PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• klbooth
    klbooth Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks caronc, makes sense, I like how organised you are! :)

I am calling today a win as am having beef stew for dinner so grabbed 2 ancient tins from the back of the cupboard and added them in, a can of baked beans and a can of corn, not things I use usually hence why they are forgotten at the back. Not sorted out the cupboard at all but considering how long they have been there I am feeling motivated!! :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    klbooth wrote: »
    Thanks caronc, makes sense, I like how organised you are! :)

I am calling today a win as am having beef stew for dinner so grabbed 2 ancient tins from the back of the cupboard and added them in, a can of baked beans and a can of corn, not things I use usually hence why they are forgotten at the back. Not sorted out the cupboard at all but considering how long they have been there I am feeling motivated!! :)
    Organised isn't quite how I would describe it:o:o:rotfl:
    Good thinking on using the tins bet they made it tasty;):D
  • caronc
    Options
    Today
    In: portion of "braised red cabbage with bratwurst"
    Out: brown lentils, chicken stock pot, piece of naan bread pork chop, pork mince and beef mince
    Used up: tomato puree
  • klbooth
    Options
    The stew was very tasty but the extra tins made it a much larger amount so now I have leftovers to store, lol. Oh well hopefully will get them eaten over lunchtimes.
  • caronc
    Options
    The stew was very tasty but the extra tins made it a much larger amount so now I have leftovers to store, lol. Oh well hopefully will get them eaten over lunchtimes.
    Yep leftovers from leftovers - I frequently end up with these too :rotfl::rotfl:
  • klbooth
    Options
    Well the leftovers were very yummy today,but still have several more portions, may end up freezing some but then it has to fit in the over full freezer so not a good option but I have a couple of days to decide i guess.
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, still thinking of the best approach for me regarding this challenge. One idea is to continue with using up previously prepared freezer recipes; this will then refer to 2017 items.
  • caronc
    Options
    In: two portions of spiced chicken & lentils
    Out: passatta, tinned tomatoes, new tube of tomato puree
    Used up: cheese spread, "spare" chicken thigh
  • klbooth
    edited 17 January 2018 at 11:16PM
    Options
    I was thinking I needed to wait to start when I get around to doing an inventory but perhaps I should start and get in the habit and then once I overhaul the cupboard and freezer I can keep the tally better. How do you keep your inventory lists caronc, is it just a sheet you tick off or do you have a spreadsheet or something?

IN: 2 bags brown sugar
    OUT: Diced chicken breast family portion, 1 packet flavour mix, 1 mac n cheese packet, 1 portion sweetcorn.
  • caronc
    Options
    I was thinking I needed to wait to start when I get around to doing an inventory but perhaps I should start and get in the habit and then once I overhaul the cupboard and freezer I can keep the tally better. How do you keep your inventory lists caronc, is it just a sheet you tick off or do you have a spreadsheet or something?

IN: 2 bags brown sugar
    OUT: Diced chicken breast family portion, 1 packet flavour mix, 1 mac n cheese packet, 1 portion sweetcorn.

Just simple typed list on the side of the freezer and inside cupboards door that I mark up manually when things go/out. I update the electronic version every so often when the printed one gets messy. That said I do really need to re-do the cupboard ones as I've not been as good at keeping these up to date as the freezer ones:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback