Advertisng scam help

2»

Comments

• Atidi
    Atidi Posts: 943 Forumite
    Rawhead wrote: »
    I recieved a call this Morning from a Manchester based debt recovery company. He claims I verbally agreed to take out some adverts with three different companies.

When I told him I hadn't and had recieved no invoices, he said it was done verbally over the phone and basically wanted paying.

I then said I wouldn't be paying and they could take me to court. He then said it wouldn't go to court and he was going to get a warrant of execution and to expect debt collectors.

But i was under the impression that they have to serve me with a county court order before anything can happen.

Any advice would be great.

:rotfl:

Ignore ... until a court contacts you :)
  • Atidi
    Atidi Posts: 943 Forumite
    He claimed because I'm based in Essex and they in manchester that they wouldn't need a county court judgement.

That might be true :cool:
    I suggest you make an appointment with the CAB and seek further advice ;)

... but don't go to one in either Essex or Manchester in case they are biassed!
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I recieved a call this Morning from a Manchester based debt recovery company. He claims I verbally agreed to take out some adverts with three different companies.

When I told him I hadn't and had recieved no invoices, he said it was done verbally over the phone and basically wanted paying.

I then said I wouldn't be paying and they could take me to court. He then said it wouldn't go to court and he was going to get a warrant of execution and to expect debt collectors.

But i was under the impression that they have to serve me with a county court order before anything can happen.

Any advice would be great.

Was there any reference to TAPA (Advertising Protection Agency)?
  • Rawhead wrote: »
    Could you link me to the DFW board please?

in case you're still trying to find it Debt Free Wannabe is here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76
    "And suddenly I find myself listening to a man I've never known before,
    Telling me about the sea..."
  • Had no calls yesterday or today so far.
  • Heffi1
    Heffi1 Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry for the delay, it looks like Jenna has linked to the DFW board, you will find lots of knowledgeable people on there who may know more if you still have questions.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76&order=desc&page=2
    :) Been here for a long time and don't often post
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,973 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The northwest, Manchester, Liverpool, Ormskirk seems to be a hotbed of scam advertising companies and related dodgy debt collection agents. If you know you didn't place any advertising, hold firm and do not part with any money. Let threm threaten you with court, it's really unlikely to happen.

Have you tried Googling the company name and the word scam, you will probably find you are not alone in being pestered by these people.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• I have googled them and they are all dodgy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure