MSE News: Martin Lewis hands MPs list of key questions TSB must answer

MoneySavingExpert.com founder Martin Lewis has written to the chair of the Treasury Committee Nicky Morgan with a list of key facts we believe TSB should make public, ahead of the bank's appearance in front of the committee on Wednesday...
Read the full story:
'Martin Lewis hands MPs list of key questions TSB must answer'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I see 'compo' was diplomatically put as #4 rather than #1 but why the expectation that TSB should pay out to everyone?

For example the DD for my TSB credit card was not taken. Without asking the interest was refunded and they sent me a letter explaining what had happened.

Did I suffer loss (no), was I inconvenienced (no, although the culture would say yes) so why the demand for compensation?

The people who have lost money to scammers only have themselves to blame but its always someone elses fault...
  • hangonthebox
    hangonthebox Posts: 20 Forumite
    KTF wrote: »
    I see 'compo' was diplomatically put as #4 rather than #1 but why the expectation that TSB should pay out to everyone?

For example the DD for my TSB credit card was not taken. Without asking the interest was refunded and they sent me a letter explaining what had happened.

Did I suffer loss (no), was I inconvenienced (no, although the culture would say yes) so why the demand for compensation?

The people who have lost money to scammers only have themselves to blame but its always someone elses fault...

That's the way it goes these days. Mock outrage, hand-wringing and people always looking for a payout.

Obviously people who have suffered losses and major inconvenience should be fairly compensated. But I'm in a similar position to you (my bills account is with TSB) and it didn't really affect me apart from having to make one telephone call when the site was down. No big deal, no payout needed or wanted.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Since the select committee managed to find 156 probing questions to ask at TSB's appearance before them last month (as per transcript here), which unsurprisingly are a superset of this short list of the bleedin' obvious, this simply smacks of being another "look at me" Martin Lewis publicity stunt....

Did he really think that without his intervention they'd fail to ask when the problems will be fully fixed, and to push further if a date isn't forthcoming?
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    mchambers......
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There is not the remotest hope that these questions will be answered. Not even sure that these are in the public interest - what does the public gain by learning how many have switched away?

And #4 is just daft. TSB will not advise minimum compensation because compensation depends entirely on the circumstance and amount of inconvenience caused, hence why it is a case-by-case basis.
  • where_are_we
    where_are_we Posts: 999 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Thanks "KTF" - "The people who have lost money to scammers only have themselves to blame but its always someone elses fault...". So you can catagorically say that ALL people who have lost money to scammers only have themselves to blame. Recently I have been the victim of Sim-Swap and subsequent emptying of my TSB accounts. I do not click on emails, give information to callers, reply to texts and I shred my mail, have strong different passwords, use text alerts, use antivirus software etc but this did not prevent me being scammed. Some Mobile phone companies and some banks have inadequate security systems in place. I hope it never happens to you.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,735 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Whilst I am sure many enjoy blaming the victims - how many of them would have been victims without the disaster caused by this spanish bank?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I wasn't inconvenienced at all by TSB's problems but I'm already being compensated by receiving extra interest on my Classic Plus account every month. there was no need for them to pay that, and I wouldn't expect to get anything else.
  • Ashen
    Ashen Posts: 592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Herbalus wrote: »
    There is not the remotest hope that these questions will be answered. Not even sure that these are in the public interest - what does the public gain by learning how many have switched away?

And #4 is just daft. TSB will not advise minimum compensation because compensation depends entirely on the circumstance and amount of inconvenience caused, hence why it is a case-by-case basis.
    Agreed. I'd say that several of them are daft. The first question - asking how many people were affected, and how many still have problems is absolutely meaningless as a figure without context of how serious, or if it actually has had an impact on the customer.

MSE describing those questions as "essential information" is just self-indulgent nonsense.
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Has this been marked as a missed payment on your credit reports?
    poppy10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport