens and ducks and turkeys are all well
    • edwink
    • By edwink 14th Mar 19, 9:18 PM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 13,852 Thanks
    edwink
    We have another poorly chicken here - Rusty this time. I don't think she's poorly as such - she's eating and drinking and seems ok, but is standing on one leg and limping I've brought her into the house just to get a good look at her, and given her a snack, and aside from just standing on one leg, she seems ok.

I think I'm going to wait til it's a bit darker and the others have gone to bed, and then take her back out and put her straight into the hen house, so she doesn't have to hop in. She can rest it overnight, and then we'll see how she's doing in the morning.

She might have just hopped off something funny this afternoon (she was fine this morning), or maybe something has startled her blowing in the wind and she's landed awkwardly.
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Cheery, its more than likely that she has jumped off of something and maybe landed a bit awkwardly. These little rescue girls have so much fun exploring being free range hens and can end up climbing up all sorts and then realise it is harder to get down than how they got up there in the first place.

Have look at the bottom of the pads on her feet just in case she has a sore there or has something stuck in her foot maybe. Often when there is a fair amount of wet weather they can get little sores on their feet. Just check her over again and have a look as there maybe something there.

I've had more than one or two over the past that have had a slight limp only for it to disappear in a couple of days and then the hen is back to her normal self and up to all sorts of mischief again.

I always think that hens are the Landrovers of the poultry world and it is normally the ducks that hurt themselves as they are so blooming clumsy but its normally quite different with the hens are they are agile little things.

I hope you find out what the problem is. Always keep some of the purple Betadine that I put a link on here about several posts ago. Its really not expensive at all and last ages and ages. Always good for cuts and grazes and sore little bald patches that other hens might like the look of and start pecking at. Great little medical item to have in their first aid box. I'll pop back on the thread and see if I can find it for you.

Edwink

ETA.... Links for Betadine.... Big difference in price from international sellers but bare in mind that delivery will take longer from international sellers. So if you don't need it now its well worth ordering in case you need it in the future. Great to put a little on any sores/grazes etc. and hens that have any bald patches so the other hens don't peck at any red sore areas. Will temporary dye the skin purple which stops them pecking. The purple colour with wear off over time.

UK seller 4.59 with free postage for 1 bottle x 15ml....Click on link and scroll down a little to see this item.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BETADINE-Antiseptic-Povidone-Iodine-Solution-15ML-UK-SELLER/273023881457?epid=1128274843&hash=item3f917dd0f1:g :GeAAAOSwX3FaAyq-

International seller 4.10 with free postage for 2 x 30ml bottles (bottles twice the size than UK seller) Click on the link and scroll down a little to see this item.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-30-cc-BETADINE-POVIDONE-IODINE-FIRST-AID-SOLUTION-ANTISEPTIC-CUTS-WOUNDS/273597559578?hash=item3fb3af731a:g:~YIAAOSwpDdVdoU S
    Last edited by edwink; 14-03-2019 at 10:04 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 15th Mar 19, 5:23 PM
    • 17,068 Posts
    • 283,714 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    I've not had any broadband in the last few days so I've struggled a bit to get in here and update.

I've taken half days from work every day this week and gone and sat with the girls until they've gone to bed. Every day has been easier than the last, to the point that we can leave them to their own devices we have a sweeping brush that we used for herding the first lot around, which had never touched them but always did the trick. Well, said brush has come into its own this week and today it stayed in the shed

There is still some little pecks here and there and a little bit of chasing but that's getting better every day too

On Tuesday evening the new girls were searching for somewhere to roost and thought it was me firstly, Doris the really shy one, then the lovely Marjorie and suddenly Gladys wanted a go too so at one point I had 3 chickens on my shoulder

It's so lovely having five ladies again and hopefully they'll start laying soon and pay for their keep

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th Mar 19, 11:51 PM
    • 8,616 Posts
    • 43,835 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Aw Dizzy, lively to read about how we'll your ladies are selling in and using you as a perch how lovely. How did they manage on their own the other day?

Thanks for your advice about Rusty's foot edwink I'm pleased to report that after a good rest overnight it was much better, and now you'd never know she'd had an issue thanks to the link to the people spray too, you're so thoughtful

We've still had some rotten weather this week but at least there have been some bouts of sunshine amiss all the rain, snow and hail today!

All five ladies have been properly hanging out together today the old ones have been showing the new ones the dust bathing area, and all five of them have been in the house today too, gah!

Their house has had a clean out and new bedding, and the run has had some old straw from the shed to mop up some of the mud

Apparently the forecast is ok for a few days now thank goodness,!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 18th Mar 19, 4:32 PM
    • 40,651 Posts
    • 150,451 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Just saw his on the Funny, Peculiar thread in the Arms, and thought it might raise a smile......

(Courtesy of Minimad).
    Last edited by Pyxis; 18-03-2019 at 6:39 PM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 18th Mar 19, 7:48 PM
    • 17,068 Posts
    • 283,714 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    New girls are all getting on fantastically

Big bird however is a different story. She's currently in a dog cage on my dining room table and has been since yesterday morning. She's got respitatory problems I went round to them yesterday and she was huddled up next to the new girls and not moving very much at all. We brought her home and listened while she sneezed, coughed and rattled her way through the day she wouldn't eat or drink and more or less slept all day. Her eyes were all gunked up and her nose was all drippy. This morning came and she didn't look any better. He got her to drink some water and it clearly perked her up because I came home from work to a totally different hen! Alert, standing up, eating apple, clucking and pooing

Her eyes are still gunky and her breathing is still rattly but I think she might be coming out of the other side

After everything we've been through in the last week to settle the new girls with her and then this happens

I did call the emergency vet yesterday but they wanted 150 just to walk through the door never mind any additional treatment, so that's why we brought her home so we could watch her. At lunchtime today I called a different vet and booked her in with the possibility of not bringing her home. Then I got home this evening and she was brighter

I'm not daft enough to think that she's out of the woods yet. There is still every chance that she'll be headed off to the vet but for the time being, I'm keeping on to the hope that she'll be ok. I need to get some antibiotic treatment for the new girls as a preventative measure so I'll do that tomorrow.

Keep your fingers crossed for her please

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 18th Mar 19, 9:28 PM
    • 8,616 Posts
    • 43,835 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oh crikey Dizzy poor Big Bird I'm sure you're doing everything you can, well done you. Sounds like she's pulling through, so yes, all fingers and beaks crossed here xxx

Ha pyxis! Yes I'm sure that's what my ladies are thinking!

Ours have had a lovely day - it's not been windy or rainy or snowy for the first time in about a fortnight and they've all been happily wandering around, the new girls getting to know the favoured dust bathing spots, and now when we open the back door FIVE chickens hop straight in and start strutting round like they own the place and demanding treats

Went to put them in the run late afternoon - four were there but where was Maud? Half way down the field having a great time, took forever to cajole the pesky thing all the way back to the run i was getting rained on too but she just wouldn't listen to my complaints
    • edwink
    • By edwink 19th Mar 19, 4:07 AM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 13,852 Thanks
    edwink
    Extremely devastating news for us here tonight Extremely devastating so please don't read any further if you don't feel you can. But, after 10 whole years of my girls free ranging, having the best time of their lives and enjoying their well earned retirements a bl**dy fox got to them tonight just before bedtime.

We have lost all our 4 hens, all found dead, that's my two very sweet very old ex-battery hens and the 2 we rly the week before last. Plus my poor beautiful lovely Cockerel has been killed too and one of our large Aylesbury ducks.

Went up as normal to put them to bed and found one of the Aylesbury ducks dead on the ground in the large coop with another barely alive small duck sitting near to her. There were two Cayuga ducks in their hotel cowering in the corner together absolutely traumatised. For some reason the Drake Aylesbury and the Indian Runner we found in the pond (probably to get away from the fox that these 2 ducks were in the pond next to the coop).

So that's all hens and Cockerel gone and one Aylesbury duck. We brought the remaining 5 ducks indoors. One Cayuga has died since bringing them all indoors with us and another is in a bad way and terribly traumatised. The other one is equally traumatised and continues to curl up in a ball unless I'm holding on to him, bless him. The remaining Aylesbury drake is also incredibly traumatised and has two punctured skin injuries that I have bathed carefully and put some iodine on so far, one is a nasty gash but is now thoroughly clean. He was such a brave little man and just sat so very still whilst I was looking after him and his wounds, bless him, needless to say he is traumatised too. How the other tiny Cayuga got away with being killed I'll never know but she certainly got squashed in what must have a been a commotion as she was covered in mud when I found her sitting near the female Aylesbury that had passed away. I've left her to rest for the night indoors with the others and will sponge her down in the morning once she is more settled. Just thought she had seen and heard enough for one night without me fussing too much around her trying to clean her up. I don't hold out much hope for our drake Cayuga in all honesty as he too is extremely traumatised and wont lift his head up at all and has stayed curled up in tight ball like a cat would, very unlike a duck all evening.

The only one that came out unscathed from all this tonight or should I say last night now its the early hours of the morning is our Indian Runner, the duck that likes to have a really long swim every night before bedtime, that swim obviously saved her life last night.. She is indoors with us too as there is no way she was staying outside on her own ever.

Obviously I have wanted to post about this and have tried not been graphic for obvious reasons. Its just leaves me to say that my hubby and I are heartbroken to put it mildly.

We must have alerted the fox of our presence in the garden as none were missing although we believe that as it had just started to get dark we must have disturbed the fox as it was making a get away with one of our hens as we had to look for her as initially couldn't find her in the coop with the others and later we finally found her at the bottom of one of the boundary fences on the ground

Will of course let you know how the remaining girls and boys get on tomorrow, hopefully if I can. But, to say I am breaking my heart is an understatement. These girls and boys have been my world, my absolute world and some of them have been with me for almost 10 years now. I feel so sad for the ones that survived what can only be described as a horrific traumatic attack on them, glad so much they survived but have never in all my time of keeping poultry and my feathered friends, witnessed anyone of them so traumatised, it breaks my heart to see it.

All for now.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,176Posts Today

6,446Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @CityPoliceTell2: @MartinSLewis Really good that @MartinSLewis is being socially responsible in reminding people not to share their pers?

• Has anyone received a PPI payment recently - if so pls could you tweet me a photo of your payout statement - there'? https://t.co/6TEC6FxHIN

• RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

• Follow Martin