Quote for plasterboarding and skim coating bedroom

Options
My bedroom has lath & plaster walls, but the plaster is coming away from the walls over large areas, so I've decided to strip it out and get the walls plaster boarded and skim coated. I will do the plaster and lath removal and the plasterer will fit the boards and skim.

The room is 3.8m x 4.5m and the walls are 2.8m high.

I've had a quote of £770 for the job, and I wanted to check if this is a reasonable quote for the job. I'm in Scotland.

Comments

• jrrowleyws
    Options
    I'd be inclined to fit the boards myself as the plasterer may be adding a bit of contingency money onto the price as they don't know exactly what they are going to be presented with. I find the cost of plastering is dependent on how busy the spreads in the area are... If everyone is busy then prices are generally a bit higher than if it is quiet. I'd have thought you'd be able to get it down by a hundred quid but depends on where you are and if people are busy etc.

Few things to consider if you haven't already...

Do you have plaster and lath ceilings? Be careful not to disturb them... Or take it down/overboard at the same time. What are you doing about woodwork? Are you replacing skirting and door frames?
  • glasgowdan
    Options
    Sounds competitive. If their work is good quality then hire them.
  • Cocorita
    Options
    It's VERY expensive!
    I had 3 rooms fixed (re-bonding/patching/skimming), roughly same size as yours, old tenement, no plasterboard (I hate that stuff), and the price was £490 for each room. And an impeccable job!
  • Camster
    Camster Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jrrowleyws wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to fit the boards myself as the plasterer may be adding a bit of contingency money onto the price as they don't know exactly what they are going to be presented with. I find the cost of plastering is dependent on how busy the spreads in the area are... If everyone is busy then prices are generally a bit higher than if it is quiet. I'd have thought you'd be able to get it down by a hundred quid but depends on where you are and if people are busy etc.

Few things to consider if you haven't already...

Do you have plaster and lath ceilings? Be careful not to disturb them... Or take it down/overboard at the same time. What are you doing about woodwork? Are you replacing skirting and door frames?

I have minimal DIY skills and don't have time to fit boards myself, so this wouldn't be an option. The room has a lath & paster ceiling which seems quite sound, so I was looking to get this skim coated and was given a price of an additional £100 for this.

The door frames shouldn't be affected, but the skirting will be renewed. I had a similar job done in another room previously, and the skirting was damaged when it was removed, so it will be all new stuff in this room.
  • Camster
    Options
    Cocorita wrote: »
    It's VERY expensive!
    I had 3 rooms fixed (re-bonding/patching/skimming), roughly same size as yours, old tenement, no plasterboard (I hate that stuff), and the price was £490 for each room. And an impeccable job!

The problem is I've had two other plasterers come out and look at the job, but never got back to me with a quote, and another two who said they would come out to quote, but never turned up, so this is the only quote I've had.

Is your quote for re plastering the complete walls in the room, as that's whats needed in mine. If you are any where near Glasgow please pm me with the plasterers details if you don't mind.
  • agentk
    agentk Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Seems ok to me 250 ish materials guy and lad 2 days 250 a day.Expect them to start late finish early though :rotfl:
    3.55kw 2 systems 2.3 se 1.25 sw installed may 2011 and oct 2011..

I have never been mis sold anything but i have bought a few things i didnt need!
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Camster what area of Glasgow are you in? I'll give you the details of a very good guy we use for tiling and plastering
  • Camster
    Options
    I'm actually in Paisley, but near the Glasgow boundary.
  • Cocorita
    Cocorita Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm sorry I missed your post. Do you still need a plasterer? I can try and find my plasterer number and send it to you. I'm in Edinburgh, but maybe he could be willing to go to Glasgow?
  • Camster
    Options
    I haven't went ahead with the job, but I intend to soon, so I will be needing someone.

Thanks for the offer of your plasterers details, but I would prefer to use someone more local to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure