PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Using an online estate agent to sell a property

2»

Comments

• Thank you so much for your response on my Forum thread about Online estate agents. That was really useful.

Would you mind telling me, did you do your own viewings or did they do them?
    Best wishes

Colin
  • We have had our house up with an online estate agent for the last 2 months and on Monday we are having a normal high street agent come and put our house up for sale. I think I have totally wasted the last 2 months, Hopefully this proper agent will get us results as it been so stressful so far!
  • sheff6107
    sheff6107 Posts: 451 Forumite
    I sold a flat with an online agent no problem.
    Tried the same thing with a 500k house before going to a traditional agent and I got a lot more viewings and hits on Rightmove. No idea why, but that's what happened
  • no1duncan
    no1duncan Posts: 22 Forumite
    edited 21 June 2018 at 2:57PM
    boots_babe wrote: »
    It was easy for us to amend the property details, and easy to swap around for ourselves as to which was the 'cover' photo which shows on the list view in Rightmove.

We used this to play around and see what increased our click-throughs, and also found that amending certain listing details would prompt our house to show in the results on Rightmove when people searched for recently listed properties.

What did you change to get it to appear as recently listed? We desperately need to get our click-thoughs up!! Would love to know your secret!!
  • marmitemum
    marmitemum Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    With an online agent, if the property has not sold within a certain time you have to pay anyway! With PB it!!!8217;s ten months,
  • I sold mine with House Network. No problems here, left briefly when everyone told me I'd made a bad chocie and went with a popular High St agent. So, so many issues it was far better with House Network. You do do all your own viewings, but you get regular feedback and you can 'raise a ticket' online if you have any issues. My negotiator was on the ball and normally would ring me in minutes if I raised a ticket or asked any questions. I always good feedback promptly too.

You can pause marketing and restart again and I only paid when I sold my house, and although the same collapsed (no fault of EA), I just remarket again and when it sold again as if already paid the fee I didn't pay again. Happy to give more details if you need to.

As a buyer and seller I preferred viewings when the vendors did their own and found EA impossible to deal with in terms of arranging viewings, making offers etc.
  • antilles
    antilles Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Another vote for House Network from me. Both myself and my girlfriend sold our last houses through them. Much, much, cheaper than the local high street agents, much more on the ball too. I had my house up with 2 local High Street agents, one actually forgot to phone me when a buyer fell through, cost me 2 weeks of wasted time and a second buyer who ended up buying something else. House Network photos were fantastic too. Can't recommend them enough. Sold both houses within a week, although admittedly, this does depend more on having the right price than the agent used. A particularly good feature was the ability to manage your listing, feedback, and viewings online.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    no1duncan wrote: »
    What did you change to get it to appear as recently listed? We desperately need to get our click-thoughs up!! Would love to know your secret!!

That can't be done any more. Any agent attempting to manipulate listings will be quickly booted off Rightmove. Some agents used to do it weekly. Now, it cannot be relisted as a new property with the same agent until it's been off the market for 14 weeks.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport