Personal Savings Allowance guide

Comments

• Over62
    Over62 Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Can I just remind everyone that a tax year, which ends on 5 April, is not the same as a financial year, which ends on 31 March. The terms are not interchangeable.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Wot, only 44 :)
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Over62 wrote: »
    Can I just remind everyone that a tax year, which ends on 5 April, is not the same as a financial year, which ends on 31 March. The terms are not interchangeable.
    Now, I always thought a financial year was the period used by businesses for their annual report and accounts (broadly speaking) and could be any date as long as it was the same date each year.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • polymaff
    Over62 wrote: »

In UK terms, a financial year is just a twelve-month period. No start or finish date is implied - it is up to the individual organisation to choose.

When dealing with the taxation of personal income the tax year does, indeed, end on 5th April.

Bet it has been asked before but who - without resort to the internet - knows why the 5th April? :)
  • Doc_N wrote: »
    Same here - but without Microsoft Money keeping track of what's going on would be impossible!
    As a PAYE tax payer I find it pretty easy without having to do much. Last year I made a rough estimate that I would get in the region of £2500 in savings interest and informed HMRC. It turned out that the actual figure was around £2200 so I got a rebate.
    This year they based my tax code on last year's amount but I did a rough estimate and knew it would reduce to around £1700 so I informed HMRC of that and I got a new tax code. At the end of the year it will be a little bit more or a little bit less and they'll either give me a rebate or change next year's code for an underpayment. I always tend to over-estimate as I'd rather have a small rebate than have slightly lower earnings in the following year.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    polymaff wrote: »
    Bet it has been asked before but who - without resort to the internet - knows why the 5th April? :)
    When we switched from the Julian to Gregorian calendar, we 'lost' days, but the treasury just moved the year end to be 365 days after the previous year end.
    Why the year end was previously Lady Day, I've no idea.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As a PAYE tax payer I find it pretty easy without having to do much. Last year I made a rough estimate that I would get in the region of £2500 in savings interest and informed HMRC. It turned out that the actual figure was around £2200 so I got a rebate.
    This year they based my tax code on last year's amount but I did a rough estimate and knew it would reduce to around £1700 so I informed HMRC of that and I got a new tax code. At the end of the year it will be a little bit more or a little bit less and they'll either give me a rebate or change next year's code for an underpayment. I always tend to over-estimate as I'd rather have a small rebate than have slightly lower earnings in the following year.
    Are you telling them the year end actual figure or are they picking up the info from the banks & making the rebate? If it's you how are you doing that?
  • polymaff
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    When we switched from the Julian to Gregorian calendar, we 'lost' days, but the treasury just moved the year end to be 365 days after the previous year end.

What a good day for the general start of the year 25th March was - and would be now. Winter definitely losing its grip etc. etc. :)
  • polymaff
    Eco_Miser wrote: »

What a good day for the general start of the year 25th March was - and would be now. Winter definitely losing its grip etc. etc. :)
  • Tirian
    Tirian Posts: 960 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm a little confused by this. I'm a higher (not additional rate) taxpayer. I received around £100 interest in the tax year 2016-17.

On that basis, I should not be paying any tax on the interest I receive.

But when I filled in my tax return, I initially put £200 interest as I forgot to divide the amount earned in our joint account by two.

On the calculation page of the tax return it showed up as £216 * 0% = 0 due.

But when I amended the amount to £108, my total tax due went down by £22 - even though the calculation page of the tax return still showed the tax due on the savings interest as £108 * 0% = 0.

In other words, even though they are allegedly not levying tax on the interest, it is nevertheless still being counted in my income somewhere in the calculations and being added to my overall tax due. Surely this can't be right?
    For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also ...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback