Flights to Sharm el-Sheikh delayed/cancelled

Comments

• HoofeHearted
    HoofeHearted Posts: 2,651 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Latest update here.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34739343

3 airlines set to fly out to bring Brits back home.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Easyjet passengers returning will be restricted to minimal hand baggage only, luggage will follow separately.

http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/sharm-el-sheikh
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Cardew wrote: »
    On the BBC it ruled out your option 2 as the route passes through/near territory where IS operate.

EgyptAir fly Sharm to Cairo.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • lea2012
    lea2012 Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Your hotel voucher will tell you who your accommodation supplier is. I would suggest contacting them direct to find out whether or not they are refunding travel Republic. If you find out that travel Republic have been refunded then legally they are obliged to give that money to you as they're acting as a principal and not an agent so any refund belongs to you not them. They can charge an administrative fee which I think is about £50pp but that's it.
    They'll rely on you not finding out about a refund though but you can always try to find out. The supplier on your list may not be the final supplier though as there may be three or more suppliers involved but it's worth digging to find out.
    Lea :confused:
  • So update from me!!
    10.30am very cheap holidays customer service called to cancel. I advised 10 other possible holiday choices we would like said from any uk airport over 4 days. 17.30 tonight I was called by sales support saying customer service had closed although my holiday was AI they could only offer B&B now.
    I said I had found a holiday and VCH was also advertising could we look at that and compromise on price.
    I was then told that holiday was gone due to high demand because of the situation. I then asked why this wasn't dealt with sooner to be told customer service were busy and when they left at 17.30 it was handed to the sales team to sort out.
    Nothing like leaving a sinking ship hey, upshot another holiday isn't looking good for me unless I will pay another 1k which if it had been booked say at 15.00 was cheaper I was told this was due to demand.
    my complaint is now in the hands of head office.
    im flabbergasted head office and customer service left for home leaving the sales team to deal with it all nothing like team work.
  • stephb34
    stephb34 Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    nicolakate wrote: »
    So update from me!!
    10.30am very cheap holidays customer service called to cancel. I advised 10 other possible holiday choices we would like said from any uk airport over 4 days. 17.30 tonight I was called by sales support saying customer service had closed although my holiday was AI they could only offer B&B now.
    I said I had found a holiday and VCH was also advertising could we look at that and compromise on price.
    I was then told that holiday was gone due to high demand because of the situation. I then asked why this wasn't dealt with sooner to be told customer service were busy and when they left at 17.30 it was handed to the sales team to sort out.
    Nothing like leaving a sinking ship hey, upshot another holiday isn't looking good for me unless I will pay another 1k which if it had been booked say at 15.00 was cheaper I was told this was due to demand.
    my complaint is now in the hands of head office.
    im flabbergasted head office and customer service left for home leaving the sales team to deal with it all nothing like team work.
    Get your money back and book elsewhere on the high street far easier than dealing with one of these companies over the telephone who's flights aren't live.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Was wondering if anyone can help... Booked via Travel Republic in Sept to fly to sharm on saturday 7th.. Since the above has happened we called Travel Republic to see what they could do. We agreed go transfer the holiday to Agadir... We have firstly had to pay an extra £300 as the cost was more ( even tho the hotel
    Is a lesser star!). We agreed to pay this over the phone even though i still dont think that is correct. I was told the payment had all gone through and would get an email. Next minute they ring to say the airline ( monarch) have in reased the rate by an extra £198. So now we are £500 out of pocket due to no fault of out own. Asked TR is they would cancel but advised the hotel was nob refundable so either way we were losing out. Do i have any leg to stand on to claim compensation via travel republic or abta?? Thanks

If they were even competent, they would not have booked the hotel until they had confirmed the flights.
    You may still have to pay this meanwhile, but make it clear you feel t is unfair and you are doing so under protest.
    I find it impossible to believe a small claims court would not find in your favour.
  • silvercar wrote: »
    EgyptAir fly Sharm to Cairo.

KLM are advising their Cairo-Amstsrdam passengers that they will only be able to travel with hand luggage only.
  • stephb34 wrote: »
    Get your money back and book elsewhere on the high street far easier than dealing with one of these companies over the telephone who's flights aren't live.

I gave asked and was told it would take 3-5 full working days so we wouldn't get our money back until next Friday, sadly and like most we don't have the disposable income to book another holiday without getting the refund first.
    Ive had it now sick of being palmed off with excuses, I understand how busy they must be but common sense would say get a team to deal with people over there and one to deal with people who have had holidays cancelled. Head office staff and customer service staff shouldn't be leaving sales staff to deal with the backlash.
    I guess some don't have common sense.
  • Obviously the main concern is to get everyone home safely but it is hard to feel sympathy for those people stuck out in Sharm and others who've had their holidays cancelled.

There's a reason why the place is so cheap - it's in the middle of one of the most dangerous areas on the planet and only ten years ago 88 people were killed in suicide bomb attacks in Sharm.

What bothers me is that if, as has been reported, our Government has been concerned about security at Sharm airport for some time why the FCO wasn't updated to reflect this.

Some of us who've been warning on here of the dangers of visiting Sharm and who've come in for plenty of stick will take no pleasure in the current events.

But the reality is holidays are no different from anything else and you get what you pay for. If you want to buy a low-cost holiday in a high-risk area thems the chances you take.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure